Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4, Penguins 2 - Letang Giveth Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
If 2 or 3 extra days of rest was going to fix what's wrong with him, he'd have been given 2 or 3 days of extra rest at some point over the last two months.

Also, he puts his head down like that every game, even when he's playing his absolute best.

-Its not going to fix it. But sometimes an extra day makes a lot of difference. Tonight was his worst game maybe ever as a Penguin. I mean he couldnt even shoot a wide open shot anywhere near the goal. His entire game was off. For everything you do in a sport to be wrong, it comes down to fatigue. And if you played sports, power lifted, whatever, 1 extra day can sometimes be a big boost.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
both of the potential 2nd round matchups are worse teams than the Caps were last year though.
I don't think we can say that just yet. We got by the caps last year. Currently we're not even done with Philly. I think that remains to be seen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think we can say that just yet. We got by the caps last year. Currently we're not even done with Philly. I think that remains to be seen.
I don't need to see the Penguins play the Caps to know that the 2018 Caps are a worse team than the 2017 Caps. It's pretty damn clear.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
-Its not going to fix it. But sometimes an extra day makes a lot of difference. Tonight was his worst game maybe ever as a Penguin. I mean he couldnt even shoot a wide open shot anywhere near the goal. His entire game was off. For everything you do in a sport to be wrong, it comes down to fatigue. And if you played sports, power lifted, whatever, 1 extra day can sometimes be a big boost.
again, nobody is saying it is better that we lost today. But seriously, if an extra day of rest was what Kessel needed, we'd have given it to him by now. He's not fatigued. He's injured.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't need to see the Penguins play the Caps to know that the 2018 Caps are a worse team than the 2017 Caps. It's pretty damn clear.
I think our level of confidence in this current group of Pens is very very different. I think that's safe to say. It wouldn't surprise me if we lose in the 2hd round, or if we squeaked it out. But I really don't expect us to put up much against the atlantic division winner, IF we get that far.

Reactions: Angrrus

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Our powerplay was the deciding factor in this game. Didn't convert and GAVE a shorthanded goal away because of bad puck management. They gotta fix their powerplay if Hornquist is out to have Shultz run it from up high

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think our levels of confidence in this current group of Pens is very very different. I think that's safe to say. It wouldn't surprise me if we lose in the 2hd round, or if we squeaked it out. But I really don't expect us to put up much against the atlantic division winner, IF we get that far.
and if they lose tomorrow and end up needed game 6 vs their flawed opponents, does that change things?

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I don't think NSH is as great as everyone seems to think. Also, I think the AVs are a better team than Philly.

I think your family and cardiovascular health would thank you if you could just possibly, maybe just once, try to look at something positively.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm also not so sure what to do with the lines with both Phil and Simon not playing all that well with a little ZAR mixed in.

3rd line was fine tonight other than a horrible failed exit. Sully had a do over, he probably sends out Sheahan or Kuhn on LW instead of Sheary.

Jake-Sid-Jooris/ZAR <while Jooris isn't Horny he plays a similar game.
Hags-G-Rust/Phil
Sheary-Brass-Phil/Rust
Kuhn-Sheahan-ZAR/Jooris

Without a Wilkes player coming up, this is probably the best you can get atm.
one line sully won't touch and thats Sheary Brass Rust, Sid and Jake and Hags and Geno, all other shuffling can be done

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Honestly, I just don't get why the Flyers are being treated like some garbage pile of a team. They are an NHL team good enough to make the playoffs. That means they are good enough to win hockey games.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
and if they lose tomorrow and end up needed game 6 vs their flawed opponents, does that change things?
No, because we needed to gain an advantage in that regard. And that would just level things. That said I doubt either of those teams lose.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think your family and cardiovascular health would thank you if you could just possibly, maybe just once, try to look at something positively.
Positivity kills creativity positively... or something around here.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
again, nobody is saying it is better that we lost today. But seriously, if an extra day of rest was what Kessel needed, we'd have given it to him by now. He's not fatigued. He's injured.

-What type of injury do you have that impacts slow skating, poor shooting, poor passing, poor decision making and being hunched over on the bench with your head down looking for an inhaler with the game tied 2-2 in the 3rd period. Is he dying? What type of injury is this? Because Ive never heard of it impacting every single element of a single players play and game in every single facet of the game. What the hell is wrong with him or what type of injury impacts a player to play but completely suck in all facets of the game? Kessel couldnt stand idle and shoot the puck on goal.

Reactions: Angrrus

MrsDoubtfire

Jun 12, 2017
people stop crying, it would be boring if we won every damn game. we blew it, got lazy, flyers played like a team on elimination. it happens. every game this series on paper we were the better team. so we are not getting shut down by no means. I like our chances sunday, but we have to bring some desperate play also.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
The bottom six is actually playing pretty well and team scoring hasn't been a problem for months.

Daniel Sprong as a saviour is one of the dumbest things I've read here.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
-What type of injury do you have that impacts slow skating, poor shooting, poor passing, poor decision making and being hunched over on the bench with your head down looking for an inhaler with the game tied 2-2 in the 3rd period. Is he dying? What type of injury is this? Because Ive never heard of it impacting every single element of a single players play and game in every single facet of the game. What the hell is wrong with him or what type of injury impacts a player to play but completely suck in all facets of the game? Kessel couldnt stand idle and shoot the puck on goal.
I'm not sure, but it's not like he has slowly gotten ot this point. It was a black and white change one day. As for what it is, I would guess something in the core to impact his overall game as it has.

As for the bold, did you just start watching? He's been doing that for years. He probably did it in game 1 of the season. That's nothing new, and he does it at his absolute best just as much as when he's struggling.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Honestly, I just don't get why the Flyers are being treated like some garbage pile of a team. They are an NHL team good enough to make the playoffs. That means they are good enough to win hockey games.

For me, it's less about disrespecting the Flyers, and more about how the Pens shot themselves in the foot with a couple of really, really dumb plays that lead to goals.

If the Flyers had been dominant and earned their goals through their own hard work, it would be one thing. But the Pens' stupidity and lackadaisical play on goals 2 and 3 were the kind of plays no team who is serious about finishing off an opponent should make.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C

And they were pretty hot coming into the playoffs. They have some excellent players over there. This ain't some ECHL team. Pens just need to readjust and get ready for Sunday.

Hopefully Horny is ready to go though. He's such a key player for us.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If I knew the address of about 25 of the posters here, I'd be contacting 911 or police in their hometowns requesting welfare checks.

There are some people that are WAY too down about being up 3-2 in a playoff series after winning 2 Stanley Cups.
For sure. Health and welfare checks it's a military thing. We did them. The board needs to implement such measures.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Part of the problem is that Guentzel covered back as the first forward back while the center went for a change. Both Dumoulin and Letang share blame for leaving the front of the net unguarded, for sure. But our unorthodox backcheck combined with Giroux being very slick led to a solid snipe on their end.

It's a system defect, but I can understand how it's tempting to scapegoat. It's an adjustment that needs to be made across the board.

I was describing the SHG that tied it at 2, not Giroux's goal that made it 1-0 Philly.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
I'm not sure, but it's not like he has slowly gotten ot this point. It was a black and white change one day. As for what it is, I would guess something in the core to impact his overall game as it has.

As for the bold, did you just start watching? He's been doing that for years. He probably did it in game 1 of the season. That's nothing new, and he does it at his absolute best just as much as when he's struggling.

-No, I have not. Although I did not watch him in Toronto. I have watched him fully in Pittsburgh in the regular season, around 50 games a year. Including the last 2 playoff runs. I also never seen him look completely lifeless like I saw him on the ice tonight. There is injury, there is depression, there is not caring, there is, I dont know, Im looking for any type of answer here and I cant seem to find one. Murray had injuries, his dad died, and he doesnt look lifeless, fatigued, or any of the above. There is something wrong with him. His whole game is off. The last time I can remember an impact pro player going from potential dominator to complete garbage because of personal problems / addictions is Tiger Woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce