Recalled/Assigned: Flyers assign Raffl and Lauridsen to the Phantoms

RJ8812*

Lauridsen, another player who had a short stint last year and was pegged in the top 6 by a lot of people for this season, has looked bad so far

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
[/B]

Then what player should be the third line winger? Laughton? McGinn? Raffl? None of these guys have really shown much.

I think Talbot has actually looked pretty good there from the limited pre season games I've watched. For those 3 players specifically they're young enough that they should improve (Laughton in particular) what you see is what you get with Gagne.

Bill_Meltzer

Jan 28, 2005
So does VandeVelde need to be reassigned to the Phantoms or is it just automatic since he is on a AHL only deal? Given his game last night, I can't imagine they want or need to give him another look.

Technically, he's a tryout player with an AHL contract. However, when the Flyers announced previous roster cuts, they announced they'd released Todd Orlando from his tryout. They also announced when AHL-contracted Zack FitzGerald was "assigned" to the Phantoms.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Technically, he's a tryout player with an AHL contract. However, when the Flyers announced previous roster cuts, they announced they'd released Todd Orlando from his tryout. They also announced when AHL-contracted Zack FitzGerald was "assigned" to the Phantoms.

Hopefully it is just to see if he earns a nhl deal rather actually being on the opening night roster. Overall, I am very underwhelmed with this entire preseason and roster "battles". Guess the positives are Morin and Cousins though.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Talbot isnt a 3rd line winger. Lavy just likes to play him there. The guy looks overworked when playing on the 3rd line for long periods of time. Read and Couturier are going to have some trouble scoring.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
The Flyers facebook is full of the biggest idiots I've ever seen. The top rated comments are a guy wanting Lauridsen to make the team and the other to sign Gagne. :shakehead

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Talbot isnt a 3rd line winger. Lavy just likes to play him there. The guy looks overworked when playing on the 3rd line for long periods of time. Read and Couturier are going to have some trouble scoring.

If you could take any other third line winger on the league to play with Couturier and Read, who would it be?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I liked Gagne as much as the next guy and if they signed him to a vet min contract I wouldn't really have an issue, but some people seem to think he's a god damn savior.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
If you could take any other third line winger on the league to play with Couturier and Read, who would it be?

Well I was not on the "Resign Gagne" side at all, but I would 100% have him over Talbot on the 3rd line spot. Honestly, I didnt think Raffl played that bad to get demoted. Now mind you he really hasnt done much but didnt play bad. Doubt they keep Cousins up or move him to wing but now my hope is on him.

It was Vandevelde over Raffl.

VV hasnt even looked that good either which is wierd they are keeping him up. Only thing I can tell is Lavy saying "he's a hard worker"

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would take Gagne on the same deal Mason Raymond got - one year at $1 million.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
What's the reason? I'm not trying to stir things up, I just think Gagne would've been a better option than what's available. I still maintain my stance that he was pretty good last year.

The advanced stats say he was pretty terrible. Can we please stop talking about Gagne? :help:

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
At this point, it is looking like either the 3rd or 4th line will have a deficiency. Not sure what the solution is, given the individuals available.

I'm not in love with playing Laughton on the wing. I wonder what kind of heavy lifting you can expect of him if you make him the 4C.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
VV hasnt even looked that good either which is wierd they are keeping him up. Only thing I can tell is Lavy saying "he's a hard worker"

I think Raffl was up for the 3rd line spot while VV's only shot is on the 4th line. If he makes the team I imagine Talbot will be on the 3rd line which I'm really not a fan of. I think it comes down to management thinking VV was better at his role then Raffl was at his.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I think Raffl was up for the 3rd line spot while VV's only shot is on the 4th line. If he makes the team I imagine Talbot will be on the 3rd line which I'm really not a fan of. I think it comes down to management thinking VV was better at his role then Raffl was at his.

True. This seems like the most logical thing to assume. Like the past two seasons though Talbot will start to struggle on the 3rd line and Lavy will have to move someone else up. Always happens so I do not understand why Lavy plays that game.

They also seem set to try and keep up Laughton no matter how he plays. The kid really needs to go back. Looks outmatched out there.

Honestly Raffl didn't look the best out there but I was hoping him staying up would make Laughton get sent back and Akeson/McGinn/Straka/Noebels/Cousins to work on things to be ready for a callup. Now with Raffl in that bunch the callups are getting crowded.

Hoping they move Cousins to wing and try him out on the 3rd line tonight.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think Raffl will be back within 20 games, and they just want to make sure he can play well in the AHL before playing him in the NHL. As Vandevelde has played in the NHL before, and is more of a known quantity.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand the logic.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lauridsen, another player who had a short stint last year and was pegged in the top 6 by a lot of people for this season, has looked bad so far

I think he was only pegged that because the Flyers needed someone on the roster who is cheap on the cap, and it was more worth it than having Gervais around.

Raffl might be a paper move. I think he's won the spot.

Edit: Guess not

Dave Isaac @davegisaac
After talking with Homer, sounds like VandeVelde going on a two-way deal is a real possibility. Said Raffl needed time on NA ice.

Right move for Raffl to go down, but we heard so much about how the Flyers thought he was an NHL player already.

Last edited:

Evergreen

So....

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Vinny-Simmonds
Laughton-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo

Something like that?
I'd bet Talbot would play LW on a line with Couturier and Read, while Laughton would center the 4th line, with Hall shifting to RW and Rinaldo taking the LW spot. But who the **** knows?

Evergreen

Raffl might be a paper move. I think he's won the spot.

I feel like I wasn't watching the same preseason as many of you guys on this board. Raffl did not look good. He is a skilled player, but he would get poke-checked or laid out with a hit just past the blue line whenever he tried to carry the puck into the offensive zone. He lost board battles in the corners. It appeared obvious to me that he is used to having much more time with the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad