The Athletic - Boston Fluto: With ample depth on defense, should the Bruins trade Torey Krug?

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
For the Bruins to trade Krug, they have to be absolutely sold that one or two of Zboril, Lauzon or Vaak can play in an 8th defenseman, shuttle back to Prov role for the year and be ready next year for a full time job. I don't see it happening for any of the linked names.... Skinner, Panarin. I only move him if it's a legit upgrade Top 6 C/RW that we can sign longterm and only if you're convinced it is time for the kids to start moving up.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
2018 Krug is like 2010 Wideman. We need a Nate Horton more than we need Krug right now.

Charlie and Gryz are capable of taking up Krug's roles on the PP, and we might as well deal him before he gets old and loses all value.
I'd also argue we need a time machine for a handful of our players to be impactful again.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If the Bruins want to make a big deal and I’m talking all star - Torey Krug isn’t going to be part of the deal. He’s making $5+ M and is up in 2 years.

I’ve read the Krug to Columbus but it makes zero sense to Columbus.

What does make sense to Columbus if I was the GM is

Danton Heinen & Brandon Carlo

Carlo is that coveted RHD shut down guy that can skate well

He’s also been a defense partner on Team USA with Columbus LHD Zach Werenski. They were roommates and best buds. You get Carlo you can lock up this pair for years.

Heinen I love and he’d fit in perfect on Columbus. It would not surprise me if he’s a 30 goal scorer who plays both special teams and 200 feet. He’s grossly undervalued by many Bruins fans but I’m sure hockey evaluators in Columbus get it.

The only way Don Sweeney should do this is if Artemi Panarin is signed to a multi year deal be it 5 to 8 the longer the better. I would go as high as $8.5-9 even he’s that good.

DeBrusk-Krejci-Panarin

However if Sweeney did a 1 year I would PM Fire Sweeney and ask if he would let me have that user name

I am not sure if either team would do it, or if Panarin would sign here Long term at $9 M or under but that is how I look at it if we are talking real value

Reactions: Camjams

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I rationalize it as a stat that shouldn't be used as the go-to to start a discussion on anything. The stat measures nothing more than whether the player was on the ice for a goal for/against. The player could have zero to do with the goal, but still gets a +/-. One example that always stands out in my head. Krug and Carlo were paired together. It was against Arizona. Krug gave Carlo a cross zone pass, and Carlo turns to transition the puck up. He is weak on the puck, and Dvorak picks it off and walks in alone on Rask, and scores. Everyone on the ice gets a minus (-) but Carlo is really the only reason the goal was scored.

Also, Krug may have been an "even" on the season, but that's because he was on the ice for 6 GA on the PP. That goes towards his +/- in a negative way, since GF during the PP don't affect it, but GA on the PP do. So technically Krug was a -6 on the PP this year. No, not every GA on the PP was his fault.

At 5v5, Krug was a +4. At ES, Krug was a +7.

Or you could have looked at it another way:

Krug could have gone up the wall to DeBrusk with no one going at him, or to Krejci who was circling to go on the offense with no one going at him, but he chose to go to Carlo who had Dvorak heading in his direction.

Reactions: Bodit9

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Or you could have looked at it another way:

Krug could have gone up the wall to DeBrusk with no one going at him, or to Krejci who was circling to go on the offense with no one going at him, but he chose to go to Carlo who had Dvorak heading in his direction.

I mean, sure you could have. I don't see DeBrusk an option at all here. There's two Coyotes up the boards and he doesn't even appear until the puck is on its way to Carlo. Krejci seemed like an option for Krug on the play, but going across to his partner was the safer play in that situation. Carlo has the puck and his head up in a passing position before Dvorak has even crossed the blue-line. He had Krejci as well, or could have went up the boards like you suggest Krug could have.

Instead, Carlo is soft on the puck, and weakly passes it, making it easy for Dvorak to pick it off. Even Brickley calls Carlo out on the play.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I mean, sure you could have. I don't see DeBrusk an option at all here. There's two Coyotes up the boards and he doesn't even appear until the puck is on its way to Carlo. Krejci seemed like an option for Krug on the play, but going across to his partner was the safer play in that situation. Carlo has the puck and his head up in a passing position before Dvorak has even crossed the blue-line. He had Krejci as well, or could have went up the boards like you suggest Krug could have.

Instead, Carlo is soft on the puck, and weakly passes it, making it easy for Dvorak to pick it off. Even Brickley calls Carlo out on the play.

Of course Brick does. I do also.
But I would also suggest after watching all the other angles, that it wasn't the best option for Krug, especially in the Cassidy era of pushing the puck up ice and going on the attack. Krug could have used other options, especially with his ability to lead players with a pass. Personally, I would have used DeBrusk up the wall, out of our zone and gone on the attack. His best option however may have been leading Krejci with a pass and going on the attack. Passing it d to d in your own zone with other options would have been my least favorite option.

Doesn't matter either way, we all see the game differently

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
So, what I'm reading from the pro trade Krug people, is that his value is at his highest. What about the other players? Do we trade them as well?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
So, what I'm reading from the pro trade Krug people, is that his value is at his highest. What about the other players? Do we trade them as well?
Seriously...that’s what you took from all this Krug talk? Just that it’s wise to trade guys at peak value? You honestly couldn’t just appreciate that that point might have merit but that it’s just one of a few reasons moving Krug might make sense?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Seriously...that’s what you took from all this Krug talk? Just that it’s wise to trade guys at peak value? You honestly couldn’t just appreciate that that point has merit but that it’s just one of a few reasons moving Krug might make sense?
What I take from all this is it's the off-season and the sun is affecting people. They are playing video game GM. I certainly don't follow any of Fluto's or Haggerty's none sense to get clicks.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
What I take from all this is it's the off-season and the sun is affecting people. They are playing video game GM. I certainly don't follow any of Fluto's or Haggerty's none sense to get clicks.
Alright that’s all fine. But I’ll be one to say that I think considering trading Krug is quite logical. Not to say it has to happen, but I see a glaring need for a mid-20’s+ talent in the top 6, and I’m not excited about signing Krug to a big money/term deal in two years given his durability and defensive prowess. I like the player but I think McAvoy can and will replace some of his offense, and frankly, I think the team could be better off in swapping Krug for a top scorer up front.

None of that is to read that I’m a “hater” or I want him gone. I just think moving him should be an option.

Reactions: Tampbear

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Alright that’s all fine. But I’ll be one to say that I think considering trading Krug is quite logical. Not to say it has to happen, but I see a glaring need for a mid-20’s+ talent in the top 6, and I’m not excited about signing Krug to a big money/term deal in two years given his durability and defensive prowess. I like the player but I think McAvoy can and will replace some of his offense, and frankly, I think the team could be better off in swapping Krug for a top scorer up front.

None of that is to read that I’m a “hater” or I want him gone. I just think moving him should be an option.
Never said anything about you being a hater. Too old for that none sense.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Never said anything about you being a hater. Too old for that none sense.
No I know you didn’t. But I don’t want anyone to misconstrue my view on Krug as often happens here.

Truth is I like Krug a lot. I think he’s a key part of this team. I just also happen to see a lot of sense in avoiding his next contract and trading from a position of strength to fill a potentially larger hole. But since it’s now the quiet time in the offseason I’d guess that Sweeney is again done early, and this is the roster we will likely see.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
But I would also suggest after watching all the other angles, that it wasn't the best option for Krug, especially in the Cassidy era of pushing the puck up ice and going on the attack. Krug could have used other options, especially with his ability to lead players with a pass. Personally, I would have used DeBrusk up the wall, out of our zone and gone on the attack. His best option however may have been leading Krejci with a pass and going on the attack. Passing it d to d in your own zone with other options would have been my least favorite option.

Mr. Dennit, with all due respect I disagree.

The correct play was Krug, to Carlo, to Krejci.

Krug making that Carlo pass is 100% a safe play. Krug trying to overhandle the puck with a forechecker bearing down is the wrong play.

Carlo in that situation needs to do what all great passers/puck movers do and that's to have an idea of what do to with the puck before it gets to him. If he has his head up, he sees Krejci in space moving up ice with "speed".

Krug to Debrusk/Krejci is a bad play because they are still working their way back into a defensive posture. I'd even say from that angle Krug to Krecji would require Krug to pass through a Coyote, which you want to avoid if you can.

Quickest Transition from D to O is Krug, to Carlo who should've one touched it to Krejci. Krejci collects it on his backhand with pace with JDB filling in on his left.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I like how Sweeney is handling the off season . He's acquiring some solid players and hasn't given away important pieces.

I don't see the urgency to give up players that are winning games for us at this point and I see no need to trade Krug or Carlo. Try going on the market and see just how hard it would be to replace either of those players .

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If the Bruins want to make a big deal and I’m talking all star - Torey Krug isn’t going to be part of the deal. He’s making $5+ M and is up in 2 years.

I’ve read the Krug to Columbus but it makes zero sense to Columbus.

What does make sense to Columbus if I was the GM is

Danton Heinen & Brandon Carlo

Carlo is that coveted RHD shut down guy that can skate well

He’s also been a defense partner on Team USA with Columbus LHD Zach Werenski. They were roommates and best buds. You get Carlo you can lock up this pair for years.

Heinen I love and he’d fit in perfect on Columbus. It would not surprise me if he’s a 30 goal scorer who plays both special teams and 200 feet. He’s grossly undervalued by many Bruins fans but I’m sure hockey evaluators in Columbus get it.

The only way Don Sweeney should do this is if Artemi Panarin is signed to a multi year deal be it 5 to 8 the longer the better. I would go as high as $8.5-9 even he’s that good.

DeBrusk-Krejci-Panarin

However if Sweeney did a 1 year I would PM Fire Sweeney and ask if he would let me have that user name

I am not sure if either team would do it, or if Panarin would sign here Long term at $9 M or under but that is how I look at it if we are talking real value
Ok Dan...let me commend you on this post. I think this proposed deal makes a lot of sense and if I’m Columbus I prefer it to Krug +, not knowing what the + is of course.

As for Boston it’s a lot to give up, but Panarin is a stud. He’s gonna cost a lot. I think that offer is probably pretty attractive for Columbus and makes Boston better in the short term.

Reactions: DKH

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I know Panarin is a talented player, but if Sweeney is willing to package Heinen + Carlo, I would rather the Bruins go all in and target a young top 6 center instead.

Reactions: pkunit

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I know Panarin is a talented player, but if Sweeney is willing to package Heinen + Carlo, I would rather the Bruins go all in and target a young top 6 center instead.
Top center isn’t the word. Those are BIG pieces.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Top center isn’t the word. Those are BIG pieces.
If everyone but the first line and McAvoy is available, the Bruins can obtain that type of player. In my opinion, Heinen looks to be a two-way 60pt forward and Carlo a shutdown top 3 defenseman that can contribute around 20pts. Both are still on their ELCs, Heinen scored 47pts playing third line minutes in his first full year in the league, and Carlo has shown flashes of being that mobile shutdown defenseman thus far in his development. Maybe I'm a homer since I'm valuing these players far too highly, but the kind of player Carlo is, alone, has been known to be a wanted commodity around the league.

Reactions: hrdpuk

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

They didn’t show it on the replay (it happened right before the video starts) but if memory serves, I blamed someone else there? I think either Krejci or Krug mishandles the puck causing the puck to not get out cleanly and Krug making the D to D pass?

I could be totally misremembering though?

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad