Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4, Penguins 2 - And The Beat Goes On

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
But hasn't GMJR already done that to a certain extent? Wilson, Sheary and Kuhnhackl were Sully's guys, and they're gone.

I am not saying Blueger, DiPauli, or Johnson are going to set the world on fire, but if the identity and the idea is speed... why are we still going with these grind lines? It baffles me. I understand it against the Jets. Sure. That's a team that it makes a bit of sense. ZAR's playing time is beyond me. Fair point he did have a decent game, but it's his piss poor execution at the NHL level that does not earn 15-17 minutes a night.

But if you really wanted to focus on culture and shake it up a bit, that's the move that costs nothing.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Quennville sucks. He'll just play washed vets over young guys.
Sometimes you need a new set of eyes.

When Sullivan got here, he stopped playing the dead weight as much, and probably had a big say of who to get rid of. He actually had Kunitz playing on the 4th line for some stretches; something Bylsma would never have done.

He brought up guys from WBS who he knew were better than players who were already on the big squad.

My point is that these coaches will always play favorites if they're with a team for too long. They're human beings after all. We need a new set of eyes to evaluate the talent without bias. Sullivan obviously can't do it anymore.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If advanced stats point to #3 having a terrific game tonight, then I'd take those stats, shine them up nice, and...

hWMG7wI.gif

tumblr_ndgctjjj4Z1ql0k28o3_r1_250.gif

Reactions: domaug and ColePens

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I am not saying Blueger, DiPauli, or Johnson are going to set the world on fire, but if the identity and the idea is speed... why are we still going with these grind lines? It baffles me. I understand it against the Jets. Sure. That's a team that it makes a bit of sense. ZAR's playing time is beyond me. Fair point he did have a decent game, but it's his piss poor execution at the NHL level that does not earn 15-17 minutes a night.

But if you really wanted to focus on culture and shake it up a bit, that's the move that costs nothing.

17:01 for your boy tonight.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Maatta had a 59% CF% tonight, was 10-1 in SCF-SCA and didn't give up a high danger chance against. Again, people complaining about guys like Maatta are really missing the point with this team. Guys like Maatta, Riikola and Oleksiak had strong games today, they weren't the problem.

Maatta has been much better because Riikola is a hell of an NHL defenseman. That kid is going to be really special once he learns his opponents, and that will take a year or 2. Mark my words.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It is fixable.

I don't know if Sully can be part of fixing it.

And the presence of Guerin is the only thing that gives me pause about not wanting the guy who spent the last 16 months making a mess of this roster to be the one tapped to fix it.

JQ is the only guy I’d want to see him fired for, but we have no clue if he even wants to come to what looks like a shit show after leaving one.

JR and Sullivan seriously need to take a hard look at their roster and be real with themselves about how close it is to what JR spoke of this summer.

You can’t fix the roster until you admit there is a problem... and I’m hoping that was just posturing when JR claimed he liked the roster.

Biggest problem... you can’t play fast and skilled hockey when your defense is abysmal at transition. That needs fixed... soon.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
JR isn’t going to punt on this season, or any season in the Malkin and Crosby era. That may scare some people, but that’s the attitude I want him to have.

This is completely fixable, but JR and Sullivan have to identify what they want this team to be first, and that could mean some hard decisions. I know what I think they should be... and that jives with what JR said this summer, but I don’t see this team being built the way he spoke of back in May-June.

I don't really read anything from summer quotes and stuff. Please tell me he talked about wanting to be a fast/skilled team? Or what did he say?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maatta has been much better because Riikola is a hell of an NHL defenseman. That kid is going to be really special once he learns his opponents, and that will take a year or 2. Mark my words.

This just really proves how much of a whipping boy he is on here, because people discredit any good play by Maatta as being a result of Riikola. You're doing a pretty good job at proving my point here.

Reactions: Hobodrifter

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
JQ is the only guy I’d want to see him fired for, but we have no clue if he even wants to come to what looks like a **** show after leaving one.

JR and Sullivan seriously need to take a hard look at their roster and be real with themselves about how close it is to what JR spoke of this summer.

You can’t fix the roster until you admit there is a problem... and I’m hoping that was just posturing when JR claimed he liked the roster.

Biggest problem... you can’t play fast and skilled hockey when your defense is abysmal at transition. That needs fixed... soon.

Oh my brother . . . testify!

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
This just really proves how much of a whipping boy he is on here, because people discredit any good play by Maatta as being a result of Riikola. You're doing a pretty good job at proving my point here.

Maatta has had good games before. That doesn’t change the fact that he makes 4 mill on an already bad D mix. You cite CF as if his CF average is what he had tonight when it’s not.

Reactions: KIRK

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
All I can do is watch the games. I don't care about specific players all that much, and I only care about the teams' success.

Riikola has no weaknesses that I can see. He's good with a first pass, good along the walls, hits like a freight train, can block shots, and he's really tough in front of the net against bigger players. He also has a really good hockey sense.

What I said wasn't an indictment of Maatta. I'm just saying that Riikola is going to make Olli's numbers better. He's that good.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
JR said he wanted to get back to having four scoring lines, upgrading the skill on his bottom lines...

Welllllll now. I like HEARING that. I definitely do not see that. But I think you put it perfectly - they need to choose an identity and go with it. The chemistry is so bad and I have no idea what they are trying to do.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
All I can do is watch the games. I don't care about specific players all that much, and I only care about the teams' success.

Riikola has no weaknesses that I can see. He's good with a first pass, good along the walls, hits like a freight train, can block shots, and he's really tough in front of the net against bigger players. He also has a really good hockey sense.

What I said wasn't an indictment of Maatta. I'm just saying that Riikola is going to make Olli's numbers better. He's that good.

Oh yeah I don't disagree with this, Riikola is an absolute gem out there. I just feel like it's wrong to dismiss Maatta's performance based on him playing with Riikola. I think that pair has done so well that it should definitely stick together, I think the pair just complements each other extremely well. I just think Maatta's a massive whipping boy here because he's not as flashy as other players, which is really unfair towards him.

I think in a perfect world, your 2nd pair is Maatta-Riikola going forward. I think with the success that pair has had, they'll continue to run with it. Just figure out the bottom pair and your defense is well set, but that "figuring out the bottom pair" is easier said than done.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If I'm JR I'd be looking to sell Kessel and Brassard to teams willing to trade young talent. I like Kessel a lot but I think his time has come.

I think the Hindenburg is a great metaphor for this team....

Reactions: KIRK

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
OK. This is probably turn out to be the only game I won't see this year. so the Nat Stat site is sjowing 11;3 in HDCF , it could not be this bad could it? 11 high danger scoring chances vs.3 you must have done something right? eht happened?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Welllllll now. I like HEARING that. I definitely do not see that. But I think you put it perfectly - they need to choose an identity and go with it. The chemistry is so bad and I have no idea what they are trying to do.

He tried to get McDonagh, Skinner, Domi and Montour just recently. What I don’t understand is why the plan Bs are THE EXACT OPPOSITE

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I think they realized last month (why not earlier, who knows) that they didn’t have the team to play fast and roll four lines so Sully decided to play more physical, grinding style...he wants them to play like Sid’s line a lot—dump and get to the boards, cycle, and get the puck to the net, everyone banging the front of the net....but they don’t really have those players either...and Malkin clearly as a skilled player doesn’t want to play like Grant...that’s how I see it...I don’t know what the answer is other than many trades, or find some coaching that might have some different ideas...

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Trade Kessel for a a legit 22-23 minute Dman.

Kessel for Spurgeron? Would Minny do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad