Flyers' 2013 Training Camp Roster, Injury Report and Discussion

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Also, is Coburn or L. Schenn getting powerplay time?

I doubt it. I would expect the Flyers to run 4 forwards on both the 1st and second power plays with Timmo and Mez being the defensive points. Coburn will log a ton of even strength and PK minutes. Schenn could certainly play himself into a larger role, but I expect the Flyers will have him focusing his efforts at even strength and perhaps on a second team PK.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Don't we have enough bottom pairing defensemen to fill our quota already? No need to add Redden on top of that. Rather go with what we have at this point.

If he's better than what we have, i have no problem adding him. Just because we have a bunch of bottom pairing guys doesnt mean their good... Redden is closer to a 4/5 then the other guys who are mostly just 6/7s

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I doubt it. I would expect the Flyers to run 4 forwards on both the 1st and second power plays with Timmo and Mez being the defensive points. Coburn will log a ton of even strength and PK minutes. Schenn could certainly play himself into a larger role, but I expect the Flyers will have him focusing his efforts at even strength and perhaps on a second team PK.

Isn't Foster supposed to have this amazing shot? If he becomes a regular, I would think they look at him on the second pp, if only for that big point shot they're sorely missing since Pronger.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

PF

Aug 23, 2003
UK
Visit site
If he's better than what we have, i have no problem adding him. Just because we have a bunch of bottom pairing guys doesnt mean their good... Redden is closer to a 4/5 then the other guys who are mostly just 6/7s

Why are you convinced Redden is a 4/5? The guy fell off a cliff years ago, I personally doubt he's got better since.

Edit: To be fair I should say he probably can be a bottom pair guy, I just don't see the point in getting another. I don't see him as a No. 4 guy though, I think that's expecting too much from him at 35 years old and without him having played an NHL game since 2010.

Last edited:

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
Why are you convinced Redden is a 4/5? The guy fell off a cliff years ago, I personally doubt he's got better since.

People are confused as to why Wade Redden was playing in the AHL the past two seasons, and it isnt because he isnt an NHL quality defensemen, its because he is making probably more then double his value against the cap.

He got signed to contract way above his pedigree while playing for a team that A) has a plethora of young quality NHL d-men, and B) money to burn.

Is he worth $6+ Absofreakinlutely not! Is he an NHL defensemen on the bottom pairing with a good shot and the potential to play up a bit at a reasonable contract? You bet.

Look at Souray Last seasonb as an example.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
The two pp units have been

Hartnell-G-Simmonds
Kimmo-Jake

And

Read-Couts-Schenn
Mez-Foster

If I'm not mistaken. My question is who goes when Briere comes back? Will they role with 4 forwards on the 2nd pp too and just move Read to the point like he played last year? If so who goes Mez or Foster? And when Gus comes back does he figure to get any pp time? It's obviously all speculation at this point but I'm just curious of your guys' thoughts on the subject.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
Bryz just got pissed at practice and threw his stick against the glass after getting scored on off a rushing drill...

I know beat writers (and certain posters) will rip him to shreds for this, but I, for one, am glad to see some fire from him.

I just hope it was out of pride and competitiveness and not frustration (over the buyout questions, etc.).

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
People are confused as to why Wade Redden was playing in the AHL the past two seasons, and it isnt because he isnt an NHL quality defensemen, its because he is making probably more then double his value against the cap.

He got signed to contract way above his pedigree while playing for a team that A) has a plethora of young quality NHL d-men, and B) money to burn.

Is he worth $6+ Absofreakinlutely not! Is he an NHL defensemen on the bottom pairing with a good shot and the potential to play up a bit at a reasonable contract? You bet.

Look at Souray Last seasonb as an example.

Exactly, in his last season for the NYR he was still playing on the second D pairing half the time and leading the 3rd the other half... and in the AHL he was arguably better than Souray was at the same time.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Sam Carchidi's update concerning lines:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inqflyersreport/Flyers-lines-coming-into-focus.html

With the opener just three days away, the Flyers' lines and D pairings are coming into focus.

They made a few changes in their units during Day 4 of training camp Wednesday in Voorhees.

Here’s how the lines looked:

** Claude Giroux centering Scott Hartnell and Brayden Schenn.

** Sean Couturier centering Max Talbot and Jake Voracek.

** Scott Laughton centering Wayne Simmonds and Matt Read.

** Eric Wellwood centering Ruslan Fedotenko and Zac Rinaldo.

The extras were Tom Sestito, Tye McGinn and Jody Shelley.

The previous day, Laughton had been on the fourth line -- Fedotenko was on the third unit -- and Wellwood had been an extra.

Wednesday’s D looked like his: Kimmo Timonen-Luke Schenn; Braydon Coburn-Nick Grossmann; Andrej Meszaros-Kurtis Foster; and Bruno-Gervais-Andreas Lilja.

There are indications that Meszaros, coming off Achilles ligament surgery, will be ready for Saturday’s 3 p.m. opener against visiting Pittsburgh. Gervais and Foster appear to be battling for the sixth D spot.

There is another huge crowd in Voorhees. Thursday’s camp moves to the WFC at 6 p.m., and all 20,000 tickets have been distributed.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Oh ****. Eric Wellwood as a center? Hmmm.

Then that's who Laughton has to beat out to be on this roster for the season.

That said, I'm not sure how good Wellwood is on faceoffs to be our fourth line center.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Well if you think of Laughton on the 3rd line as a placeholder for Briere, doesn't it seem like Simmonds - Briere - Read was something they pushed from the start?

Yeah I get it, I just feel like Couturier would be better served to have a guy with more offensive ability out there. I think Simmonds offense is underrated and he has the potential to be a solid contributor. Plus I think Talbot is better defensively than Simmonds (who I think is solid as well on D) so Simmonds won't really be missed in that defensive role. Also something I didn't think of until you pointed out the Briere factor was that I would prefer to see Briere out there with the best defensive lineup possible. Throwing Talbot on his wing could really help that line make up for Briere's defense. Read and Talbot could certainly carry the weight, better than Simmonds and Ream IMO.

Essentially the way I see it is swap the two and you get a better offense presence on a sound defensive line (line 2) and you get a better defensive presence on a sound offensive line (line 3).

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I would prefer to see Simmonds on the Couturier line and Talbot moved down to Simmonds place.

Talbot is one of our better defensive forwards so it looks like Lavy will try to match Couts line with the opposing teams top line again. Talbot/Couts/Voracek is a great defensive line until Briere comes back. Simmonds/Read would do well for Laughton too and give him confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->