Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4 at Blackhawks 7 | Oct. 18, 2016 | Regular Season Game 3

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Dude, no forwards in the world could cover enough for this defense. The defense lets the offense down 100x more than the offense lets the defense down.

Schultz, MacDonald, Manning, and Streit were godawful. The other two are too young to be expected to cover for them so naturally when their partners screw them they're not going to be able to carry the load, plus of course the rookie mistakes made last night.

And the top line being negative in +/- last game isn't much of a surprise when the opponent scores 7 goals and those goals were on goaltending and defense screwing up beyond belief. The forwards aren't perfect, but last night can't be blamed on them at all.
Not saying there good but the forwards are lost in there own end is all I'm saying. Lots of 3 on 2's last night also.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I've had this sneaking suspicion - based on almost nothing more than a gut feeling - that Hextall saw something in Lyon that told him he would be his guy, at least in the medium term. I've got no proof to back this up, it's just a feeling I have. And I thought that Lyon wouldn't have signed with us without some idea that he would get a shot eventually. As I say, it's just a feeling and probably won't come to anything.

I have a similar hunch. I think Lyon will be the first call up and I think the Flyers will let Mason walk. I just don't think Hextall likes him that much. I guess time will tell by the end of the year if my hunch is right.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
It's really encouraging that Couturier and Read are scoring around the net. If they scored around 20 goals each, I'd be ecstatic

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I read a SoP tweet that AMac had a zone denial at the Flyers blue line. Can anybody post a gif of this rare sighting so I can actually believe it.

Uh, if it's the play I'm thinking of, it happened because he decided not to pass to a wide open Ghost and instead tried to skate it through two forwards who promptly took the puck and then tried to skate it in, but he got the poke on it?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not saying there good but the forwards are lost in there own end is all I'm saying. Lots of 3 on 2's last night also.

Most of those 3v2s were because of Streit playing like a moron so the 2 back were Provorov and a forward... and usually against Kane and Panarin.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Giroux's competition in first three games at even strength:

Food for thought.

32.88% EV KING,DWIGHT - KOPITAR,ANZE - TOFFOLI,TYLER
23.29% EV CARTER,JEFF - LEWIS,TREVOR - PURCELL,TEDDY

52.05% EV DOUGHTY,DREW - MUZZIN,JAKE
31.51% EV MARTINEZ,ALEC - MCNABB,BRAYDEN

36.23% EV DOAN,SHANE - MARTINOOK,JORDAN - RICHARDSON,BRAD

50.72% EV EKMAN-LARSSON,OLIVER - MURPHY,CONNOR
17.39% EV GOLIGOSKI,ALEX - SCHENN,LUKE

55.42% EV MOTTE,TYLER - PANIK,RICHARD - TOEWS,JONATHAN
77.11% EV HJALMARSSON,NIKLAS - KEITH,DUNCAN

Even more impressive is that his Corsi 5v5 in those three games combined is 56%.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Most of those 3v2s were because of Streit playing like a moron so the 2 back were Provorov and a forward... and usually against Kane and Panarin.

Striiker, you crack me up all the time. Great comment. To chime in about Provy, one tough game doesn't make or break your career. Game three of his first NHL season...come on. Even ManDog has had a couple of bad games here and there.

1-1-1 is not bad for a tough mini road jaunt to start the season. Welcome the boys back to some home cookin' starting Thursday. The place will be rocking, and you know they will be looking to put Chi-town behind them. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the next three home games in a row.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Wow, VDV had a 75% OZ starts last night and he only had a 25% CF... holy ****...

PEB had 27.8% CF when he had no OZ starts.

And why the **** was Gordon starting in the OZ 80% of the time last night?

explosive skating

Jul 5, 2015
He is as noticeable as Umberger so far.

Comparing Weise to Umberger is incorrect but I agree he's been useless so far. They signed him to spark bottom 6 and now we're waiting for Raffl to do it. I know it was only a third game but I'm just sharing what I noticed. Not much. Right now I'd put Weise on the 4th line:

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds
Konecny - Couturier - Voracek
Cousins - Raffl - Read
Bellemare - Gordon - Weise

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Cousins got dominated at ES in his two games. He needs to do better to stay in the lineup over Lyubimov, let alone make the third line.

The majority of posters are sharing our majority view here; i.e., a blue-chip prospect should not be judged on just one game.

I skimmed thru it and it didn't seem that bad.

If a top 10 pick has a -5 game on national TV it's gonna get talked about. But it's not a big deal.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For those concerned about how Hak has ratcheted up dmen going on the attack, it's worth pointing out that system was designed with the assumption that we'd have Gudas and MDZ. Getting Gudas back will hopefully, theoretically help out. As should MDZ. Right now they're running an aggressive system with Streit playing above his head with a rookie, MacDonald playing over his head, Schultz who isn't much of a fit for that style at this point, and Manning.

Edit: Now I don't know that such a system can work, but it's certainly less feasible with the players we are using now. Adding Sanheim down the road will help too.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Wow, VDV had a 75% OZ starts last night and he only had a 25% CF... holy ****...

PEB had 27.8% CF when he had no OZ starts.

And why the **** was Gordon starting in the OZ 80% of the time last night?

Those numbers sum up VdVs career. Hes barely an AHL calibre.

I really dont get what Hak was doing with the 4th line.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Striiker, you crack me up all the time. Great comment. To chime in about Provy, one tough game doesn't make or break your career. Game three of his first NHL season...come on. Even ManDog has had a couple of bad games here and there.

1-1-1 is not bad for a tough mini road jaunt to start the season. Welcome the boys back to some home cookin' starting Thursday. The place will be rocking, and you know they will be looking to put Chi-town behind them. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the next three home games in a row.

annoyed-face.gif

But yeah, Provorov didn't have a good game but it really couldn't possibly be any less of a problem. He's had two good games and one bad game, all the while we're missing our top pair and he's being forced to play against the best lines on the opponents team with a guy who's literally twice his age.

It's also important for people to realize that the mistakes he made are just normal rookie mistakes instead of mistakes that expose a flaw in his skillset or mentality or maturity. Lost an edge and fell over? Happens to everyone. It's not like hes a bad skater or that he's a step behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad