News Article: Fluto: These moves show that Peter Chiarelli believes in his Bruins

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Marley

Feb 10, 2011
If they play like they did for most of February, it won't happen.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
What a sweet thing to say to cover up the fact that he could not execute the trades necessary to help this team. But he was involved in a ton of them till the very end which is odd behavior for someone who believes in his team.......

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
After listening to Chia's 20-minute presser on NHL.com, I come away thinking he actually believes that anything can happen in the playoffs and that the important thing is just to get in. He could be just "saying" that, but it appeared to me that he was being sincere.

It's possible we could catch fire, but the odds are clearly against it. Seems he thinks Connally could be a legitimate top 6. Fine.

If Spooner pans out, and Connally does become a top 6, then, on paper, it looks quite good...for next year, not this year.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
After listening to Chia's 20-minute presser on NHL.com, I come away thinking he actually believes that anything can happen in the playoffs and that the important thing is just to get in. He could be just "saying" that, but it appeared to me that he was being sincere.

It's possible we could catch fire, but the odds are clearly against it. Seems he thinks Connally could be a legitimate top 6. Fine.

If Spooner pans out, and Connally does become a top 6, then, on paper, it looks quite good...for next year, not this year.

Sometimes you move all your chips in hoping for a one-outer. When it hits 4% of the time does that mean you were a genius?

I get the feeling they blame bad luck when they lose, but credit skill when they win, instead of evaluating the process.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I read the article, and this may well be PCs attitude. Just as easily, his attitude may be, "This s what we have. It's a transition year & I'm not selling major because the deadline return is poor. Wait till summer to retool in significant fashion."

Suspect the latter. Right or wrong, PC didn't pull a panic move to save his job. Many here thought he would. Chiarelli & his management group deserve credit for rejecting that temptation, as evidenced by the long term, cost controlled pick up of a 22 year old sixth overall pick with real talent, and upside. That's a long term move for the betterment of the club, not slapdash panic.

Give the man some credit, for all the earned criticism. Fine with the glue goy grit bit per Talbot, too.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Sometimes you move all your chips in hoping for a one-outer. When it hits 4% of the time does that mean you were a genius?

I get the feeling they blame bad luck when they lose, but credit skill when they win, instead of evaluating the process.

I remember after last year's regular season lamenting that it was foolish to have broken our backs to have won the President's Trophy and that it damned us for a productive playoff run.

I guess the stars could align if DK comes back in time and Connolly and Talbot contribute, along with Spoon and Pasta. Who knows anymore?

But, I suppose, now that the smoke has cleared, while I wished he had shed contracts, at least with Connolly and having kept this year's picks, he didn't totally screw things up.

I guess we'll have to see what transpires between now and August/Sept. to see if we'll still have Chia to kick around.

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
I read the article, and this may well be PCs attitude. Just as easily, his attitude may be, "This s what we have. It's a transition year & I'm not selling major because the deadline return is poor. Wait till summer to retool in significant fashion."

Suspect the latter. Right or wrong, PC didn't pull a panic move to save his job. Many here thought he would. Chiarelli & his management group deserve credit for rejecting that temptation, as evidenced by the long term, cost controlled pick up of a 22 year old sixth overall pick with real talent, and upside. That's a long term move for the betterment of the club, not slapdash panic.

Give the man some credit, for all the earned criticism. Fine with the glue goy grit bit per Talbot, too.

This is exactly as I see it. This team isn't making the SCF, I doubt Jordan Eberle gets them to the SCF, Jeff Petry wouldn't, Keith Yandle wouldn't. I really hope he doesn't lose his job for not making a move specifically to save it that would hurt in the long run.

The way I see this situation is he A) got rid of Seguin because he didn't see him as a winner, and didn't get enough back, and B) gambled on the Iginla deal that screwed the cap for this season. He went all in with Iginla, missed, and we're paying for it. Make no mistake, these were blunders.

Couple this with Chara playing at 75% and Krejci missing most of the year and you have a team in 8th. Give him the summer to figure it out. He's traded Phil Kessel and Tyler Seguin, not to mention Blake Wheeler. He's not afraid to make a splash to change the course of the team and I'm willing to give him a last shot to fix things.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
We're a better team than what we started with. I got faith. Our bottom 6 could go toe to toe with the best in the league. And when we get Krejci back, even stronger. LET'S GO.

David Krejci*

It's a "transition year" because of his own incompetence.

And if it's a "transition year" and he believes that, we don't have a realistic shot at the Cup, then why didn't they move their impending UFAs for picks/prospects?

There is so much to criticize about him and about this deadline.

David Krejci*

We're a better team than what we started with. I got faith. Our bottom 6 could go toe to toe with the best in the league. And when we get Krejci back, even stronger. LET'S GO.

Take off the black and gold glasses. Our defense blows. They were looking for a top 4 defenseman last year at the deadline, then they gave away one in October who would arguably be our #1. And I'm not saying that because of his performance on the Island, but because of how far Chara has fallen off (don't blame the injury, he was bad before the injury), and Seidenberg's disaster of a season. At worst Boychuk would be our #2 right now. We don't have a legit #2, or even a 3 right now.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

If the kids (Spooner, Ferlin, Pasta) can all stay up and in the line-up, and Claude keeps Paille and Campbell in the press box, when completely healthy is the Bruins forward group any worse than say Nashville's? Montreal's? It's not elite but with the additions of Connolly, Talbot and the emergence of the 3 kids it's pretty good. Better than some other playoff teams.

The issue is on the back end. I understand Chia preferring to rely on the call-ups (Trotman, Morrow, Warsofsky) rather than bring in a depth guy who may or may not fit Julien's system. Outside of Seidenberg none of the D Chia has acquired in deadlines past have been able to adjust to Julien's system in the 20 or so games coming out of the deadline.

I'm fine with not acquiring depth D-men. This team needed a top-end guy, a 1-2-3 type. Hard to get those guys in trade at any time. Yandle was the only one available and the Rangers coughed up a bounty for him.

Sadly Boychuk could of been that guy. Boston's best hope is signing him back as a UFA if he doesn't get re-signed by NYI as I don't see any 1-2-3 caliber D-men becoming available anytime soon.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
Couldn't disagree with Fluto more; I got the absolute opposite take out of things. This team has as many holes as any Bruins team in years and Chiarelli didn't invest big assets into fixing them. His biggest move was acquiring an unproven 22 year old who is probably more of a move for the future than he is for now (though he's a bit of both). That shows to me that he's more focused on the long-term than he was on 2015, likely because he doesn't believe in the team this year.

He's never had a problem going after veteran rentals in the past (Recchi, Kaberle, Iginla, Jagr, Seidenberg). The fact we totally avoided rentals and went after a 22 year old kid as our "splash" speaks volumes about his belief in this year's team, IMO.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
ESPN's Joey Mac pens a similar article.

Bruins don't make waves at deadline

You can blame Chiarelli for a lot of things (particularly the Johnny Boychuk trade prior to the season) but the fact of the matter is he couldn't fill every void at the deadline and decided to put his trust, and his job security, in the hands of the roster he's built.

Monday's underwhelming trade deadline for the Bruins could be a major morale booster for the players. As corny as that sounds, the players believe it, and that's all that matters to Chiarelli. If this fails, many will want an upper-management overhaul, which will not happen.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Felger takes Chiarelli to the woodshed

Felger: Chiarelli's drafts have left the Bruins cold

Play with the Bruins draft lists however you like here:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00004919.html
No matter how you slice it, it's putrid.

That record obviously was the impetus behind the B's making changes in their scouting department a few years back, as they hired Keith Gretzky (yes, Wayne's brother) to replace Wayne Smith as Director of Amateur Scouting. Gretzky's first full draft running the board was last year, and with the 25th pick the B's took David Pastrnak. It looks like the kid can play, so maybe the B's have turned the corner.

For all the grief O'Connell got during his tenure with the B's, the record shows that he and his regime actually nailed their share of draft picks. Patrice Bergeron was a second-round pick in 2003. David Krejci came in the second round the year after. The transitional year of 2006 (Jeff Gorton was the interim GM) was a bonanza with Kessel (first-round), Milan Lucic (second) and Brad Marchand (third) all coming aboard. It was that drafting track record (plus O'Connell's decision to give Tim Thomas a shot in net in 2001) that laid the foundation for the B's success this decade.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Clearly Chiarelli hasn't watched our defense play all season. He missed that giant hole in our top 4 because when shopping for the too expensive Dmen he was only looking for depth.

I also hate the fact that the Talbot pick up in combination with the return of Campbell means no more Spooner and probably no more Ferlin and at some point maybe no Pasta.

Basically Chia failed to fill the hole on Defense and gave Julien plenty of old, slow binkys to keep the kids out of the line up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad