Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4, Penguins 2 - Letang Giveth Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
The highlighted sentence was about FINISHING. Finishing is a "luck" variance thing for lower skilled players, but it's more about mental focus for highly skilled players. They are too good to keep shooting into a goalie for 60 minutes when they are really dialed in.

Haha, the troll is back. Typical.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Some of you people are really just.......I don't know.

It's ok to be frustrated, but this is a new level of psychosis, even for HF.

Many of you should just cheer for different teams, or make your "commenting" and post game discussion Facebook exclusive. The doom and gloom and flat out near-hatred pointed at this team in this thread is pathetic.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
and he was still probably 3rd on the list of guys I'd blame on the play. And then he robbed them of another shorty like 20 seconds later.

If you expect Murray to be perfect every single night, you're going to be disappointed. He did this both of the last two years too. The key is that he can let in a softish goal without collapsing. That's what playoff Murray is. Seriously, the kid has given up 8 goals in 5 games and you're calling for him to revert to PO Murray after a 3 goal against game against a team that averages 3 goals a game. Your expectations have to be hilariously out of whack :laugh:

I expect him to stop the ones he should stop for a nhl goalie....he doesn’t have to be miraculous... two of the three he could do nothing about...the team around him has to do better too, but he’s the last line of defense and it doesn’t absolve him ...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I expect him to stop the ones he should stop for a nhl goalie....he doesn’t have to be miraculous... two of the three he could do nothing about...the team around him has to do better too, but he’s the last line of defense and it doesn’t absolve him ...
But every single NHL goalie who has ever played gives up goals that he should stop. It's going to happen. We're going to score that way too. In fact, we did score that way last night. So like I said, if you expect him to stop every shot that he "should" save, your expectations are out of whack. That's not absolving him. He would be the first to say he needs to be better. Saying he can and should be better is reasonable, but talking about him needing to revert to PO form is just silly. He's given up far worse goals in his playoff career. I suspect he'll give up some more too.

Last edited:

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
You realize the other team actually does have some agency in the outcome of games too, right? It's not JUST based on how the Pens play. Seriously, the Pens played a hell of a lot better in game 2 than they just did in game 5, but game 5 was a lot closer than game 2. Something has to be impacting that other than the Pens performance. It's a wild theory, but I submit that the performance of the Flyers is actually a pretty important contributor to the outcome of these games. Maybe even equal to the performance of the Penguins.

This is the NHL playoffs. The other teams DO NOT SUCK. They just don't. Sure some teams are better than others, but the margin is not all that wide. We don't have to play like complete ass to lose to these guys. A few ill-timed mistakes can cost any team in these playoffs a game vs any other team in these playoffs.

No! It's all about the Pens! Flyers are trash!
:laugh: Trying my impersonation of some of our fellow posters.

Seriously though, good post.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
But every single NHL goalie who has ever played gives up goals that he should stop. It's going to happen. We're going to score that way too. In fact, we did score that way last night. So like I said, if you expect him to stop every shot that he "should" save, your expectations are out of whack. That's not absolving him. He would be the first to say he needs to be better. Saying he can and should be better is reasonable, but talking about him needing to revert to PO form is just silly. He's given up far worse goals in his playoff career. I suspect he'll give up some more too.

Perhaps I have higher expectations of him than you do...We’ve all seen him when he’s on...in no way would I ever put him in the same sentence as Neuvirth....

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Perhaps I have higher expectations of him than you do...We’ve all seen him when he’s on...in no way would I ever put him in the same sentence as Neuvirth....
My point is that PO Murray isn't some infallible goalie. This was Murray's 11th postseason game with a SV% below .900. The idea of reverting to PO Murray is just silly, because this has been a part of playoff Murray every year so far. He's really f***ing good, but he's not perfect. Though admittedly, he's pretty damn close to it in games following those poor games.

As for the bold, I believe that is indeed the point I've been making :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Rough game. The PP had the chance to win this one despite all the other issues in the game, that is supposed to be the Pens difference maker, in games like this the PP needs to come up big.

I hope Malkin isn't too banged up.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We are becoming like Montreal fans when it comes to being overly critical of goaltending.

I can barely keep up with this thread. :laugh: Oh well some key players made mistakes. It happens. I trust this team. Every single time we lose even one game, it's like the sky is falling. So weird.

It's not meant to be easy.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I can barely keep up with this thread. :laugh: Oh well some key players made mistakes. It happens. I trust this team. Every single time we lose even one game, it's like the sky is falling. So weird.

Catastrophizing. It's how we roll.

Reactions: NewAgeOutlaw

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I'm incredibly irritated we lost for obvious reasons. But now with the stupid afternoon game this loss has potentially compromised my golf game.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

but the Flyers are TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!
I'm incredibly irritated we lost for obvious reasons. But now with the stupid afternoon game this loss has potentially compromised my golf game.
This is the real issue. Not golf for me, but I have Ultimate at 6. Game 6 needs to be a nice early stomping so I can enjoy my game :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Team is like a major league slugger that either knocks an upper decker homer or strikes out embarrassingly.

This could actually describe their PP. It either torches the other team, going 3 for 5 or whatever, or it looks completely useless and costs them wins. There's rarely in between with their PP.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Closing a series is not the biggest strength of this team as we seen in the last two play-off run, so I'm not worried. And before reading here I thought that Letang had one of his best game of the year. My bad.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
The Jets are a better team than the Pens.
The Wild, without Parise and Suter, are worse than the Flyers.

I know parents tell kids that an opinion can never be wrong, but those parents are stupid.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Closing a series is not the biggest strength of this team as we seen in the last two play-off run, so I'm not worried. And before reading here I thought that Letang had one of his best game of the year. My bad.

Momentum means nothing. It's just one of a billion talking points that justifies the existence and bloated salaries of talking heads on TV and radio who speak to us as if we're children.

There is no carryover from one game to the next. There's no carryover from one period to the next. The sooner people can come to terms with that, the better they can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Eh, it would have been nice to finish the series last night, I think this team could use a breather to get some people closer to full health.

On one hand they didnt play their best and thats concerning for a team that struggled during the regular season more than expected. But thats vastly outweighed by the fact that the pens are simply the better team and have largely looked like theyre putting it all together for the playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Momentum means nothing. It's just one of a billion talking points that justifies the existence and bloated salaries of talking heads on TV and radio who speak to us as if we're children.

There is no carryover from one game to the next. There's no carryover from one period to the next. The sooner people can come to terms with that, the better they can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

If momentum from game to game really were a thing, we would have steamrolled them in Game 2 after the 7-0 pounding in Game 1, and we would have steamrolled them last night after embarrassing them in their own barn in Games 3 and 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->