Confirmed with Link: Flyers Acquire Braun for 41 overall + '20 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Bang on, Trouba was also a cap casualty, as they could of went one more year and dealt with him later, but cap wouldnt allow it

Teouba wasnt a cap casualty. It was getting a disgruntled player out of the locker room and getting some value before it was too late.

Cap is a secondary concern in the Trouba deal. You make room for players like Trouba. You dont do that for Braun.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Gudas has never played the type of minutes either Niskanen or Braun consistently have for years, let alone in conference & Cup finals.
Braun is also really good on the PK, IIRC.
Last year of a contract so if the young guys step up he can be moved at the deadline.

Prov - Niskanen
Sanheim- Braun
Ghost - Myers
Morin

Hagg - traded

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Teouba wasnt a cap casualty. It was getting a disgruntled player out of the locker room and getting some value before it was too late.

Cap is a secondary concern in the Trouba deal. You make room for players like Trouba. You dont do that for Braun.

They couldn't make room for Trouba even for one more year, the cap played big in not keeping him as their own rental

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Check back on this deal when Stralman/Edler sign for 2 years $4.5M AAV.
And? Were they signing here? Guarantee?

Edler....a LHD....just what we need.

You make it seem like you get everything you want. You think Fletch wanted Braun over Trouba? Or maybe Trouba had a say in things too.

You just are really underrating Braun....and you can't deny it based on your Schlemko comment. Unless you have been drinking, you have no excuse for such foolishness.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
The only reason they moved on from Trouba is because he didnt want to be there. If he was willing to sign, he wouldn't have been a casualty at all.

They had his control for one more year, they could of kept him, nut salary cap wouldnt allow it with the other deals needed

Reactions: hatcher

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm sure Fletcher has talked to every GM, asked about the price for Spurgeon, etc.
There are no decent D-men in FA left, and few available in trade, and even fewer RHD.

I also think that DEFENSE was the priority, we have FOUR defensemen with above average offensive skills, even with Provorov's limitations he's one of the best goal scoring D-men in the league. What we lacked were defensemen who knew how to play in their own end.

Repeat, we're throwing a 21 year old goaltender out there as our starter, protecting him isn't the worst use of assets.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
clearly gudas didn't like that.

:facepalm:

giphy.gif

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The one thing here, and I simply quote you because you are bringing it up.

What Niskanen and Braun HAVE done, to me doesn't hold as much value. There is a reason they have been identified as pieces that are expendable. Its because they are declining, and what they used to be able to do at such a quality level, is not the same as it is today/going forward.
Well, Braun just averaged over 21 minutes for a team one game away from the Cup final, & Niskanen averaged 25 minutes for the Cup winner the prior season while averaging 23 per game in the regular season for an excellent team.

Let’s not act like they’ve fallen off the cliffs & weren’t still taking on huge roles for 2 of the league’s very best teams. And let’s not undersell how much those two teams cap situations forced their hands. The Flyers had the cap room to take advantage, & a D that sure needed the defensive upgrades.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
The one thing here, and I simply quote you because you are bringing it up.

What Niskanen and Braun HAVE done, to me doesn't hold as much value. There is a reason they have been identified as pieces that are expendable. Its because they are declining, and what they used to be able to do at such a quality level, is not the same as it is today/going forward.
and if we resign him to an Amac deal it's a problem. As a one year stop gap...it's relatively a non issue.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

You make it seem like you get everything you want. You think Fletch wanted Braun over Trouba? Or maybe Trouba had a say in things too.

You just are really underrating Braun....and you can't deny it based on your Schlemko comment. Unless you have been drinking, you have no excuse for such foolishness.
We won't know because he didn't even try.
He could have traded for Braun after FA if he had no luck.

And yeah, we actually did need a LD more than RD, that way he'd replace Morin/Hagg's spot on the 3rd pair, instead of taking Ghosts spot on the right side.

Reactions: baudib1

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Price still seems steep. I wonder if they were worried someone else would trade for him. 2nd and 3rd for a possible rental? I wonder if waiting would have helped-- Sharks after signing EK seemed to need some cap flex.

Reactions: baudib1

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

If this was 3 years ago, getting Niskanen and Braun would be terrific.

It's not 3 years ago.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Price still seems steep. I wonder if they were worried someone else would trade for him. 2nd and 3rd for a possible rental? I wonder if waiting would have helped-- Sharks after signing EK seemed to need some cap flex.

You don't throw extra assets at a middling declining player because you're worried someone else is going to take him.

Reactions: Flyotes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad