LeBrun: Flyers considering Jonathan Bernier

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Gotta make sure you’ve got space for him!

What to do.. what to do.. drop Ghost to make space?
A smart gm may have traded Gus in different trade or Gus picks/prospects for Bernier since they both make 3m and expire.

Flyers do not have a smart gm.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Bernier could have been a Vezina candidate this year if he had played more. Unreal how well he has played behind the Wings.

That said, I don't know if he would have the same amount of success (based on his history with Toronto) on a team with a lot more expectations/pressure than the Wings.
Meh, he wasn’t that bad on the Leafs. A little more consistency and he probably would have stuck. His first two seasons were pretty solid and while he struggled the third year, he was still 908 on the season. Honestly the Leafs took Andersen because he was available and seen as an upgrade(he was highly regarded at the time). Not because Bernier was horrifically bad.

Reactions: Realgud

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Misunderstanding here.

The flyers are making a run at the postseason, not in the postseason.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Flyers are doj
Misunderstanding here.

The flyers are making a run at the postseason, not in the postseason.
f Flyers are done... there only chance is a collapse by Pittsburgh and that don't seem likely at this point.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Meh, he wasn’t that bad on the Leafs. A little more consistency and he probably would have stuck. His first two seasons were pretty solid and while he struggled the third year, he was still 908 on the season. Honestly the Leafs took Andersen because he was available and seen as an upgrade(he was highly regarded at the time). Not because Bernier was horrifically bad.

Fair enough :thumbu:

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Only reason i could think is to try him out and see if there’s a fit to replace Elliot next season as well. He’s probably done and this would give another decent option to 1b*/platoon>backup eventually w Hart.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Are things this bad in Philly?
Of course not. .559 in tough division, goalies let them down again lately, blatant defensive breakdowns, covid, 2 important middle 6 guys Lindblom and Patrick need time after lost season, weird benching and lots of line juggling but still just a few pts off a spot in playoffs.

Won games they shouldnt have at the beginning, now losing some they should have won.

Good forward depth, prospect pool deep.

Call me crazy but next move would be trading Couturier. Doesnt want Sean with the usual 8 mil 7yr deal. Got the best of him. Get 2 young roster player, a right d and a center, an A prospect, a first unprotected in 2022. Kind of like Richards, Carter, Schenn past deals. Enjoyed best years of Voracek, Couturier, Simmonds, Schenn + Farabee, Frost for years to come.

Roll with Giroux, Hayes, Patrick, Laughton or player part of trade at center. Move back Giroux/Laughton to lw.

Will obviously sting big time this year and next.
Offers would be huge.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Flyers troubles are just on the goaltending?

Statistically, yes. The rest of the team is playing fairly well (the D could use some work), but i believe we were 12th in xGA and 30th in actual GA the other day. Neither goalie can make saves on shots they "should be" right now. Whether thats system related or goalie related is up for debate, but

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Statistically, yes. The rest of the team is playing fairly well (the D could use some work), but i believe we were 12th in xGA and 30th in actual GA the other day. Neither goalie can make saves on shots they "should be" right now. Whether thats system related or goalie related is up for debate, but
Seemed like the flyers got off to a very good start early in the season.
Certainly sounds like a trade is bringing a goalie on board soon...Will Elliot be going the other way? Or, would they send Hart to the AHL to find his game?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Seemed like the flyers got off to a very good start early in the season.
Certainly sounds like a trade is bringing a goalie on board soon...Will Elliot be going the other way? Or, would they send Hart to the AHL to find his game?

There's a fairly big debate as to whether Hart can go to the minors. Some people are reporting he's exempt and others that he's not. I dont believe he is so I can't imagine they do that (though I didn't imagine they'd waive someone who has been one of our best defenseman either, so who knows).

My guess is they'd carry three goalies at this point unless they can loophole Hart to Lehigh on a conditioning stint or something.

Reactions: BLONG7

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Are things this bad in Philly?
What if I told you these in Nov:

Morin and Friedman(both Dmen) are going to play games at forward
In fact, they are going to try and make Morin a full time forward
Morin at F will fail, then he will play games as a Dman
They will play Andreoff, who wasn't good enough to play any games last year for any NHL team
They will play Prosser, who wasn't good enough to play any games last year for any NHL team
Because of playing Prosser, they will lose Friedman to waivers
They will healthy scratch Konecny
They will healthy scratch Myers
Hart will be the worst goalie in the league
Farabee will be benched despite leading the team in goals
The Flyers PK will be 3rd worst in the league
They will waive Ghost....and if taken, will dress Gustaffson or Prosser instead

If someone had said 1...or 2 of theses would happen, most Flyers fans would be pissed. But ALL of them have happened....and more.

AV, MT, MY and Fletch are killing it!

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Of course not. .559 in tough division, goalies let them down again lately, blatant defensive breakdowns, covid, 2 important middle 6 guys Lindblom and Patrick need time after lost season, weird benching and lots of line juggling but still just a few pts off a spot in playoffs.

Won games they shouldnt have at the beginning, now losing some they should have won.

Good forward depth, prospect pool deep.

Call me crazy but next move would be trading Couturier. Doesnt want Sean with the usual 8 mil 7yr deal. Got the best of him. Get 2 young roster player, a right d and a center, an A prospect, a first unprotected in 2022. Kind of like Richards, Carter, Schenn past deals. Enjoyed best years of Voracek, Couturier, Simmonds, Schenn + Farabee, Frost for years to come.

Roll with Giroux, Hayes, Patrick, Laughton or player part of trade at center. Move back Giroux/Laughton to lw.

Will obviously sting big time this year and next.
Offers would be huge.
Couldn't agree more with the Couturier scenario. His next contract will be 8 yrs of which there will probably only be 4 productive if you are lucky

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Flyers troubles are just on the goaltending?
The troubles are organisational. The Flyers have always put their attention on building a strong and steady offense, but with the collection of 3rd & 4th liners that make up their current roster proves that their attempts have been a huge failure. They have paid very little attention to defense throughout the history of that franchise, even though they lucked out a few times with great defensemen (Mark Howe-Brad McCrimmon-Eric Desjardins-Chris Pronger). Ron Hextall was attempting to draft a good defensive corps, but since the lousy goaltending troubles they constantly have, along with the horrible salary cap troubles they have with their tremendously overpaid contracts to their overrated offensive players (who are offensive in more ways than their positions), they were forced to bring their young defense to the NHL. Hextall was fired, then they brought in a truly horrible GM (Chuck Fletcher) who screwed over the Minnesota Wild for many years, and he attempted to hire some veteran players to mentor the kids in signing Niskanen and Braun. Niskanen did a fine job pairing up with Provorov, Nisky erased many of Provy's mistakes on the icem which made Provy appear like a top tier defenseman (which he may become someday). Nisky retired (he hated playing in the bubble, and didn't want to be away from his young family, and he also won the Stanley Cup already with his former team), and I don't blame him for calling it quits. Fletcher dragged his feet when deciding who to hire and fill Niskanen's shoes, he picked Erik Gustafsson who is brutally awful on the defensive side of his game, so Fletcher shat the bed with his decision.
The goaltending mistakes this team has made over the years should be written in a book for what not to do when addressing the position of goaltending. They took a 22 year old prospect and elevated him to become their number 1 goalie. They kept an inconsistent 30 something goalie as his backup because the two goalies had a good relationship (which is important in building a two tandem goalie system, but Elliot is too inconsistent to rely on in case of an injury). Due to the disaster that makes up the horrible defensive corps on this team, both goalies have looked very porous. Carter Hart doesn't like losing and he doesn't like being exposed the way he's been by that horrible defense, after one of the loses early in the season in Boston, Carter Hart showed his frustration after the game by shattering his stick over the crossbar of his net. That was an indication that he was having some issues. Rather than having the option to send Hart to the AHL for a few games (due to the fact that he'd have to clear waivers to get there), Hart has been used throughout the slump of this awful team. His confidence is as shattered as the stick he splintered over his net in January.
In the meantime Shayne Gostisbehere (who is a special team PP defenseman, who is a horrible defensive defenseman), was put on waivers, and Fletcher is now considering making a trade with Detroit to bring in Bernier as a back-up goalie to the back-up goalie Elliot while Hart is rehabbing with the goaltending coach in private practice sessions.
The team is a dumpster fire because of their mishandling from the ownership to the GM, and they have a very good coach that is being blamed for the horrible mistakes the lousy team makes in each and every game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad