News Article: Fluto: These moves show that Peter Chiarelli believes in his Bruins

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It remain to be seen if Seidenberg will recover at 100% from this injury. Neely had bad knee injuries and had to stop playing. To me, it's 50-50; the same way as it was after Bergeron's last concussion. Anyhow, I think the Bruins need to re-build their blue line and with his cap space, I'm not sure Seidenberg fits anymore

Seidenberg blew an ACL/MCL, which after surgery can come back even stronger. Cam Neely's thigh muscle calcified into solid bone and it is a wonder he could ever walk again. It's like the difference between an earache and a stroke.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
9oQW14ANzfeBWkpopdHbYJU7vqX12pkEbfJbY2sE4Y-wprLNoacVP1JrfEkbIEXoRAl3JTlnDjaGjlWjjCgAAfIO6MqMjZpCBnE6QSYzpBzN2B5juJjqHBZir9Q=s0-d-e1-ft

courtesy WEEI.com

He doesn't look arrogant or condescending enough, but it gets the point across.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
With all of their warts, I would take a millennium of Chia and Julien over another year of the BS that Harry put us through. He turned into a bitter old curmudgeon who, along with the support of his owner, had the arrogance to think he could force the League to act and spend the way they wanted it to. In the end, Jacobs just took control of the ownership group and forced the labor strife.

I guess he got his way, but he and Harry took the best years of Ray Bourque, Cam Neely and many others and flushed them down the toilet. Only after crapping on them first though.

Maybe it's why I have a tendency to chafe at "he sucks" and "he's a moron" comments that are thrown around here so much. You don't know "suck" until you've endured the Harry and Jeremy crap show for years and years. ********ers.

Apologies for the rant.....:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Quite agree. And you know what? Someone posted about an encounter with a post-B's Milbury at a bar. Mike said, succinctly, that the stingy ways emanated not so much from Mr. Burns in Buffalo, but largely from Sinden himself.

And I can believe it. Derek always supports the notion that he was a great hockey mind, and I don't doubt it. But, forgive, because this isn't nice, he was also a company man looking out for himself, and a cheap b*stard.

Probably this is unfair, but that's the view from this corner.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Think Twice, Charlie

I understand that everyone is frustrated & bummed out with the way things have gone this year. I understand that Claude has his flaws and that, possibly, the messager & his message may be getting old. I also understand that there have been significant miscalculations & mismanagement since, say, the Seguin deal.

Yet, again, look at the record over nine years. Chiarelli (helped to be sure by some OC's decisions/drafts, & Jacobs' opening his wallet) took over a terrible joke of a team & built it into a perennial contender. Similarly, until this season, Julien & his system have consistently posted elite goals against, five on five, penalty kill, third period shut down, plus/minus,and even goals scored. The club has made the playoffs every year Under PC & CJ, won a Cup & returned to the finals one season removed from that championship. The Boston Bruins have been undeniably successful during the tenure of this GM and coach. Arguing otherwise doesn't comport with the facts.

To kick one or both to the curb for some equally undeniable mistakes & one awful season seems to me a short sighted overreaction.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I understand that everyone is frustrated & bummed out with the way things have gone this year. I understand that Claude has his flaws and that, possibly, the messager & his message may be getting old. I also understand that there have been significant miscalculations & mismanagement since, say, the Seguin deal.

Yet, again, look at the record over nine years. Chiarelli (helped to be sure by some OC's decisions/drafts, & Jacobs' opening his wallet) took over a terrible joke of a team & built it into a perennial contender. Similarly, until this season, Julien & his system have consistently posted elite goals against, five on five, penalty kill, third period shut down, plus/minus,and even goals scored. The club has made the playoffs every year Under PC & CJ, won a Cup & returned to the finals one season removed from that championship. The Boston Bruins have been undeniably successful during the tenure of this GM and coach. Arguing otherwise doesn't comport with the facts.

To kick one or both to the curb for some equally undeniable mistakes & one awful season seems to me a short sighted overreaction.

I agree. Charlie needs to resist the temptation to do something just for the sake of doing something or to prove that he's the one in charge now.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
With all of their warts, I would take a millennium of Chia and Julien over another year of the BS that Harry put us through. He turned into a bitter old curmudgeon who, along with the support of his owner, had the arrogance to think he could force the League to act and spend the way they wanted it to. In the end, Jacobs just took control of the ownership group and forced the labor strife.

I guess he got his way, but he and Harry took the best years of Ray Bourque, Cam Neely and many others and flushed them down the toilet. Only after crapping on them first though.

Maybe it's why I have a tendency to chafe at "he sucks" and "he's a moron" comments that are thrown around here so much. You don't know "suck" until you've endured the Harry and Jeremy crap show for years and years. ********ers.

Apologies for the rant.....:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Right on :handclap::yo::nod:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I agree. Charlie needs to resist the temptation to do something just for the sake of doing something or to prove that he's the one in charge now.

yep

I`m not saying there aren`t qualified people out there, I`m sure there are but man o man, change can work both ways and while I`ve had my issues with the way Chia has handled a few things, this has been the most gratifying decade of Bruins hockey this fan has had in my almost 4 decades of watching this team

Rarely have I felt I`ve been ripped off by a GM who is content simply with qualifying for the playoffs

Sure, there has been a few times where I wish he did more, but I also understand based on the numerous articles I have read over the years and not quotes from Chia that he has often been one of the busiest GM`s out there. Maybe a bit risk averse when it "might" have been wise to take a risk but......

Pretty fun, almost decade of hockey under this regime

mattbnh

Apr 26, 2004
New Hampster
I'm with you.

But they could have added another D man for help.

I agree, but I fully expect Chia to try to pick up a defenseman on waivers before the playoffs.

I just hope it ends up being something better than another Meszároš.

Though I would not be surprised if it was Meszároš himself.

(Do I seem to have a low opinion of our GM? I don't. I do have low expectations of what he can do for this team at desperation time.)

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Harry Sinden sucked, but Bourque's Bruins choked half the time...Look at some of those teams that lost to inferior teams, and if you were one that said how great Chicago was, you must have missed those Edmonton teams.

So if you don't penalize Chia's teams for choking vs the Canes, Flyers, Caps and Habs then why do you his? Bruins were well on their way to winning until Ulf cheaped Neely...Would have killed the Stars that year.. Chia gets to use the injury excuse constantly.

That being said, I'd take Chia over Sinden any day of the week, but people have selective memories.

Who built (and I use the word advisedly) those teams?

You know, the teams Bob Neumeier used to to refer to as "strung together with chewing gum and bailing wire"? The teams that were reliably at least two players away from actually being good enough to seriously contend for a Cup, never mind win one? The team that hired and fired coach after coach as the GM ran the franchise and its dispirited fan base into the ground?

If they choked, they choked because, as Brian Sutter said, "I didn't have the horses."

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Who built (and I use the word advisedly) those teams?

You know, the teams Bob Neumeier used to to refer to as "strung together with chewing gum and bailing wire"? The teams that were reliably at least two players away from actually being good enough to seriously contend for a Cup, never mind win one? The team that hired and fired coach after coach as the GM ran the franchise and its dispirited fan base into the ground?

If they choked, they choked because, as Brian Sutter said, "I didn't have the horses."

For a long time it was Left Winger X-Oates/Janney- Neely plus Ray Bourque on defense. That was pretty much it. Shut down that line and even #77 couldn't carry them to victory, try as he might. It was tough viewing I'll tell you that. :shakehead

I'll take the Chiarelli era over that crap sandwich any day of the week.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I agree, but I fully expect Chia to try to pick up a defenseman on waivers before the playoffs.

I just hope it ends up being something better than another Meszároš.

Though I would not be surprised if it was Meszároš himself.

(Do I seem to have a low opinion of our GM? I don't. I do have low expectations of what he can do for this team at desperation time.)

Good point about the waiver wire. Hadn't even entered my mind. I'd certainly feel better about a decent run with NHL caliber D depth. To carry six D - three of whom are returning from major injuries & may well be nursing injuries as it is... not good. At all. To expect JM, DW or ZT to step into an NHL playoff series is asking a great deal, if not too much.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
For a long time it was Left Winger X-Oates/Janney- Neely plus Ray Bourque on defense. That was pretty much it. Shut down that line and even #77 couldn't carry them to victory, try as he might. It was tough viewing I'll tell you that. :shakehead

They lost twice in finals to Oilers with that crew and finally owned habs for a few years too.Was not as bad as here suggests.But I do agree Sinden was a hard case.The only loss that bugs me to this day was 79 too many men on ice call.Boston had that series and it was stolen by 2 powerplays.The call before it to Rick Middlton was questionable too.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Tough viewing indeed. The worst part? Raymond falling short year after year because he had too little around him. Having to be stoic in defeat, say all the right things, yet dying inside. The best part? Oates ripping into OC & shooting his way out of town.

People either weren't around back then, or memories have faded. No one wanted to come to Boston. Sinden ran the organization withan iron fist & contempt for fans. it took many years for those fans to finally vote with their feet. That's the only reason change came.

Thank the hockey gods that Ray got out and at last won the Cup he so richly deserved. And that at the remove of management, Cam got his ring as well.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Seidenberg blew an ACL/MCL, which after surgery can come back even stronger. Cam Neely's thigh muscle calcified into solid bone and it is a wonder he could ever walk again. It's like the difference between an earache and a stroke.

This is just plain false.

ACLs can *never* be as strong after repair, as the original ligament.

ACL surgery is reconstructive-- a graft repair. They take a piece of your knee cap ligament and drill it into your bones, and hope it vascularizes into a strong enough makeshift ACL.

You never achieve full range of motion again, and you never achieve the same knee stability, even with aggressive rehab. That's the reality. It's also why ACL tears are often re-ruptured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad