Flyers' 2013 Training Camp Roster, Injury Report and Discussion

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Talbot is one of our better defensive forwards so it looks like Lavy will try to match Couts line with the opposing teams top line again. Talbot/Couts/Voracek is a great defensive line until Briere comes back. Simmonds/Read would do well for Laughton too and give him confidence.

I love this line.

I worry about stunting Voracek and Couturier's offensive potential, but, in theory, I love the two-way potential.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Laughton will make the team. Im confident in that. I think even at his current level he can be a more effective option than Wellwood, Mcginn, Sestito or even Rinaldo.

I honestly think this could be a great lineup.

hartnell-giroux-schenn (great at both ends of the ice, and with giroux, obviously fantastic offensive production)
briere-couturier-voracek (Couts and Jake both make up for Brieres lack of defensive ability, and this line also has very good offensive potential. i really think this line could be awesome)
simmonds-laughton-read (very irritating line that can hit, fly, grind and create crash and bang chances, but with a good amount of skill as well. Laughton and Read cover up Simmonds defensive woes)
rinaldo/wellwood-talbot-fedotenko (very good defensive 4th line that can hit and will give you 110% every night, and talbot and rusty can also generate offense as well. good speed too.)
wellwood/rinaldo

maybe for games where a legit shutdown line is more of a need, you swap Read and Briere, or Schenn and Briere and use
Schenn/Read-Couturier-Voracek.

Coburn - Meszaros (very mobile, steady and big. 2 hard shots from the point)
Timonen - Schenn (positional play of timonen will help schenn. well rounded pairing, and they each bring what the other lacks in some regards)
Grossmann - Gervais (grossmann is a solid positional player that should limit the shortcomings of 1 of his 2 or 3 potential partners)
Foster

Last edited:

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Laughton will make the team. Im confident in that. I think even at his current level he can be a more effective option than Wellwood, Mcginn, Sestito or even Rinaldo.

hartnell-giroux-schenn (great at both ends of the ice, and with giroux, obviously fantastic offensive production)
briere-couturier-voracek (Couts and Jake both make up for Brieres lack of defensive ability, and this line also has very good offensive potential)
simmonds-laughton-read (very irritating line that can hit, fly, grind and create crash and bang chances, but with a good amount of skill as well. Laughton and Read cover up Simmonds defensive woes)
rinaldo/wellwood-talbot-fedotenko (very good defensive 4th line that can hit and will give you 110% every night, and talbot and rusty can also generate offense as well. good speed too.)
wellwood/rinaldo

Timonen - Schenn (positional play of timonen will help schenn. well rounded pairing, and they each bring what the other lacks in some regards)
Grossmann - Gervais (grossmann is a solid positional player that should limit the shortcomings of 1 of his 2 or 3 potential partners)
Foster

Well it seems to depend on how confident the organization is with Wellwood as a fourth line center. I'm certainly not confident in that role. That said, that's the role where I see Laughton fits the best. Even the great Couturier came in as a fourth line center, no more no less. That's where Laughton will play I think should he stay, which at this point seems very likely.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

briere-couturier-voracek (Couts and Jake both make up for Brieres lack of defensive ability, and this line also has very good offensive potential. i really think this line could be awesome)
wellwood/rinaldo

maybe for games where a legit shutdown line is more of a need, you swap Read and Briere, or Schenn and Briere and use

Foster

I agree with everything except taking Grossmann away from Coburn. If anything from the playoffs showed us, the Coburn-Grossmann pairing was easily our greatest pairing all season long. They were able to shut down Malkin and co.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ

wellwood/rinaldo

Foster

I like this. Then alternate Wellwood/Rinaldo and Gervais/Foster based on who the opponent is.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
How many points did Malkin and Crosby have in the series last year? I wouldn't say shutdown more than outscoring them.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
doesn't rusty play center? why not make him the center of the 4th line and put wellwood on his wing?

I think he technically plays all fwd positions, but I like him as a wing better. I have

Rinaldo/Wellwood-Talbot-Fedotenko

As my ideal 4th line, but I suppose you could use talbot and fed interchangeably depending one which one performs better in the circle.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I agree with everything except taking Grossmann away from Coburn. If anything from the playoffs showed us, the Coburn-Grossmann pairing was easily our greatest pairing all season long. They were able to shut down Malkin and co.

I think, though, that we forget that mez was injured for a big chunk of last year and even when he returned in the playoffs he was far from 100%. I think you have to put mez with Coburn, because I believe that the elevated play of Coby is what made the Coburn-grossmann pair so effective. Meszaros is a better player flat out than grossmann, imo, and with our lack of a true #1 d man, I think you have to put them together. putting mez on the 3rd pairing is pointless i think. I believe grossmann is the type of simple, solid, positionally sound player you want anchoring a 3rd pairing, rather than a guy like mez.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I think, though, that we forget that mez was injured for a big chunk of last year and even when he returned in the playoffs he was far from 100%. I think you have to put mez with Coburn, because I believe that the elevated play of Coby is what made the Coburn-grossmann pair so effective. Meszaros is a better player flat out than grossmann, imo, and with our lack of a true #1 d man, I think you have to put them together. putting mez on the 3rd pairing is pointless i think. I believe grossmann is the type of simple, solid, positionally sound player you want anchoring a 3rd pairing, rather than a guy like mez.

I think that's where we differ. I thought Grossmann was the teams best defender before he got hurt. He was able to shutdown Malkin and the other stars that we were facing and couldn't defend against with our other defenders.

I guess I don't think Mez is as good as you think he is. Obviously just an opinion but the main reason why I would keep Grossmann and Coburn together.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I think that's where we differ. I thought Grossmann was the teams best defender before he got hurt. He was able to shutdown Malkin and the other stars that we were facing and couldn't defend against with our other defenders.

I guess I don't think Mez is as good as you think he is. Obviously just an opinion but the main reason why I would keep Grossmann and Coburn together.

i think you may be forgetting how good mez played the season before last, when he was healthy. he was, on many nights, the best defenseman on the ice for us. he had a down season last year, both in terms of health and effectiveness, but i think he can regain form this season if he stays healthy. i like grossmann a lot, but i think expecting him to play as well as you're describing may be a bit unrealistic.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
i think you may be forgetting how good mez played the season before last, when he was healthy. he was, on many nights, the best defenseman on the ice for us. he had a down season last year, both in terms of health and effectiveness, but i think he can regain form this season if he stays healthy. i like grossmann a lot, but i think expecting him to play as well as you're describing may be a bit unrealistic.
Remember though, Mez was playing against the weakest compeition on the team. Mez hasnt really skated against the malkins or crosbys

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
I like mez because I actually trust him to be able to anchor that 3rd pair and make them decent. I don't know that Grossman could carry that 3rd pairing better than mez, but at the same time, he is a great compliment to coburn on the top line.

JayB

May 30, 2012
i would put something like this:

Hartsy-G-Schenn
Voracek-Couts-Simmonds
xxx-Laughton-Read
Fedotenko-Talbot-Sestito/Rinaldo

Kipi-Schenn
Coburn-Grossman
xxx-xxx

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011

Mez is also just recovered from an injury. 3rd pairing makes the most sense for him, at least for now

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Live practice is starting on Flyers TV (website). It is midnight where I live, but I can't resist watching.

EDIT: Just saw other thread.

Evergreen

I'd argue that Grossmann is our best defender due to Timonens decline.

Uhh...no. Even if Timonen has declined as much as you seem to think, Coburn is a better defender than Grossmann. Coburn is a huge reason why Grossmann played the way he did after stinking it up in Dallas for the majority of the season.

RJ8812*

Uhh...no. Even if Timonen has declined as much as you seem to think, Coburn is a better defender than Grossmann. Coburn is a huge reason why Grossmann played the way he did after stinking it up in Dallas for the majority of the season.

and Grossmann is a huge reason why Coburn started playing better once they paired both of them up

Overall, Coburn is better, but I think Grossmann is better defensively

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/Flyers-set-opening-roster.html

With the Flyers’ first test of the season against Pittsburgh less than 24 hours away, they submitted the following roster to the NHL on Friday afternoon:

FORWARDS (14)
Claude Giroux
Brayden Schenn
Sean Couturier
Scott Hartnell
Ruslan Fedotenko
Wayne Simmonds
Jake Voracek
Matt Read
Scott Laughton
Zac Rinaldo
Max Talbot
Eric Wellwood
Jody Shelley
Tom Sestito

DEFENSE (7)
Luke Schenn
Kimmo Timonen
Andrej Meszaros
Braydon Coburn
Nicklas Grossmann
Bruno Gervais
Kurtis Foster

GOALTENDERS (2)
Ilya Bryzgalov
Michael Leighton

INJURED RESERVE (3)
Danny Briere (wrist)
Chris Pronger (concussion-like symptoms)
Matt Walker (back/hip)

ASSIGNED TO ADIRONDACK (3)
F Tye McGinn
D Andreas Lilja
G Brian Boucher

SgtJoseph*

Isn't Foster supposed to have this amazing shot? If he becomes a regular, I would think they look at him on the second pp, if only for that big point shot they're sorely missing since Pronger.

Foster has an absolute BOMB from the point............He broke the glass a few times at Tampa i believe.........BUT he needs some work on other aspects of his game..I am hoping he progresses along and helps our club on the blue line .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad