Flyers' 2017-18 roster discussion, part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Whats the story on Vecchione? Anyone think he has a shot of sticking with the team full time?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It will be interesting to see if Vecchione gets a 1-way deal, or a 2-way contract that pays him significantly less in the AHL. He might have expected to be in the NHL when he signed, but of course that was before the Flyers won one of the lottery picks.

Cousins was a on a 2-way deal this season that would have only paid him $70,000 in the AHL, but that didn't matter because he wasn't waiver exempt and was very unlikely to be waived.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/nick-cousins

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm kind of surprised nothing official has been announced regarding Vecchione

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
what was the consensus here about Shattenkirk ?

Massively overrated. And if not massively overrated, at least somewhat overrated.

That's just my opinion of him, though, and it doesn't hold much water at the end of the day. For what it's worth, I think Trouba is overrated as well. Most of my feeling about these guys is related to their value/worth as signings or in potential trades rather than just looking at how good they are as players, and both of them are probably better for their current team than I am giving them credit for. I wouldn't want to move any assets or sacrifice cap space for either of them.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
what was the consensus here about Shattenkirk ?

Stay tf away. We already have Ghost. What's the need for Shattenkirk?

Add to the fact he's got a horrendous record when the games matter.

He's the Dman version of Schenn. Most of his value will come with PP production but he'll get eaten alive at ES if you dont shelter him.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Massively overrated. And if not massively overrated, at least somewhat overrated.

That's just my opinion of him, though, and it doesn't hold much water at the end of the day. For what it's worth, I think Trouba is overrated as well. Most of my feeling about these guys is related to their value/worth as signings or in potential trades rather than just looking at how good they are as players, and both of them are probably better for their current team than I am giving them credit for. I wouldn't want to move any assets or sacrifice cap space for either of them.

I would take Trouba over Shattenkirk. But yeah I agree, would rather hold onto the kids than trade for either.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
any interest in UFA's Kulikov, Wiercioch ?

Absolutely not. I can't think of one good reason to add a defenseman from outside the organization. I know the ED is an opportunity where guys who wouldn't normally be available are going to be available at a discount, but it's still a cost, and for me, I'd rather pocket that cost and roll with our prospects.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
What is with this fan base and adding???

Are you living under a rock these past few weeks/months?

The Flyers have talent to add in their possession already. Why do I want somebody elses cast offs that we will have to overpay?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Shattenkirk has always been overrated. He probably cost himself $1 million on his next contract with his showing in Washington. Doesnt mean he wouldnt help some teams though. NJ for example, would be wise to offer him a $6 × 6 deal. Their NHL D is trash and they have very little in the D pipeline.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
yeah some team will always find a use for the guy. Not sure if he would ever go to NJ tho.

Maybe the 1st overall pick will entice him. Ya never know.

New York will probably make an offer because they cant help themselves.

Vegas perhaps too.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Shattenkirk isn't leaving the northeast, either the Rangers or Bruins. He's turned down good contract offers already when St. Louis was trying to trade him including one from Tampa Bay. So I don't think it's going to be much of process for him. He has had an idea of where he wants to go for a while now.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Shattenkirk isn't leaving the northeast, either the Rangers or Bruins. He's turned down good contract offers already when St. Louis was trying to trade him including one from Tampa Bay. So I don't think it's going to be much of process for him. He has had an idea of where he wants to go for a while now.

Yeah, he's almost surely going to the Rangers I think, and I'm overjoyed about it, because he is going to devour cap space that they won't be able to spend on someone better.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
yeah some team will always find a use for the guy. Not sure if he would ever go to NJ tho.

Wouldn't surprise me if the NYR didn't want to tender him an offer. They are pretty loaded up cap wise but maybe they make some magic happen?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
can see a definite bidding war between Boston and the Rangers.
Boston is probably going to lose someone like Millar or McQuaid in the entry draft and Liles will leave. so they will have a spot for him.
The Rangers have Staal on the books for 5 more years, and Girardi 4 and Mcdonagh for 3. they might have to find a sucker for Staal or Giradi unless LV takes one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad