Post-Game Talk: Flyers def. Canucks - 4-1 (Blueger) | On to 2024

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Last 2 Games I’ve been to were the Home Opener last year & tonight’s game.Got both sets of tickets for free but still feel like I got ripped off.

Safe to say, it may be a bit until my next game lol

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
i don't care about this game but i am annoyed that both of their worst efforts have come against this boring trap flyers team.

(i, however, love the flyers as my #2 team.)

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Great December, terrible last game. Team has shown they can respond, so not too worried. What a great year it's ben so far, tons of fun to watch (outside of these Philly games).

Reactions: Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Probably the worst opponent the Canucks could have played coming out of the break.....a suffocating trap team that simply waits for teams to make mistakes. And the Canucks obliged for the last 10 minutes in the second period.

Canucks looked like a team coming off a break....slow, sluggish and discombobulated. Easily one of their worst performances at home. But inevitable in a long, 82 game schedule.

If the Canucks come out flat again against the Sens next week, then you can break out the worry beads.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
These games are going to happen, nothing really to worry about, but the team obviously has weaknesses that will pop out every time we lose.

Middle of the defense is still not strong (even when Soucy returns) despite being 50 feet tall collectively and we have no play-driving wingers in the top-6. Garland you can argue is a play-driving winger but not a high end one and doesn't seem to fit with our top-6 centers anyway.

Maybe Miller can do more 5-on-5 but I find it hard to criticize him this year given his matchups and the fact one of his wingers has been a carcass for the last few seasons and is very much a support player and the other winger is usually some lower-end grinder.

So, #3 D-man and #1 or 2 winger are big holes on this team. That said, not expecting needs this significant to be filled overnight or very easily. Probably won't be this year in general, and it will be more of a natural thing where prospects (hopefully) push out roster players which will give us cap space to fill those needs. Best case scenario would obviously be one or two of those prospects becoming impact players themselves on their early cheap deals.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm kind of hoping to hear that several players will be out of the line up due to exhaustion, and that most of the rest have demanded a trade, after Tocchet, Foote, et. al. run this team into the ground over the next couple practices.

I don't have the language skills to convey how embaressed the whole team should be after this game.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Wow good thing I was in London for this one. 3 am start time and I was sleeping just like the boys.

Philly had our number this year unfortunately.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Another gem from last night’s post game

“The Canucks actually won the game based on expected goals”

Ugh

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Well if this was a dog race the announcer would say "#? pulled a muscle" at the start of the race.

They had turkey for xmas and decided to give the fans one too.

Wow, flat is a compliment. You could count the effective players on one hand.

That was a dry game, but that will be playoff hockey only with more hitting.

Kuzmenko looked pretty good out there, in fact he looked like one of the better players.

Boeser looked like a guy skating between the face off dots, just kind of floating around in the middle for most of the game.

But these will happen, in the recent past these types of games signalled a coming slump.

Allvin has to be saying to himself, "self, do I invest more of the future into this group?" "Are they worth the chance?"

Or is he in so deep he has to make changes at all costs for this 2 year window? The team will make the playoffs barring Edmonton surging up to third in the division, then it is/might be a coin toss for a WC spot.

That is a couple of games now where Tocchet can't be happy with the overall effort. After all the coach gets the team ready to play, prepared. But in his favour is that he has never crowed about this group being where it needs to be, but that could be just him getting ready to protect himself because most coaches would never say the team is doing great or is ready for the show this early.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Is it the case that "good teams don't play like this"?

It feels appropriate to say that. Obviously good teams lose games and they don't always play their best, but a team that has so much to prove, particularly given how they lost the last time they played, it's pretty telling that their best players brought that level of effort.

It's this kind of behaviour that keeps one from buying into, or trusting this group of players. The fact that this kind of game keeps showing up is a lot more problematic than the standing would suggest.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
1703875998378.png

Wow is this ugly for Brock. Easily his worst game of the season. Y'all calling out Zadorov were spot on too. Dreadful performance from him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Allvin is facing some tough decisions with this lineup. Although the Canucks have been the 'talk of the NHL' through 35 games, they're still 'a work in progress'.

And the Canucks are facing some hard choices with their UFA's. Blueger, Lafferty, Joshua, Cole, Zadorov and Myers are all without contracts for next season. Obviously with blueliners in high demand, Allvin will have an opportunity to 'sell high' on a couple of these guys at the TDL.

But of course depending on the return, he'll probably end up having to weaken the lineup over the short term. I'm sure they'll extend contract offers to Blueger, Lafferty and Joshua. But if they don't sign, what do you do?

Canucks can ill-afford to lose these guys for nothing.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I think its mostly our inability to control play 5on5 unless Connor Garland is on the ice.
That has to be it.

Allvin is facing some tough decisions with this lineup. Although the Canucks have been the 'talk of the NHL' through 35 games, they're still 'a work in progress'.

And the Canucks are facing some hard choices with their UFA's. Blueger, Lafferty, Joshua, Cole, Zadorov and Myers are all without contracts for next season. Obviously with blueliners in high demand, Allvin will have an opportunity to 'sell high' on a couple of these guys at the TDL.

But of course depending on the return, he'll probably end up having to weaken the lineup over the short term. I'm sure they'll extend contract offers to Blueger, Lafferty and Joshua. But if they don't sign, what do you do?

Canucks can ill-afford to lose these guys for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad