News Article: Fluto: Milan Lucic’s fate is a tricky call for Bruins GM Don Sweeney

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Toss in their 1st and it's not bad, I'd rather go for 3rd overall though :sarcasm:

I'd love to have that 3rd, but then

Wotherspoon, Poirier, Meier, Roy+ later round picks would give a huge boost to our prospect pool,( but for some reason I'm wanting Strome, our Getlaf-Perry duo in Strome-Pasta, then let's do the crazy thing and package Krecji for D :laugh:)

But if we would trade Lucic then we need to get a top6 winger back somehow, use Smith, Subban whatever it takes to land him or our offense won't be that great.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Toss in their 1st and it's not bad, I'd rather go for 3rd overall though :sarcasm:

I'd love to have that 3rd, but then

Wotherspoon, Poirier, Meier, Roy+ later round picks would give a huge boost to our prospect pool,( but for some reason I'm wanting Strome, our Getlaf-Perry duo in Strome-Pasta, then let's do the crazy thing and package Krecji for D :laugh:)

But if we would trade Lucic then we need to get a top6 winger back somehow, use Smith, Subban whatever it takes to land him or our offense won't be that great.

That Calgary trade looks too much to me like a Chiarelli trade-- a bunch of younger depth pieces, none of whom are established, for an established/marquee player in Lucic.

More intriguing: Arizona have been dangling their third overall pick. KPD was talking on CSNNE about sending Arizona -- Lucic plus our 14th overall, for their 3rd. Probably would have to send more, but I can see how that would be attractive to Arizona.

story: http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/dupont-if-bruins-make-trade-lucic-guy-go

Marner or Strome are both franchise-level talents (I'd say Marner is more of the offensive dynamo, but Strome is great too), would easily fill our elite-talent gap for the years ahead, filling up both the Seguin-hole, and also free up cap space.

Hate to lose Lucic, but that's awfully tempting.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
That Calgary trade looks too much to me like a Chiarelli trade-- a bunch of younger depth pieces, none of whom are established, for an established/marquee player in Lucic.

More intriguing: Arizona have been dangling their third overall pick. KPD was talking on CSNNE about sending Arizona -- Lucic plus our 14th overall, for their 3rd. Probably would have to send more, but I can see how that would be attractive to Arizona.

story: http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/dupont-if-bruins-make-trade-lucic-guy-go

Marner or Strome are both franchise-level talents (I'd say Marner is more of the offensive dynamo, but Strome is great too), would easily fill our elite-talent gap for the years ahead, filling up both the Seguin-hole, and also free up cap space.

Can't see this happening without Lucic being extended or something. Way too much risk/cost for AZ.

I would do it gladly from Boston perspective, take Strome or Hanafin... but not happening.

I think we can get a decent package for Lucic but 3rd overall is a moonshot

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

If Sweeney somehow can get us that 3rd pick then ........ yes :laugh:

Strome+37th(D prospect) would be huge for us, huge. We didn't even interview Marner so it got me thinking we aren't planning of drafting him.
I also like that Strome has size, right now I couldn't pick Hanifin over him.

We'd have potential elite C and elite D, that's how you build a contender team for years. We need elite talent, we need a player who can carry us, be a game changer.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

The Calgary trade sounds exactly like a Chia trade, younger depth pieces who may never pan out for a established key piece. Even if they included their 1st rounder I don't see how that trade helps Boston next year or even the year after. So they lose Lucic and even by the slight chance all 3 returning pieces pan out, you won't see much return until Chara's likely final season.

If they have to give up more than the 14th + Lucic for the 3rd overall it's an over-payment. I'm not convinced any of Marner/Strome/Hanifin are guaranteed elite players. Probably all will be NHLers and good ones, but not guaranteed elite. Fans get way to caught up in draft hype largely generated by media types.

I don't see why a cash-strapped team like Arizona would have any interest in a UFA to be Lucic who given the shaky situation they find themselves in, would have any interest in re-signing in Arizona.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
The real answer is they don't. These guys writing these articles are no different than us posting in what we want to see happen in the offseason. They just get it posted in newspapers.

Lucic is not getting dealt.
Surmising that PC wants to offer sheet Dougie because he wants to stick it to the Bruins? These guys are turning into tabloid journalists not sports writers.

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
I'm not totally sold on Strome. I think he could end up being a huge bust or good player for whoever picks him. I think from what I have seen of him, he is more of a product of playing with a great player in McDavid. I could be wrong but that is just my opinion. He seemed to almost come out of nowhere this year. I would personally take Hanifin over Strome because I think it is harder to find great defensemen than it is to find a scoring forward.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm not totally sold on Strome. I think he could end up being a huge bust or good player for whoever picks him. I think from what I have seen of him, he is more of a product of playing with a great player in McDavid. I could be wrong but that is just my opinion. He seemed to almost come out of nowhere this year. I would personally take Hanifin over Strome because I think it is harder to find great defensemen than it is to find a scoring forward.

We could have 1 crazy D group in few years,
potentially 2 elite D's on the same team and then add krug-morrow-linus+x.
Hanifin+Hamilton both playing 25mins per game :laugh:
Rask playing behind them, defense could be quite strong :laugh:

Then would come the question that who is going to score for us.

BostonBeatdown

May 3, 2007
Hartford
I really don't think he is worth more than 5 mill at this point, doesn't light the lamp as much as a 6+mill player should and is physicality neutralized by the refs.

I am a big Lucic fan and want Bruin to resign him. But I sort of agree that he is not worth crazy money, and if he asks for too much, we should trade him at the deadline to get max value. Letting him walk is bonkers though, either sign him or trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad