Flyers 2015 offseason following Draft

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
flyers now have several core players ink for a while.

I would like to get everyone opinion on raffi giroux voracek line.

in the 2nd half of last season I don't wanna say slump but it was a bit of a struggle for giroux and at times voracek to get pts.

I'm hoping now with the V deal done, raff back hopefully he can play a solid year from a health standpoint.

My goal or hope is they each have a solid year, I would really like to see each take an elite step forward, I'd like to see the chemistry be even more solid and we see magical plays.

so my question is can they do that, or if not would you see them moved

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

in the 2nd half of last season I don't wanna say slump but it was a bit of a struggle for giroux and at times voracek to get pts.

Didn't that coincide with Raffl missing a month with pneumonia?

I hope Hextall signs Raffl to a two-year extension at around $2.5m.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I'm hoping now with the V deal done, raff back hopefully he can play a solid year from a health standpoint.

My goal or hope is they each have a solid year, I would really like to see each take an elite step forward, I'd like to see the chemistry be even more solid and we see magical plays.

so my question is can they do that, or if not would you see them moved

Voracek and Giroux were 5th and 10th in points in the NHL last season. They're already elite.

Of course we'd love to see Raffl become a 30 goal, 50 point LWer too but then we might not be able to even sign him..so we may be better off with Raffl staying under 40 points and the offense being more spread out around the lineup.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Now is the time to do it before Raffl blows up and becomes difficult to afford.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I think you guys are underestimating what Raffl will get. He's getting to free agency at a prime age and he's a rock solid, versatile player. There is a real lack of guys that age in the FA market, and a lack of talent overall in the FA market nowadays.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think you guys are underestimating what Raffl will get. He's getting to free agency at a prime age and he's a rock solid, versatile player. There is a real lack of guys that age in the FA market, and a lack of talent overall in the FA market nowadays.

If he has another 20 goal season, he'll get paid next summer, maybe as much as that stupid Belesky contract by some team. That's why I'm hoping Hextall plays on any financial insecurity he might have to lock him up at a discount this summer.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
If he has another 20 goal season, he'll get paid next summer, maybe as much as that stupid Belesky contract by some team. That's why I'm hoping Hextall plays on any financial insecurity he might have to lock him up at a discount this summer.

That's my hope too. I keep saying how much I like what he brings to the team. If they can get him on such a contract, awesome. It would neither surprise nor bother me if he got a little more.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think Raffl will bet on himself this year in hopes to drive up his price tag. Even if he regresses he could still possibly get a multi year/multi million contract on the open market.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
What is the next big thing Flyers need to do feel free to re prioritize how I see it.

1 Raffi Extension - I think we can get it done now / cheaper then later

2 Getting rid of Vinny, L Schenn, Amac even though it will be hard now.

3 decision on B schehnn, right now probably last of list

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What is the next big thing Flyers need to do feel free to re prioritize how I see it.

1 Raffi Extension - I think we can get it done now / cheaper then later

2 Getting rid of Vinny, L Schenn, Amac even though it will be hard now.

3 decision on B schehnn, right now probably last of list

I think Hextall's offseason is essentially over. The Flyers are at 46 guaranteed roster spots for this upcoming season so perhaps you could see a late UFA add or two likely of the minor league variety.

I think pretty much every other move you listed will come after evaluation in season (not including the deadweight players as they're likely here to stay for this year at least).

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008

I'd say it had more to do with the realization we were gonna miss the playoffs. If we're in the hunt, I expect the end of the season will look much better

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think Hextall's offseason is essentially over. The Flyers are at 46 guaranteed roster spots for this upcoming season so perhaps you could see a late UFA add or two likely of the minor league variety.

I think pretty much every other move you listed will come after evaluation in season (not including the deadweight players as they're likely here to stay for this year at least).

I think he's still going to try to move 1 defensemen before the start of the season, most likely being Luke Schenn.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I like Raffl, but I'm just not ready to extend him yet. I like him as a 3rd liner, but don't trust him above that yet.

Hopefully he repeats and I'm a full believer.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I like Raffl, but I'm just not ready to extend him yet. I like him as a 3rd liner, but don't trust him above that yet.

Fresh off a 21 goal season and very strong defensively yet you don't think he can AT LEAST be a 2nd line LW?

He is a very good complimentary player on a line with 2 more skilled forwards. The days of running the Legion of Doom or the French Connection type of lines is over. Very few teams have one line loaded with 3 stars.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
There's really a lot of grey area between a 1st and 2nd liner, between a 2nd and 3rd liner, and between 3rd and 4th liner. It's not really that clear-cut ever. On some teams with some situations or players Raffl could be in the top six (as he is here), but ideally I'd say he's more of a third liner. Last season had a wee bit of unsustainability to it for Raffl's production and even if he weren't unsustainable, he also only had seven assists and 28 points. You can't just say "more then 20 goals, no way he's a third liner". His shooting percentage and certain other elements behind his goal count are a bit unsustainable and his overall production (which includes assists) isn't what most people would view as top six caliber.

He is what he is. Two-way, versatile and balanced player who can chip in offensively occasionally. I'd say that's ideally a third liner. Here and on some other team he might be in the top six due to whatever reason. Here it's because we have weak LW depth and nobody else on LW that has chemistry with our top line.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

But few want a Raffl paid as a top 6 player anyways.

As I said before, his numbers are comparable to Eric Fehr who just signed for 2 million a year for 3 years and was a UFA. Raffl should be paid the same.

Fehr age 29 19 goals, 33 points in 75 games. Had 31 points in 71 games the year before.
Raffl age 26 21 goals, 28 points in 67 games. Had 22 points in 68 games the year before.

So you pay him as a 3rd liner but he plays on the 1st line until a better option is available. Then he drops down and is not overpaid.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Fresh off a 21 goal season and very strong defensively yet you don't think he can AT LEAST be a 2nd line LW?

He is a very good complimentary player on a line with 2 more skilled forwards. The days of running the Legion of Doom or the French Connection type of lines is over. Very few teams have one line loaded with 3 stars.

I definitely think he CAN be a 2nd liner at least, but I don't trust him there yet.

We'll see man. I just truthfully don't want to pay him that money just yet until he does it again. Then I'm on board.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
But few want a Raffl paid as a top 6 player anyways.

As I said before, his numbers are comparable to Eric Fehr who just signed for 2 million a year for 3 years and was a UFA. Raffl should be paid the same.

Fehr age 29 19 goals, 33 points in 75 games. Had 31 points in 71 games the year before.
Raffl age 26 21 goals, 28 points in 67 games. Had 22 points in 68 games the year before.

So you pay him as a 3rd liner but he plays on the 1st line until a better option is available. Then he drops down and is not overpaid.

If he gets 2 million a year, I'm on board whether he plays 1st or 3rd line.

Just don't want anything like 3.5 a year. That's too much.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
I bet you if he was a 1st round pick and his name was Brandon Schunn, People would be more than happy to give him 3,5 mil.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Came across this read [ draft success ]:

It breaks down drafts from 2000-2012 from a player making the NHL and how they have fared.

"the Flyers are the best drafting first round team over the last 15 years;

between 2000 and 2012 the Flyers didn’t draft a single NHL caliber player in the fourth, fifth, seventh, eighth, or ninth rounds

FUN FACT

The Flyers didn’t have a second round pick from 1999 to 2005.
The Flyers have drafted more goaltenders than any other team studied (17) but only one made it in the NHL (Roman Cechmanek)"

Appleyard and those types of minds (or those who like his posts may like this article).

https://tifubyjoiningreddit.wordpre...e-the-philadelphia-flyers-drafted-since-2000/

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad