Flyers' 2017-18 roster discussion, part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Well, there is a Flyers' aesthetic.

While the days of the Broad Street Bullies are past, I don't want to watch an Eagles team that doesn't play tough defense nor a Flyers team that figure skates instead of hitting people.

Which is why I'm happy Hextall did his apprenticeship with the Kings.
There's a tradeoff between speed/skill and toughness, I'd just rather the Flyers err on the side of toughness.

One reason I don't care about whether we end up with Nico/Nolan is that while Nolan is bigger and more physical, from all accounts Nico is scrappy and plays defense and welcomes physical play. So no wimp factor here.

I like Konecny b/c he might be a little guy, but he has an edge, just has to add some muscle so he doesn't get himself killed doing stupid things like trying to check Buff. Cousins is little but also has that edge.

MacDonald has to go b/c he's a wimp, not just because he's mediocre. At least Manning will hit someone and clear the crease, just don't allow him to handle the puck.

The point is if you're a "real" Flyers fan, you want a team that hits and forechecks and plays high intensity, smart, 60 minute hockey over a team that's skilled and scores but is soft. You can win both ways, but I want to win the "Flyers way." Now it is the new millenium, no brain dead (we talkin' to you, Rinaldo) types allowed, no more goons, no big immobile defensemen.

Gudas is a good role model (aggressive up to the edge of the law, but not over the cliff). Couts may not be dirty but he's smart, responsible and not afraid of crowds. Provorov isn't as nasty as Gudas, but he uses his body and will protect his crease.

Like I said, it's a matter of aesthetics. I grew up with the "Bullies," and while that day is long gone, hockey is supposed to be a tough, physical game, not the Ice Capades. And if you don't like it, go root for the Maple Leafs.
I was at the parades too. That being said you need guys that can light the lamp and the BSB had Macleish, Clarke and Barber and then Leach and a supporting cast that could fight and score. I like toughness too but toughness doesn't win anything if you can skate and score.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Nashville is losing, Kris Letang is not playing

Nashville is outproducing the Penguins by quite a large margin. Pekka Rinne crapping the bed shouldn't have any bearing on judging the defense/offense in front of him. Why am I having to explain this?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Well, there is a Flyers' aesthetic.

While the days of the Broad Street Bullies are past, I don't want to watch an Eagles team that doesn't play tough defense nor a Flyers team that figure skates instead of hitting people.

Which is why I'm happy Hextall did his apprenticeship with the Kings.
There's a tradeoff between speed/skill and toughness, I'd just rather the Flyers err on the side of toughness.

One reason I don't care about whether we end up with Nico/Nolan is that while Nolan is bigger and more physical, from all accounts Nico is scrappy and plays defense and welcomes physical play. So no wimp factor here.

I like Konecny b/c he might be a little guy, but he has an edge, just has to add some muscle so he doesn't get himself killed doing stupid things like trying to check Buff. Cousins is little but also has that edge.

MacDonald has to go b/c he's a wimp, not just because he's mediocre. At least Manning will hit someone and clear the crease, just don't allow him to handle the puck.

The point is if you're a "real" Flyers fan, you want a team that hits and forechecks and plays high intensity, smart, 60 minute hockey over a team that's skilled and scores but is soft. You can win both ways, but I want to win the "Flyers way." Now it is the new millenium, no brain dead (we talkin' to you, Rinaldo) types allowed, no more goons, no big immobile defensemen.

Gudas is a good role model (aggressive up to the edge of the law, but not over the cliff). Couts may not be dirty but he's smart, responsible and not afraid of crowds. Provorov isn't as nasty as Gudas, but he uses his body and will protect his crease.

Like I said, it's a matter of aesthetics. I grew up with the "Bullies," and while that day is long gone, hockey is supposed to be a tough, physical game, not the Ice Capades. And if you don't like it, go root for the Maple Leafs.

My inner Neanderthal agrees, with the emphasis that skill is the first 's' and smarts is second. And as we have been seeing, the traditional forward template of offense / checking / offense / energy is quickly losing relevance. A speedy 4th line can be quite the weapon.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Like I said, it's a tradeoff, or a spectrum.

That is, if you have toughness without skill, you're probably not going to win, if you have skill without toughness it's going to be tough to get through the playoffs.

So you're trying to balance the two, but different teams put more emphasis on one or the other. The Kings were a physical team that had elite scorers, but weren't as fast as Chicago or Pittsburgh. Both ways worked. I'd just enjoy winning the Kings way more.

And I think Hextall agrees, while he's drafted some small, fast guys (Kase, Marody) he's also drafted a bunch of physical scorers like Bunnyman, and guys with size and speed like Rubtsov. Same on defense where he's gathered big, mobile defensemen.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Pre draft lottery I hoped Necas would be available at 13, but that doesn't seem very likely at this point. Interesting that a year ago he wasn't even considered top round talent. well outside of Button, he has him at 3rd, he could have him higher back then too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad