Flyers 2015 offseason following Draft

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Mod's note: We'll consider this thread a post-draft recap and discussion. Here is the prior thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=104387081#post104387081

--------------------------------------------------

Hextall, got alot at the Draft. As happy as I am with the players we got, we still have to assemble a roster for this year.

Now that Draft is complete, how do you see Hextall attacking the next phase.

I believe july 2 Vinny will be gone, some trades or cuts will be made to free up cap.

Bottom line after we make many moves as I see anticipated, who should we sign?

Do any of the future guys have a shot at making this year's club? Morin.

Does Sanheim have a shot?

Be interesting to see what team hextall puts for this year.

To be honest with you, hextall is reminding me of Hinkie, meaning he wants to assemble a championship team from in house, if he can get a great player in free agent or trade and it makes sense so be it. But his first choice is in house.

He wants to draft, develop, promote. Even if it means we don't have a good record this year. Now I don't think we will have to wait as long as hinkie does with sixers.

But both hextall and hinkie, have similar ways of building a team.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Did they change the rule where you don't retain guys' rights anymore?

there still is a time frame to do so before you sign or lose their right, correct??

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Would have liked to see some late round flyers on some Russians. Guys like Sharov, Piagin, Gavrikov. All in all, walking away with Provorov and Konecny is still great.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Did they change the rule where you don't retain guys' rights anymore?

there still is a time frame to do so before you sign or lose their right, correct??

Yes. 4 years in most cases. 2 years for CHL guys. Unless they changed the rule it extends beyond 4 years for Russians (and I think Czechs too).

Friedman and Alt are still the only RH prospects in the system. I don't see drafting another defenseman as a problem. Again, not complaining, just would have liked to have added another guy to the pipeline later in the draft considering we had 9 picks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Looks like Hextall isn't trying to waste any time on that front, either.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Nathan Noel is free to be signed now, correct?

Eight Saint John players got drafted. Noel, their leading scorer, was not one of them. That must be a strange feeling.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe they thought he was Nerlens Noel and got confused

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

Looks like Hextall isn't trying to waste any time on that front, either.

Great move, we need a new goalie coach. If this guy helped develop Quick, I welcome what he has to say.

But With all these goalies we have now, and I mean overall in phantoms, etc.

As of right now Mason I guess will still go for us, but who is gonna back him up.

In a weird way, even when hextall does free up some cap space, should we spend it?

It sounds like he is willing to wait for his assets to develop.

Yes, hextall still has to put a club together for this year, so we have something to watch, but It seems it will be a while before we have real shot to challenge for the cup.

So hextall knowing that I wonder if hes thinking where he doesn't need to sign that big name and spend all of our money. I say he gets some one who can do the job. Then in a year or so when some assets are ready, then go out and sign talent.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm excited. Defensive prospect pool looks great. Filled up on goalies. You have to imagine that next year we'll be focused on offense in the draft. Should have a slew of picks with all our picks as well as Chicago's 2nd. I'm sure we'll pick up a few extras when we try to dump guys like Schenn, Grossman, AMac (unlikely), RJ (unlikely) and Vinny (unlikely). I imagine at least one of MDZ or Streit will be moved at the deadline for a nice haul.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Lindblom - Laughton - Konecny
Martel - Cousins - Aube Kubel
Kase - Fazleev - Marody
Dove McFalls - Vorobyov - Leier
Goulbourne

Sanheim-Provorov
Morin-Gostisbehere
Hagg-Friedman
Willcox
Vasiliev

Sandstrom
Stolarz
Tomek

We have prospect depth for the first time in decades.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
A while back he was a projected first rounder. Was selected 3rd overall in the QMJHL draft in 2013. 62 points in 66 games this year.

Ted, by the way I did see TED 2 yesterday very funny. But we gotta somehow give you a tool to alert hextall to sign the guy.

maybe you could be the annyomus HFboards flyers Raw general manager.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No 4th liners or prep schoolers.

The Old Boys Club really is dead.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We have prospect depth for the first time in decades.

It's early so things can easily change but next year looks like the forward quality will be deeper. I think their goal was just to build depth upfront & in the net which is why outside of Provorov we didn't see a defensemen selection.

I think you'll see them go back to adding defensive depth next year. They'll have a better understanding of where some guys stand & you'll have more space between them.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's early so things can easily change but next year looks like the forward quality will be deeper. I think their goal was just to build depth upfront & in the net which is why outside of Provorov we didn't see a defensemen selection.
The Canadian D-man will be coming back next year too. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad