Flyers 2015 offseason following Draft

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I bet you if he was a 1st round pick and his name was Brandon Schunn, People would be more than happy to give him 3,5 mil.

Raffl is going to be 27 and turning 28 when his next contract starts. He has a career high 34 points.

Schenn is 23 and just had a 47 point season, 41 the year before.

Schenn at worst has shown he can be a 40-50 point guy. We don't know if Raffl can get to 40.

Yeah...if I have 3.5 million to spend on only 1 guy, it's an easy choice.

Again, if you look at age, status, and production, Eric Fehr is Raffl's comparable.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
Raffl is going to be 27 and turning 28 when his next contract starts. He has a career high 34 points.

Schenn at worst has shown he can be a 40-50 point guy. We don't know if Raffl can get to 40.

Again, if you look at age, status, and production, Eric Fehr is Raffl's comparable.

thank you. ive seen a lot of raffl > schenn posts and they leave me scratching my head.:shakehead

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Did raffl have a better overall year then schenn? I think so, is raffl a better player. Absolutely not. Schenn is a top 9 talent he just hasn't had someone to get the best out of him. Lavy may have been able to be still he was only a 20 year old

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Usage also matters. I don't think the disparity in PP time and therefore points will be as large this season.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Why has there been such resistance to me saying we should wait on Raffl's contract?

I love Rafflcopter, but he is by no means a stud. He's a guy that can do many things and seems to be able to handle 1st line minutes with two top guys. He's just been complementary to G/Scorachek.

He hasn't proven a lot. It's been one year of scoring. If he does it one more time, I'm probably on board. Hextall's rebuild is about patience. I'm just suggesting we be a little more patient with Raffl.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Extending Raffl now could be a mistake as well, especially anything longer than a couple years. You can't extend all your UFAs in a cap world, you need guys like Cousins, Laughton and AK replacing Reads and Raffl.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

While I agree that your money would be better spent on Schenn, let's not forget who plays on PP1 and who doesn't..

Even Strength Stats

Brayden Schenn: 11 goals, 17 assists
Michael Raffl: 18 goals, 7 assists

But then you have to factor in that Raffl plays on the 1st line at ES and Schenn doesn't.

SchennSational1022*

I bet you if he was a 1st round pick and his name was Brandon Schunn, People would be more than happy to give him 3,5 mil.

This is rich, you mean the same Brayden Schenn that half this board wants gone for anything?

SchennSational1022*

While I agree that your money would be better spent on Schenn, let's not forget who plays on PP1 and who doesn't..

Even Strength Stats

Brayden Schenn: 11 goals, 17 assists
Michael Raffl: 18 goals, 7 assists

But then you have to factor in that Raffl plays on the 1st line at ES and Schenn doesn't.

Do people really think Raffl is more of a priority or is even a better player than Schenn, come on now...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Extending Raffl now could be a mistake as well, especially anything longer than a couple years. You can't extend all your UFAs in a cap world, you need guys like Cousins, Laughton and AK replacing Reads and Raffl.

Extending Raffl is fine....if he is signed to a good contract. You can always trade him if you want.

Signing Raffl for 3.5 million would be the mistake.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Good listen.

Be Prepared is a common theme.

which translates into "enjoy the bench Vinny"...

i read a article talking about vinny's summer, he said he trained the same way he usualy does and feels hes ready to deleiver the same performance...

he really does beleive hes still the talent he used to be.. shame really..

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Would anyone be interested to buy low on Draisatl? I know he played C in juniors but really think his game would translate well on the wing. He may become a nice LW option in the future.

Edit: Read the expectations of Oilers fans for a possible return on the main forum. Holy moly.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
After signing Porter we now have 27 forwards under contract, how many is usual going into a season? Seems like we could shed one or two before opening face off.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Would anyone be interested to buy low on Draisatl? I know he played C in juniors but really think his game would translate well on the wing. He may become a nice LW option in the future.

Edit: Read the expectations of Oilers fans for a possible return on the main forum. Holy moly.

He was a #3 overall pick just a year ago, after all.

After signing Porter we now have 27 forwards under contract, how many is usual going into a season? Seems like we could shed one or two before opening face off.

That does seem like a lot given that the Phantoms have 4 more on AHL contracts (Powe, Goumas, Hextall, Padakin). I'm guessing Padakin, Alderson, and one of Mathers/Goulbourne will start in Reading.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia

I don't really think you can buy low on him. His value is still huge being a #3 pick just one year ago. Gotta give him some time to develop.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Buy low? He was the #3 draft pick last season. His stock hasn't gone down because of a bad half season on a horrible team, and half a season where was 5th on the WHL team with 50+ points in 32 games.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
which translates into "enjoy the bench Vinny"...

i read a article talking about vinny's summer, he said he trained the same way he usualy does and feels hes ready to deleiver the same performance...

he really does beleive hes still the talent he used to be.. shame really..

be funny if hasktol acts like the judge in my cousin vinny and finds him in contempt and benches him rest of season lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad