Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4, Penguins 2 - And The Beat Goes On

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Kessel fo Pesce
Kessel for Spurgeron
Kessel for pretty much any Top 3 D. That's the biggest issue on the team, no top 4 D after Letang and Dumo.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Welllllll now. I like HEARING that. I definitely do not see that. But I think you put it perfectly - they need to choose an identity and go with it. The chemistry is so bad and I have no idea what they are trying to do.

I honestly don’t know...

They seem to have no inclination to infuse any of the speed or skill in WBS, preferring the blandness of ZAR, Wilson and Grant. Maybe TB, Angello, DiPauli, Johnson, or Lafferty don’t spark them, but at least then you know and tried something different.

All those guys are playing just as well as ZAR ever did, but he’s the org and Sullivan’s pet project and that’s what bothers me. Why is an org that preached speed and skill so focused on a guy that possesses none of those attributes?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think they realized last month (why not earlier, who knows) that they didn’t have the team to play fast and roll four lines so Sully decided to play more physical, grinding style...he wants them to play like Sid’s line a lot—dump and get to the boards, cycle, and get the puck to the net, everyone banging the front of the net....but they don’t really have those players either...and Malkin clearly as a skilled player doesn’t want to play like Grant...that’s how I see it...I don’t know what the answer is other than many trades, or find some coaching that might have some different ideas...

This isn’t how Sid’s line plays and Sullivan’s hesitance to put Hornqvist there is certainly odd as well as putting Malkin with Kessel if that is how he wants the team to play.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
You know it's bad when you cant even get up for a game against your state rival.

Sure they might be only 5 points out of the playoffs. But they are also only 5 points out of last place.

This team isn't nearly good enough to do it. Not even close.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Because we have no Dmen after the top pair.

Kessel isn't more important than a top 3 D for this team. His production can be made up for a little bit by Guentzel on the PP.

Did Maatta and Riikola die?

Like I said, you only really need to redo your bottom pair, which is easier said than done. You need a 2B pair that's on par with what Cole-Schultz was for the Penguins in 2016, which is obviously difficult to get. If Schultz comes back at 100%, you just need to get a 2016 Cole equivalent player and have your other pair be Maatta-Riikola. At that point, focus on fixing your forwards.

At this point, I think the best case scenario is probably Maatta-Riikola and Johnson-Schultz, because I think it will be difficult to move Johnson (even if you wanted to). I think those pairs may be good enough, but there is obviously a lot of risk that comes with those pairs. I'd like to upgrade on at least one of those spots, I think I'd ideally upgrade on the RD spot with Johnson.

I’m assuming Riikola which is hilarious, because he looked like Maatta 2.0 out there tonight.

I thought Riikola had a fantastic game tonight, but I also read "Maatta 2.0" as a positive thing. Riikola was off the charts good in terms of his possession stats tonight.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Trade Kessel for a a legit 22-23 minute Dman.

Kessel for Spurgeron? Would Minny do it?

The Pens need to add another difference maker not swap one for another/rob Peter to pay Paul, type of deal.

The Pens will need Kessel because you won't replace him with Rust, Simon, Sprong or whoever from this team at its current state.

Reactions: turtle27

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't think it would be very difficult to move Johnson. Obviously not going to bring much back in value, but he's not that bad. He just needs to not be in the top 4 regularly. Honestly, I'm fine keeping him if we can address the d situation by getting players who fit what we're actually trying to do. I defend Maatta a lot, but the dude is not meant for this system at all and it is obvious. It wasn't a huge deal when we had a better defense overall (whether that's talent, players buying in, whatever - the defense sucks this year). But it's a definite weakness now. We need to make changes on defense and it only makes sense to move the player who isn't a good fit.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Did Maatta and Riikola die?

Like I said, you only really need to redo your bottom pair, which is easier said than done. You need a 2B pair that's on par with what Cole-Schultz was for the Penguins in 2016, which is obviously difficult to get. If Schultz comes back at 100%, you just need to get a 2016 Cole equivalent player and have your other pair be Maatta-Riikola. At that point, focus on fixing your forwards.

At this point, I think the best case scenario is probably Maatta-Riikola and Johnson-Schultz, because I think it will be difficult to move Johnson (even if you wanted to). I think those pairs may be good enough, but there is obviously a lot of risk that comes with those pairs. I'd like to upgrade on at least one of those spots, I think I'd ideally upgrade on the RD spot with Johnson.

I thought Riikola had a fantastic game tonight, but I also read "Maatta 2.0" as a positive thing. Riikola was off the charts good in terms of his possession stats tonight.

Wasn’t saying it as a negative. But he’s the type of player that does nothing great.

If Riikola is your third best defenseman your D sucks dick.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If we’re trading anyone like Kessel, we need to be getting younger, faster....

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Pens should just buyout JJ. He's scuderi.

Where is his supposed puck skills and skating ability that I was told would translate here?

I thought atleast he could be 2017 Daley. Dude has done nothing with the puck.

Reactions: domaug

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wasn’t saying it as a negative. But he’s the type of player that does nothing great.

If Riikola is your third best defenseman your D sucks dick.

Eh, if he continues to perform like he did tonight, I don't think you can really say that as being definitively true. Riikola is a guy that doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses in his game. He's at least good in a majority of areas, I don't think there's anything wrong with him being your 3rd best defenseman based on talent.

I think the bigger issue may be a guy with 14 career games being your 3rd best defensemen, but if Riikola continues to perform like he did last night, he won't only be a guy with 14 career games.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Eh, if he continues to perform like he did tonight, I don't think you can really say that as being definitively true. Riikola is a guy that doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses in his game. He's at least good in a majority of areas, I don't think there's anything wrong with him being your 3rd best defenseman based on talent. I think the bigger issue may be a guy with 14 career games being your 3rd best defensemen, but if Riikola continues to perform like he did last night, he won't only be a guy with 14 career games.

Come on Empo. Even you have to know you are the king of knee jerks.

Riikola had a decent game. He also fumbles pucks regularly and often gets lost in coverage.

Reactions: PensandCaps

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
No he didn't. You're just making **** up now to prop up Letang. You should make a Letang forum at this point.

Letang has been the Pens best player this season aside from Crosby.

He deserves his own forum.

Though, he was awful tonight. But whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia