Flyers' 2017-18 roster discussion, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
Rubtsov (22nd in 2016) is a pretty similar pick to Laughton (20th in 2012). A two-way center with decent size and good skating ability. Whether he will turn out to be a better player than Laughton in the NHL remains to be seen.

My personal belief is that Rubtsov is a significantly better prospect than Laughton. Worth remembering he was playing against men at 18 in the KHL then was at a ppg clip in the u18's. Also while it's much easier to score in the Q than OHL Laughton didn't blow the roof off the league until he was older and still was blown out by talent that was younger and far superior. True that Laughton broke camp at 18 but he didn't stick. He played exceptionally well in Oshawa that year but it hasn't translated. Maybe he's had a string of bad luck and injuries where he will bloom late either here or elsewhere which I hope is the case but he's never shown the upside German has so far. IMO if Rubstov was in NA already he goes 12-15.

Injuries are a concern with me for Rubtsov but we'll see how he fairs in Jr's next season.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Sadly....we don't have a comparable forward prospect to use...but would you trade Sanheim (who is worse centerpiece than what we are asking for IMO) a first and Hagg for Simmonds just on "prospect value" alone.

There is zero chance I would do that deal today as a non contender.

Also, suggest an under 24 TOP line NHL guy to be moved.

I already have - Puljujarvi. I don't think EDM necessarily makes that deal either, but to act like it is out of the question is wide of the mark IMO. Simmer has a ton of value around this league, more than you are giving him credit for having, I think. I know that you aren't the only one who disagrees with me about this and that's fine, but I think his intangibles are more valuable in trade - that is, the perception of him to the team that acquires him is higher - than his actual value to us in both tangibles (scoring) and intangibles (leadership, punching, etc.) Again, I'm not trying to demean him at all - I just think he can return more in trade than he can give us, especially as we face his next contract. His value will never be higher than it is now, and we aren't going anywhere serious for another two years at the very least.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
And he would return a good bit more than Lucic got.
nope. I could see close..but more...and in the offseason...the TDL makes people more desparate.

How about this...what would you trade for Simmonds? Comparable isn't exact...but Backlund is kind of comparable...good 2nd line value for cap hit, similar age.

Why would any team similar to us pay for Simmonds? I get why WSH, Min, Stl is in.

Would WSH part with Kuznetzov...hes PERFECT for our needs IMO..24yr old RFA. Not a chance they would.

Worth is not the same as actual return.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh hellllllllllllllllllll nooooooooo

Do not want Hartnell back on this team. Our PK sucks as it is, we don't need to give them another 40-50 chances to get scored on.

Yes, I know he only had 63 PIM this season, but I assume that was a fluke and he'll be back above 100 PIM next year, like has has been for 11 of the last 16 seasons. And that's not including the 70 PIM he racked up in 32 games during the lockout year. And now that his scoring is significantly lower, he makes up for even less of those dumbass penalties.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I already have - Puljujarvi. I don't think EDM necessarily makes that deal either, but to act like it is out of the question is wide of the mark IMO. Simmer has a ton of value around this league, more than you are giving him credit for having, I think. I know that you aren't the only one who disagrees with me about this and that's fine, but I think his intangibles are more valuable in trade - that is, the perception of him to the team that acquires him is higher - than his actual value to us in both tangibles (scoring) and intangibles (leadership, punching, etc.) Again, I'm not trying to demean him at all - I just think he can return more in trade than he can give us, especially as we face his next contract. His value will never be higher than it is now, and we aren't going anywhere serious for another two years at the very least.
puli is top line potential, but he's not in the NHL producing. Id totally do this deal too. Bennett, IMO is worth more than Puli...today.

And I love Simmonds, it's not about him, its about the 2021 Flyers.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Do not want Hartnell back on this team. Our PK sucks as it is, we don't need to give them another 40-50 chances to get scored on.

Yes, I know he only had 63 PIM this season, but I assume that was a fluke and he'll be back above 100 PIM next year, like has has been for 11 of the last 16 seasons. And that's not including the 70 PIM he racked up in 32 games during the lockout year. And now that his scoring is significantly lower, he makes up for even less of those dumbass penalties.

I'd seriously go mental if we dragged his dunce ass back. I'd like to see our collective hockey IQ rise, not nosedive.
Luckily, I don't think we have to worry about it.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
If the organization is going to move one forward of value this off season, it should be Schenn not Simmer. Losing Simmons creates too big of a hole on the roster in too many ways.
the logic is Simmonds is worth more, will be priced out/age counterproductive on his next deal, and thus gone in 2 years. Everybody likes him and thinks Wayne is better.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Losing Schenn creates a huge hole too.

He may frustrate people, but he's our 2nd best goalscorer, right behind Simmonds.

At first I was skeptical about him being able to repeat his 2015-2016 season performance but this year he was very good again so I'm more comfortable with him now.

And yes, I know it was mostly on the PP this year, but his PP skill won't diminish and his (and the rest of the teams) 5v5 scoring should improve as the defense becomes more mobile/skilled/intelligent in the next couple of years.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Appleyard tweeted recently that outside of PKing, Schenn and Simmonds had very similar stats from this season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Oh my God, we agree on something. :amazed:

Why would we want a slow, aging PF who would play at best on the 2nd PP unit and be a liability defensively (ignoring his propensity for stupid penalties)?

Right now with Lindblom coming over, we're trying to figure out which 6 forwards to play on the top 3 lines, where would Hartnell fit?

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
You were talking about the first one.

Was straightening it out. Anyway....21 points is still only 21 points. Still not sure where you are going with this.

The injury definitely affected him and his style of play. More importantly, his confidence. If you cant/couldn't see that than I am not sure what else to say. Agree to disagree and carry on.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The issue with Laughton isn't whether to give him a shot in TC, it's whether to use your last ED protection slot on him.
Of course, if he's with the team you give him a shot.
He's only 23, coming off a good AHL campaign where he showed real improvement.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh my God, we agree on something. :amazed:

Why would we want a slow, aging PF who would play at best on the 2nd PP unit and be a liability defensively (ignoring his propensity for stupid penalties)?

Right now with Lindblom coming over, we're trying to figure out which 6 forwards to play on the top 3 lines, where would Hartnell fit?

giphy.gif

It happens sometimes. Not often, but sometimes. :laugh:

I'd rather the top 6 looked like

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Was straightening it out. Anyway....21 points is still only 21 points. Still not sure where you are going with this.

21 points in 70 games scored entirely at 5 on 5, scoring at 1.88 points/60.

For comparison this year Konency had 22 points in 70 games at 5 on 5, scoring at 1.55 points/60.

Laughton's struggles after the concussion in February 2015 weren't due to lack of confidence or an unwillingness to go into the scoring areas. They were on the defensive side, and it doesn't make sense to blame them on the injury like you are doing. Players struggling with the after affects of head trauma just don't score the way Laughton did in very limited minutes.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
And yet Maatta is a better selection. As are Subban, and Pearson. Talent was their Philly missed. I know it happens all i'm saying is you had legit talent on board still with needs at D, wing and tender.

They still filled them with Stolarz & Gostisbehere. The former is comparable to Subban while the latter is better than Maatta. Like I said you win some you lose some. Laughton hasn't turned out great but getting a player like Gostisbehere in the third round doesn't happen with regularity.

Hextall's drafts are still early & fresh so it's easy to look at them in a positive light at the moment. When you get to the five year mark though like with this class things could be looking a lot different for better or worse.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I like Foo better than Vecchione. But I don't know what his addition would mean to the glut of 4th line / NHL-AHL brink players the organization has. I vote for a pay-per-view battle royale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad