Post-Game Talk: FLYERS at Panthers |Sat., Nov. 1, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
To clarify, Blinds, I never said Giroux wasn't blameless. In fact, I thought last night's game was his weakest game thus far.

The purpose of my post was to attack the premise you laid out earlier. Here it is:

The guy in the slot probably has the least to do with the success of the powerplay.

That's what I mainly took issue with. Yes, the PP runs through Giroux. Yes, the guy on the point is a critical component. But neither of those are what make it the best PP unit in the league (what it should be and often is). What makes it the best PP unit in the league is having five highly specialized players in roles that are tailored to their skill sets. The guy in the slot has plenty to do with the success of our PP, and when this player is effectively moving in and out of soft spots in the slot, he has the power to dictate where the PKers are drawn.

It's not enough to draw defenders toward you by standing still. Yes, VL drew some attention, but that made Giroux's options highly predictable. With movement, Giroux constantly has passing lanes opening and closing, and he's able to read what the PK gives him and pick an option that they are not ready for.

In addition, Simmonds needs to be engaged in front of the net in pictures 1 and 2. It's not solely Lecavalier's fault, and never did I try to argue this. I am only showing you the ways in which Lecavalier's movements could have left the PK guessing. Giroux was forcing passes last night, as well. I'm not pinning the blame on Lecavalier alone. I'm only saying that Lecavalier's skill set is not suited for a role that requires him to be VERY subtle in shifting into soft spots on the ice. That's hardly an unreasonable suggestion. Subtlety and deceit are major components on our PP1 unit, and much of that hinges on what the slot guy is doing.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You're confusing what I'm saying. By personal attack, I mean that you're resorting to attacking his reputation to discredit his argument. I'm not saying that you're calling him names or anything like that, it's just a poor way to argue.

But see, calling me "pathetically hypersensitive" is a more blatant personal attack that is irrelevant to this discussion.

If a guy comes in here and says Giroux is the worst player on the team, they better damn well have some facts to support it. If the guy then goes on to say "Vinny is bad", would you consider that wrong because he previously said Giroux is bad? No, you would probably agree because the arguments in favor of that statement are compelling.

All I'm saying is consider the arguments, not the person. You didn't even entertain what he had to say, you just dismissed it because he previously stated an opinion you disagreed with.

Look back at what I initially said again, I never agreed or disagreed with his opinion.

All I did was point out the hypocrisy in him accusing the writer of a "poor analysis" and "being biased" when he's done both of those things in the extremely recent past.

I wasn't personally attacking him to discredit his argument, I was merely saying that it was insanely ironic that he of all people would say those two things..

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
just gonna chime in since i had to waste my time reading that photographic analysis. i didnt see the game, and i dont know who wrote that but its nothing less than a joke and thankfully made me laugh at least. dont bother reading it if you havent- someone hates VL enough to think his breathing is throwing off the rhythm off the team and wants you to feel the same. as a disclaimer, like most people here i don't want him around.

edit: sg12lw pretty easily explained how biased it is on pg7 and left out a few other points because he didnt really need them to show that.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
just gonna chime in since i had to waste my time reading that photographic analysis. i didnt see the game, and i dont know who wrote that but its nothing less than a joke and thankfully made me laugh at least. dont bother reading it if you havent- someone hates VL enough to think his breathing is throwing off the rhythm off the team and wants you to feel the same. as a disclaimer, like most people here i don't want him around.

edit: sg12lw pretty easily explained how biased it is on pg7 and left out a few other points because he didnt really need them to show that.

So you didn't actually watch the game and have no idea if Vinny was disrupting the PP or not, but you're just gonna blindly assume he wasn't?

Newsflash: He was.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Then you're missing the point. Lecavalier hardly moved when Giroux had the puck. All my "analysis" was intended to do was show how Lecavalier's movement could have created space for other passing lanes to open up. That was all. I was not arguing that Lecavalier alone killed our PP.

And as I've already said, I think the Lecavalier scapegoating is at an absurd level right now. He did not cost us the game nor is he a useless player. I'm only saying that Lecavalier's skill set is not cut out for that role on that particular unit.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
All this because Berube can't coach... He's tearing this board apart :laugh:

It's obvious that Vinnu doesn't fit on PP1, put him back on the second unit, he did well there last year.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
What's the average tenure of a pro sports coach? An NHL coach?

It's a foregone conclusion that complaints about a coach will eventually pay off, just like it's a foregone conclusion that complaints about a political leader will eventually pay off. You don't even have to know you're doing it to be able to intuit the numbers being in your favor. Sooner or later, you'll inevitably get to say the magic words "I told you so."

What's sad is how little thought people put into reality when working on gaining themselves entry into this Ultimate Promised Land. It's enough for them to brigade a point until a vocal minority feels a certain way, all just for the sake of their vanity.

Nothing new though. It happens constantly all around the internet and is certainly not confined to this board. It's starting to look more and more like it's the main thing the internet is used for now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Do you have evidence to back up your claim? It's easy to dismiss evidence when you're unable to counter it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

It's obvious that Vinnu doesn't fit on PP1, put him back on the second unit, he did well there last year.

Basically this. Berube and Vinny both think he's Young Vinny. He isn't. They need to figure out that he's Old Vinny and find his proper usage. He does have one. He isn't Rinaldo, though many act like he is.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Vinny is not a good option on the PP. But like I said earlier Berube is a stubborn man if he is trying to force something to work.
the guy is not a good head coach. But unfortunately the options out there to replace him right now are worse.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Vinny is not a good option on the PP. But like I said earlier Berube is a stubborn man if he is trying to force something to work.
the guy is not a good head coach. But unfortunately the options out there to replace him right now are worse.
You've got lots of new ideas.

No really. You're not repeating yourself at all or anything.

And you're certainly not doing it because you're insecure about not getting the last word in.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014

And you're certainly not doing it because you're insecure about not getting the last word in.

You've got lots of new ideas as well.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Vinny's just not a good fit for this roster. I still think he can have success on another team. He's still a pretty solid secondary scoring option.

The lineup was operating smoothly without him for the most part, and now things are out of whack again because Berube has to make a spot for him. There's no natural place for him to fit in.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

what in the bloody hell are you talking about? haven't we all been repeating ourselves about Berube and his decisions he makes?
but I am insecure? I have no ****ing idea how you came up with that conclusion. :laugh:

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
If someone can't recognize that standing literally still with your stick cocked in an obvious shooting position is not a good PP tactic for the slot role, then you are truly lost in terms of hockey knowledge

I've never seen someone do that once let alone twice an NHL game. I actually started laughing when I saw that live. It was absurd.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
haven't we all been repeating ourselves about Berube and his decisions he makes?
A bunch of you have been repeating yourselves. And boy, you sure do repeat yourselves.

I wish you'd stop. It's legitimately become propaganda. You don't know you're doing it because it's too much fun for you. But please, give it a rest.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
A bunch of you have been repeating yourselves. And boy, you sure do repeat yourselves.

I wish you'd stop. It's legitimately become propaganda. You don't know you're doing it because it's too much fun for you. But please, give it a rest.

So do we have run posts by you for an ok before hitting the submit button?

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
your join date says 2012 but your posts read like it's your first day here
I'd prefer it if you didn't personally attack me.

Thanks.

edit: if anyone took my characterization of them of 'insecure' on a personal level, I apologize. I assure you it was directed at a subset of people in general.

Last edited:

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Do you have evidence to back up your claim? It's easy to dismiss evidence when you're unable to counter it.

thats why i quote someone who had already countered it. i figure theres enough of ppl saying the same **** over and over around here.

the edit on my first post answers your question, so why did you bother to ask it? it was edited well before you trying to respond.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad