News Article: Fluto: Milan Lucic’s fate is a tricky call for Bruins GM Don Sweeney

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Nope? "We will win it all next year" "I'll f'ing kill you" don't sound like things a leader says. Plus it took him what 3 games to even stand up for himself to Prout? Lucic is a shell of his former self and gets laughed at on the ice, we all watched it all last season.

Didn't he say he tried to be calmer because of what happened last year?

But if he can't find his past attitude then why are we paying a powerforward 7M? He should know how to be a beast powerforward without the craziness by now.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Nope? "We will win it all next year" "I'll f'ing kill you" don't sound like things a leader says. Plus it took him what 3 games to even stand up for himself to Prout? Lucic is a shell of his former self and gets laughed at on the ice, we all watched it all last season.

I agree that Lucic's mouthing off after crashing out against the Habs, and the nut spearing was dumb and unnecessary, but I do remember Lucic backing up his talk about Prout and knocking him silly.

Too bad the Bruins didn't respond with similar fire and heft.

Last edited:

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Why do you feel this way?

Personally I think he's a logical guy to move if you want to add speed. If you are confident in Spooner you have some depth, and Krejci obviously isn't fast. You could resign Soderberg for 3rd line center and try to acquire a quality dman for Krejci.

I would also explore trading Krejci and his big cap hit. Keep Soderberg and get a top 4 defenseman for Krejci.

However, I'd be surprised if the Bruins do that.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I would also explore trading Krejci and his big cap hit. Keep Soderberg and get a top 4 defenseman for Krejci.

However, I'd be surprised if the Bruins do that.

Soderberg 2G 12A 14P in 35 games Playing 2nd line minutes when Krejci was hurt that projects to 5G 28A 33P Over 82 games

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Soderberg 2G 12A 14P in 35 games Playing 2nd line minutes when Krejci was hurt that projects to 5G 28A 33P Over 82 games

Soderberg is not better than Krejci. The context was a discussion about which big cap contract needs to go to allow the Bruins to move forward.

Do you trade Chara, Lucic, Krejci, Bergeron or Rask? Among them I think trading Krejci (while not ideal) would hurt the least, primarily due to the relative strength at center in the organization.

Bergeron
Soderberg
Spooner
Kelly
Kemppainen
Khokhlachev

As I also mentioned I don't think they will move Krejci. They apparently told Soderberg's agent they can't afford him. I'm guessing they think Kemppainen will center the third line

So who has the big contract they trade for cap relief? Looks like the next logical choice is Lucic.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Soderberg is not better than Krejci. The context was a discussion about which big cap contract needs to go to allow the Bruins to move forward.

Do you trade Chara, Lucic, Krejci, Bergeron or Rask? Among them I think trading Krejci (while not ideal) would hurt the least, primarily due to the relative strength at center in the organization.

Bergeron
Soderberg
Spooner
Kelly
Kemppainen
Khokhlachev

As I also mentioned I don't think they will move Krejci. They apparently told Soderberg's agent they can't afford him. I'm guessing they think Kemppainen will center the third line

So who has the big contract they trade for cap relief? Looks like the next logical choice is Lucic.

Spooner will surely be 3LC?

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
I've got no problem with Spooner being a second line centre next year, if it means we acquire genuine depth elsewhere. The kid showed that he's absolutely an NHL calibre player this year. I know it's a small sample size but hey ho

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
no need to shudder at the 'brain trust' these were my views. I'm the idiot not Sweeney and company

Sorry, I either misread your post or conflated it with another, but I was under the impression it was "insider" information. Regardless, the snarky tone of my post was uncalled for, so apologies. Not an excuse, but I pinned a lot of hopes on the removal of Chia and so far I have to say I'm a wee bit disillusioned and frustrated at the seeming reluctance to make hard decisions. Have a good one.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

Bergeron
Soderberg
Spooner
Kelly
Kemppainen
Khokhlachev

Agree, trade Krejci his contract is ridiculous. Bergeron is the number one center and is paid as a #1.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Agree, trade Krejci his contract is ridiculous. Bergeron is the number one center and is paid as a #1.

I don't think it's any coincidence the team had it's worse year when Krejci was out half the season and had the lingering injury since pre-season.

Bergeron and Krejci are a great pair but they are both #1B kind of centers. Put them with each other and the opposition doesn't know who to try and match up against. Take one of them out and you let the opposition only key in on one and you get what we saw last season.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I never liked these big contracts. They are team killers. How many players are worth the 7,8, and 9+ year terms. If they don't produce during this time or are hurt, the team is screwed. I'll take the old 4 or 5 year deals and stick with it.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
I never liked these big contracts. They are team killers. How many players are worth the 7,8, and 9+ year terms. If they don't produce during this time or are hurt, the team is screwed. I'll take the old 4 or 5 year deals and stick with it.

Looking at it as a GM yes...but as a player you'd take the long term deal.

Next CBA if I'm the league I try to put a cap on the length of a contract...even more then now.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Someone else can look up the Nesn stat on Soderberg but it was something like.75 or .60ppg against 3/4th lines and . 25ppg against 1/2 lines. He beat up on the lower lines to get his points.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Not sure why trading Krejci is a better option then trading Lucic. I'm not a huge Krejci fan but until Spooner proved us that he's the really deal ( a.k.a 1-2 centerman ), I think it's a better idea to keep him. Since he's a sign player, he will have value next year. Lucic is a pending UFA and the Bruins will make a HUGE mistake by re-signing him. Basically, trading Lucic will allow to re-sign Hamilton. I don't think the decision is that hard. In the end, if the Bruins want cap flexibility, they should trade both Eriksson and Lucic....

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sorry, I either misread your post or conflated it with another, but I was under the impression it was "insider" information. Regardless, the snarky tone of my post was uncalled for, so apologies. Not an excuse, but I pinned a lot of hopes on the removal of Chia and so far I have to say I'm a wee bit disillusioned and frustrated at the seeming reluctance to make hard decisions. Have a good one.

no problem at all....don't worry. I do believe if there was someone there that knocked their socks off they would make a move.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Don't want to sound silly but....when the hell did Spooner prove hes a #1/2 C? Hes a good 3C but he showed me nothing that warrants he could handle 1/2 especially in his own zone. If Krejci is gone Boston is ****ed, mark my words.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Don't want to sound silly but....when the hell did Spooner prove hes a #1/2 C? Hes a good 3C but he showed me nothing that warrants he could handle 1/2 especially in his own zone. If Krejci is gone Boston is ****ed, mark my words.

Spooner showed a lot of promises and I do believe that he can develop into a #1-2 center but there's always uncertainty about young players. That's why I think that the Bruins can't afford to trade Krejci; at least,not right now. Have to wait and see how Spooner will perform through a full NHL season.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I haven't seen this sort of argument from those that believe Spooner can move up in a top 6 role so we can trade Krejci, but we can look at the Blackhawks for an example. They made it to the Stanley Cup with Toews and Richards as their top 2 centers. I think given a whole season, I wouldn't be surprised to see Spooner produce more than Richards did this season, however, I like you don't think Spooner is just as ready to play in a top 6 role yet. Give him a whole season, and we'll see how it goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad