Flyers 2015 offseason following Draft

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Morin's stock has always been lower than Draistail's so I don't quite get that comparison.

I guess that came out incorrectly. Meaning if Draisatl's stock has plummeted because half bad season in the NHL on an awful team, Morin's must have dropped even further. Not comparing the value of the two players, just the fall in their stock.

To be clear, I don't think either's have fallen, especially not Draisatl's. Oilers certainly have not given up on him, nor would the price have fallen if he were on the block.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I still don't see how that makes any sense.

Draisatl was a man-bodied 3rd overall pick which has a lot more expectations behind it than an 11th pick that was a known project. Everyone knew that Morin was going to take some time and what we wanted out of him is simply progress each year.

So while Draisatls stock might have gone down a bit by being less ready that people thought, Morins has either stayed about the same or even increased by making steady progress overall and showing growth in places like his offensive game.

I can't see any way that their situations are comparable or how what happens to one would mean anything to the other.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I actually agree with DFF on this one. Morin's progress was exponential in his draft year, and unlike Sanheim post draft season, his following two seasons' growth was normal in the sense of natural progression given his age, rather than continued "above expectations" growth. Draisatl is the same, nothing unexpected, but nothing to blow your socks off development wise.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I actually agree with DFF on this one. Morin's progress was exponential in his draft year, and unlike Sanheim post draft season, his following two seasons' growth was normal in the sense of natural progression given his age, rather than continued "above expectations" growth. Draisatl is the same, nothing unexpected, but nothing to blow your socks off development wise.
What were your expectations for Morin? He went from project to getting serious consideration for an NHL spot just a year later, near PPG production, and flashes of dominance. I get people soured on him after his performances in the spotlight but his season as a whole was pretty damn good. If your baseline baseline for a prospect exceeding expectations is Sanheim then you're probably not going to get too jumpy over Provorov's season this year either. Sanheim's jump is not normal.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I don't really think you can buy low on him. His value is still huge being a #3 pick just one year ago. Gotta give him some time to develop.

Buy low? He was the #3 draft pick last season. His stock hasn't gone down because of a bad half season on a horrible team, and half a season where was 5th on the WHL team with 50+ points in 32 games.

Yeah, I know. But with McDavid and RNH down the middle they may be open to at least listen to the offers made.

The last time I checked their board, Oilers biggest need still was on D and we have some nice options.

Was just wondering what you all would be comfortable with in a trade for Draisatl.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think you guys still aren't getting what I am saying. I'm saying Draisatl's stock has not dropped (nor has Morin's). I think he's as valuable today as he was when drafted. I think the guy saying we should "buy low" is incorrectly assuming his value has dropped. As a comparison, I said if Draisatl's stock has dropped, then Morin's must have dropped even more. But again, I think both are right where they were and should be.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Meh, I guess I'm the only one enjoying no Flyers hockey, as it allows me to catch up with other games I haven't had the chance to see during the season.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
After signing Porter we now have 27 forwards under contract, how many is usual going into a season? Seems like we could shed one or two before opening face off.

That does seem like a lot given that the Phantoms have 4 more on AHL contracts (Powe, Goumas, Hextall, Padakin). I'm guessing Padakin, Alderson, and one of Mathers/Goulbourne will start in Reading.

That is what Hextall promised they were going to do in his initial appearance here in Reading at the beginning of last season. Obviously last year's roster was pretty well set at that point, but he said going forward they were going to utilize the Royals, and have a deep enough system to provide a significant number of skaters, (not just goalies) unlike what they have done in the past with their ECHL affiliate.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Meh, I guess I'm the only one enjoying no Flyers hockey, as it allows me to catch up with other games I haven't had the chance to see during the season.

I have absolutely no interest if I know how the season or game ends.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
That does seem like a lot given that the Phantoms have 4 more on AHL contracts (Powe, Goumas, Hextall, Padakin). I'm guessing Padakin, Alderson, and one of Mathers/Goulbourne will start in Reading.

Pretty sure the bolded haven't received new contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad