News Article: Fluto: These moves show that Peter Chiarelli believes in his Bruins

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The only good thing about those buffalo deals happening would have been watching the same people as always tripping over themselves saying what great deals they would have been,

Does Murray have an issue with Chiarelli? Criminal he didn't accept either of those deals.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
I loved the deal. I was wrong about it too.
To be fair, not sure the people who said it was a good deal were wrong as much as just unlucky. Who could've predicted an ACL tear very shortly after he signed it? We've had some bad luck with deals that look like steals and major injuries following shortly after. First Savard at $4M, now Seidenberg. Not ready to write Seidenberg off yet, but it is concerning the way he's looked coming off a major injury and being a guy getting up there in age.

More fair second guess than the Seidenberg contract that nearly everyone agreed with is putting so much faith in his health and his play this year coming off that major surgery. Lots of people had doubts about that, and their doubts have proven to be right. I actually thought both Seidenberg and the Bruins would be fine on D myself, but obviously I was wrong and so was Chiarelli.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Disagree with the Subban part. If we're talking about the same game, Lucic was careful not to take a dumb penalty but clearly challenged Subban who kept the mouth going but enough distance to avoid it escalating.

If Marchand starts yapping at, say, Nick Foligno or David Backes, and the player doesn't haul off and pop him, does that mean that player is gutless? I say no. Especially considering Subban's antics and motivation (trying to draw a penalty), to expect Lucic to flatten him is naive.

Lucic was flapping his gums in handshake last year and not a peep vs habs this year.The moment Subban pushed him he should have clocked him. Heck it might have changed way Subban plays vs them rest of the way.Anyways its just my opinion.Any other team maybe I agree but not them.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
4M would have been a great deal for Seidenberg, that knee injury has been a killer hopefully he can continue to get stronger.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Hindsight. People were excited to have Seids back and thought he was going to be a solid #2. Then he started to actually play and we realized that we were wrong. If he and Chara were playing similar to before their injuries, the Boychuk trade would sting much less.

Chia has made a lot of mistakes recently but had he had known how this years defense would be playing, I doubt he trades Boychuk.

Like I said he bet on the wrong horse. I still think at the beginning of the season he would have been better to shop Seids and keep Boychuk but I don't think anyone realized how much Seids had regressed lost knee surgery.

But with hindsight if I were GM I have learned that long term contracts for aging players is a gamble that may hamstring your team. Imo term was too long and it sure as heck should not have come with a NTC.

Players that definitely need to be traded or not re-signed-Seids (4 million off the books), Campbell, Paille.

They should shop for a top 4 Dman-although it may mean losing both Soderberg and one of Smith/Krug (but depending on the Dman the sign/trade for Krug may be unnecessary).

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Bruins doesn't have the personnel to match MTL's speed. Our defense is slow and too often on their heels. They have to hold/hook and get penalized for it. The system has very few to do with our problems against MTL.

Montreal's speed is a problem but it isn't why we can't beat them.
The Islanders are fast (Inwould argue maybe faster) but we beat them twice.
There are other speedy teams that we beat.

It isn't just the speed-it's that Montreal knows how to beat the system (and use their speed in doing so).

And Montreal is speedy but they are prone to interference, holding sticks and when we are in the Ozone they collapse and made the darn point shots useless.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Like I said he bet on the wrong horse. I still think at the beginning of the season he would have been better to shop Seids and keep Boychuk but I don't think anyone realized how much Seids had regressed lost knee surgery.

But with hindsight if I were GM I have learned that long term contracts for aging players is a gamble that may hamstring your team. Imo term was too long and it sure as heck should not have come with a NTC.

Players that definitely need to be traded or not re-signed-Seids (4 million off the books), Campbell, Paille.

They should shop for a top 4 Dman-although it may mean losing both Soderberg and one of Smith/Krug (but depending on the Dman the sign/trade for Krug may be unnecessary).

Not sure any GM would have bitten on a deal for Seids coming off major surgery but I think we`re watching Seids last year in a Bruins uni as well as Soupy and Paille, maybe Quaider too, I`m ok with that, time for change

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Montreal's speed is a problem but it isn't why we can't beat them.
The Islanders are fast (Inwould argue maybe faster) but we beat them twice.
There are other speedy teams that we beat.

It isn't just the speed-it's that Montreal knows how to beat the system (and use their speed in doing so).

And Montreal is speedy but they are prone to interference, holding sticks and when we are in the Ozone they collapse and made the darn point shots useless.

Against the Isles I have found our boys play a more composed, disciplined game, against the Habs, it`s almost like they act much in the way we feel here (frustrated, wanna kill em), start running around chasing the puck, trying to finish checks against a team that slips/slides/hides it`s way around them

I`ve always felt one of the better ways to stop the Habs was clog up the neutral zone and STOP BACKING IN when they are entering the zone, stand em up and in the defensive zone, while not giving them carte blanche to move around, stop chasing the puck, force the Habs to come to them

For as great of a year that Price is having, there is never traffic in front of him from our boys, making life pretty simple for Price, things should be way more uncomfortable for him

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Ray Feeraro on 98,5 yesterday with T&R said everyone he knows in game that had Seids injury takes a year of recovery to get back where was and believes Seidenberg will to. Agree

Seidenberg will be solid next year problem with sports fans in general lack of patience

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Against the Isles I have found our boys play a more composed, disciplined game, against the Habs, it`s almost like they act much in the way we feel here (frustrated, wanna kill em), start running around chasing the puck, trying to finish checks against a team that slips/slides/hides it`s way around them

I`ve always felt one of the better ways to stop the Habs was clog up the neutral zone and STOP BACKING IN when they are entering the zone, stand em up and in the defensive zone, while not giving them carte blanche to move around, stop chasing the puck, force the Habs to come to them

For as great of a year that Price is having, there is never traffic in front of him from our boys, making life pretty simple for Price, things should be way more uncomfortable for him

You are right, I remember reading the Isles board after we beat them about a month ago and one of the posters on their PGT said something like "and that's what happens when we play a team that plays stand up defense at the blue line... "

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

It's like lundqvist.

For years we couldn't solve him because we would stand in a circle and shoot long shots from the points and they either comes them or it was an easy save because nobody went to the net to screen him or scoop up garbage.

At some point we figured it out.

For whatever reason our guys don't go to the net with Price and I think Price can be flustered with some pressure-we just don't do it.

Price is good (pretty sure he's this year's Vezina winner barring some kind of breakdown or major injury) but other teams have lit him up-Bruins haven't figured out how and just keep trying the same stuff that doesn't work.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You are right, I remember reading the Isles board after we beat them about a month ago and one of the posters on their PGT said something like "and that's what happens when we play a team that plays stand up defense at the blue line... "

and against the Isles in one game I think they had 40+ shots, while that doesn`t appear to be a positive, post game article I recall reading had 18 of those coming from the wall and another 5 were harmless wrist shots from the blueline.

Force the opponent to beat you IMO, don`t give them the space to gain speed in the neutral zone, once in the D zone, give em the harmless shots, block out in front etc....

it seems against the Habs, all that discipline goes right out the window, looking at their lineup, there is absolutely no reason this team should be performing against that team as poorly as they have, they are a decent team who`s arse has been saved time in and out by Price

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Ray Feeraro on 98,5 yesterday with T&R said everyone he knows in game that had Seids injury takes a year of recovery to get back where was and believes Seidenberg will to. Agree

Seidenberg will be solid next year problem with sports fans in general lack of patience

It remain to be seen if Seidenberg will recover at 100% from this injury. Neely had bad knee injuries and had to stop playing. To me, it's 50-50; the same way as it was after Bergeron's last concussion. Anyhow, I think the Bruins need to re-build their blue line and with his cap space, I'm not sure Seidenberg fits anymore

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I have, too. Must say this feels like OC era B's. Even so, and with his shortcomings, Chiarelli's record is there for all to see. Ditto Julien.

The former is light years better than OC, though to be fair, he & his staff gave us Patrice, Milan, & Brad. Rask for Racroft, too, unless that happened on Gorton's interim watch (as did the Chara & Savard signings). O'Connell is also responsible for giving Thomas a chance, for which he deserves significant credit.

Hated Sinden & OC with a passion. I'll *still* never forgive Harry for the way he treated his players, never mind the fans.

With all of their warts, I would take a millennium of Chia and Julien over another year of the BS that Harry put us through. He turned into a bitter old curmudgeon who, along with the support of his owner, had the arrogance to think he could force the League to act and spend the way they wanted it to. In the end, Jacobs just took control of the ownership group and forced the labor strife.

I guess he got his way, but he and Harry took the best years of Ray Bourque, Cam Neely and many others and flushed them down the toilet. Only after crapping on them first though.

Maybe it's why I have a tendency to chafe at "he sucks" and "he's a moron" comments that are thrown around here so much. You don't know "suck" until you've endured the Harry and Jeremy crap show for years and years. ********ers.

Apologies for the rant.....:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Not sure any GM would have bitten on a deal for Seids coming off major surgery but I think we`re watching Seids last year in a Bruins uni as well as Soupy and Paille, maybe Quaider too, I`m ok with that, time for change

Exactly. Would have given him away for almost nothing if you could have found someone willing to take on the salary.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It remain to be seen if Seidenberg will recover at 100% from this injury. Neely had bad knee injuries and had to stop playing. To me, it's 50-50; the same way as it was after Bergeron's last concussion. Anyhow, I think the Bruins need to re-build their blue line and with his cap space, I'm not sure Seidenberg fits anymore

Agreed, but those were two entirely different situations.

League is littered with guys who came back from ACL surgery (particularly with today's medical resources). Not so much for calcified masses in thighs that cause kneecaps to track completely off course.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
surprised no one is looking at who the best team in the East is and if we get in, we play the Rags.

we'd be lucky to get the Habs. the Rags are deep and I could see the bruins scoring 3 goals in a 4 game series. even without the. . . King.

given the moves, it seems clear that chia, cj, and Cassidy are running the show and if someone is shown the door, it needs to be mo, larry, and curly.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
surprised no one is looking at who the best team in the East is and if we get in, we play the Rags.

we'd be lucky to get the Habs. the Rags are deep and I could see the bruins scoring 3 goals in a 4 game series. even without the. . . King.

given the moves, it seems clear that chia, cj, and Cassidy are running the show and if someone is shown the door, it needs to be mo, larry, and curly.

This is where I am so confused. If indeed there is a divide between Chia/CJ/Neely/Ferguson/Sweeney/Jacobs/Cassidy -- and it appears that there is -- then that is on the wonder boy Charlie.

He's the boss. Daddy's big cheese. The golden boy. Like the blonde son who sits next to Donald Trump on the Apprentice and says "yes, that's correct" whenever his Dad says "isn't that right, whatever your name is?".

Pick a leader -- pick a direction -- and get everyone going in the right direction. If you can't do that Charlie boy, go run Dad's mailroom and leave the job to someone who can.

To me, it's very clear that this teams "identity" right now is "We're not sure what we want our identity to be -- but we want the STH's to know that we are very disappointed. If fact we are a tornado of anger right now".

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

Why do you think we play the Rags as of now?

Anyway I'd be very happy to play the Rangers, purely because of the mental aspect of it. Rask for sure has a demon when it comes to the Habs, they are 100% in his head. That's not the case with the Rangers, so I'd take them in a heart beat. I'd still have us as dogs, but far less so than the Habs series. Also I'd take any goalie over having to face Price.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Why do you think we play the Rags as of now?

Anyway I'd be very happy to play the Rangers, purely because of the mental aspect of it. Rask for sure has a demon when it comes to the Habs, they are 100% in his head. That's not the case with the Rangers, so I'd take them in a heart beat. I'd still have us as dogs, but far less so than the Habs series. Also I'd take any goalie over having to face Price.

Agreed.

I actually think the Bruins March better with the Metro than their own division leaders.

I do think it's very possible the Habs fall out of the top spot in the conference and imo Rangers or Islanders would surge ahead. Rangers have 2 or 3 games in hand on Habs, Tampa, And Islanders so depending on who has winning or losing streaks any of those teams could come out on top. Think the Pens are pretty close too.

But of the top teams in our division I think Tampa is the only team we have beaten.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
With all of their warts, I would take a millennium of Chia and Julien over another year of the BS that Harry put us through. He turned into a bitter old curmudgeon who, along with the support of his owner, had the arrogance to think he could force the League to act and spend the way they wanted it to. In the end, Jacobs just took control of the ownership group and forced the labor strife.

I guess he got his way, but he and Harry took the best years of Ray Bourque, Cam Neely and many others and flushed them down the toilet. Only after crapping on them first though.

Maybe it's why I have a tendency to chafe at "he sucks" and "he's a moron" comments that are thrown around here so much. You don't know "suck" until you've endured the Harry and Jeremy crap show for years and years. ********ers.

Apologies for the rant.....:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Being a soon to be 51 year old Bruins fan I have to agree. I tend to give our management team the benefit of the doubt having been through some really lean years.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Being a soon to be 51 year old Bruins fan I have to agree. I tend to give our management team the benefit of the doubt having been through some really lean years.

51 in June! My guess is you and I would have some memories we could laugh, and cry, over. :laugh:

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014

Let's hope so. Seids is one of my favourite Bruins. I hate to see him struggle like this. He's been looking a little better lately, skating the puck up at times. It's that first step that isn't there yet and maybe that's screwing with his confidence, which is what leads to some of the bonehead passes. I'm going to be positive about it moving forward though.:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad