Confirmed with Link: Flyers Acquire Braun for 41 overall + '20 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I dont know enough about Braun to complain. Its clear Fletcher doesnt want inexperience to hold this team back in anyway. The fact that these guys (nisk and braun) are not long term commitments at least shows hes still putting stock in the kids.

In many ways this is a Hextall type move...only difference being Hexy would sign the vet rather than trade for him.

The key to these moves is simple. Wanting more experience as a fallback is fine...but if the kids outplay these older guys than AV/Fletch need to recognize that and not continue to favor the veterans just cause.

If mid season our best 4 D are clearly 9, 53, 6, and 61...then they need to be the top 4 without hesitation.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Kind of, but its not a fool proof way to manage. Hexy wouldnt waiver, and you have to be able to do both.

So far we are out a 2nd a 3rd plus whatever comes back from next move, not a ton to flip about.
And I'm not flipping about it, in fact, out of people who dislike the move, I think I've been one of the most tame.

I don't like it and I don't think it's a good way to add to the team. I'd have been fine with trading those picks for someone to help the defense, but I don't like that they targeted a cap dump who is aging, clearly declining, and is typically only useful in the defensive zone. That's the kind of thing we should be (and were when Hextall was here) moving away from. Whatever you disagreed with Hextall about, that shouldn't have been one of the things.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Fletcher isn’t necessarily bad but he’s rather mediocre. More concerning is Scott & Homer prodding him to do ****. He’s held them from doing something catastrophically dumb so far like those two would probably have no issue doing.

He’s helped two teams so far that are/were desperate for capspace rather than taking advantage of them. The two guys he brought in are older guys coming terrible seasons. So he’s gambling these guys aren’t declining which isn’t out of the question. He traded a draft pick for signing rights (a fifth rounder isn’t a whole lot but I just hate it on principle regardless of what the pick is). We’ll what he does with the Hayes contract. At least gambling on a 27 year old coming off a good year is better in theory.

I don’t like the moves. They’re not going to kill us but I just don’t really see them moving the needle either. Hopefully there’s some balance & this isn’t basically having Homer back going forward.

We aren't at 2010-11 Offseason Homer levels, so there's that.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
And I'm not flipping about it, in fact out of people who dislike the move I think I've been one of the most tame.

I don't like it and I don't think it's a good way to add to the team. I'd have be fine with trading those picks for someone to help the defense, but I don't like that they targeted a cap dump who is aging, clearly declining, and is typically only useful in the defensive zone. That's the kind of thing we should be (and were when Hextall was here) moving away from. Whatever you disagreed with Hextall about, that shouldn't have been one of the things.

He is not a cap dump, when you pay 25 mill for your top 3 D men, 75% of the D in the league would be a cap dump by that definition

Reactions: hatcher

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
And I'm not flipping about it, in fact out of people who dislike the move I think I've been one of the most tame.

I don't like it and I don't think it's a good way to add to the team. I'd have be fine with trading those picks for someone to help the defense, but I don't like that they targeted a cap dump who is aging, clearly declining, and is typically only useful in the defensive zone. That's the kind of thing we should be (and were when Hextall was here) moving away from. Whatever you disagreed with Hextall about, that shouldn't have been one of the things.

Its not moving picks thats the issue. It's about who you are going after as a GM.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Gudas has never played the type of minutes either Niskanen or Braun consistently have for years, let alone in conference & Cup finals.

The one thing here, and I simply quote you because you are bringing it up.

What Niskanen and Braun HAVE done, to me doesn't hold as much value. There is a reason they have been identified as pieces that are expendable. Its because they are declining, and what they used to be able to do at such a quality level, is not the same as it is today/going forward.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't love the moves, but I don't hate them.
Gudas was a 3rd pair defenseman, if he plays in the top 4 in Washington, he'll soon be exposed.
Niskanen and Braun are top 4 defensemen, on the downslope, but reliable veterans.

If they were long-term additions I'd barf, but given our combination of talent and inexperience on defense, especially playing DEFENSE, they're solid additions as mentors and defensive anchors to four offensively talented young defensemen. Braun may be a cipher offensively, but he's an elite defensive defenseman.

As far as Morin, he'll get PT, injuries are inevitable and he needs to be gradually worked in.
Myers is going to start as the 3RD, he'll be in the top four next year when Braun leaves.

Remember, we have an inexperienced goaltender who could use some experienced D-men keeping him clean.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I like Braun, but two picks are a bit much, especially since San Jose needed to make moves.

This move keeps Ghost and Sanheim on the left side, where I prefer them... as long as one isn't the next to go.

Provy-Niskanen
Sanheim-Braun
Ghost-Myers
Morin

That's a defense to get excited about.

Only read through the first couple of pages, but it looks like most are unhappy with this move. I get that the price was a bit much, but the defense looks so much better than it has in years.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
So you want to commit to multiple years opposed to stop gaps ? Not me, I want the keys handed over to the top 4 sooner than later

If Braun has value as a one-year rental, Stralman and Edler do too. And they're not complete zeroes on offense either.

This package would be a reasonable payment for a Spurgeon rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad