News Article: Fluto: Milan Lucic’s fate is a tricky call for Bruins GM Don Sweeney

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Don't want to sound silly but....when the hell did Spooner prove hes a #1/2 C? Hes a good 3C but he showed me nothing that warrants he could handle 1/2 especially in his own zone. If Krejci is gone Boston is ****ed, mark my words.

Yep. This team was embarrassed both times its #1 c missed significant time, 2010 playoffs games 4-5-6-7 and the whole 2014-2015 season.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
spooner is a heck of a weapon on the power play and if the Bruins decide to be more aggressive instead of complacent then we may ACTUALLY get some power plays

you want to see if Boston gets the new system then watch the power plays

Claude system has been to la, la, la, la, la... then collapse and get back pressure- that leads to zero power plays

I like Claude but his system is ready for a 2 am infomercial

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've said this before but Lucic is much easier to move than Krecji, I can't find a team other than maybe STL who coul take Krecji and that limits the return, they'd send Backes back and that kills the value and they have to think about Tarasenko. So I just can't find teams that would take him.

You can create a bidding war for Lucic and get value back, but Sweeney's comments do sound like he wants to re-sign him.

MadderBum*

I've said this before but Lucic is much easier to move than Krecji, I can't find a team other than maybe STL who coul take Krecji and that limits the return, they'd send Backes back and that kills the value and they have to think about Tarasenko. So I just can't find teams that would take him.

You can create a bidding war for Lucic and get value back, but Sweeney's comments do sound like he wants to re-sign him.

he has to say that..keeps teams thinking they don't want to move him...drives up the price...unlike pc who took pennies on the dollar...great move not trading carl too by petey

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
[/B]

he has to say that..keeps teams thinking they don't want to move him...drives up the price...unlike pc who took pennies on the dollar...great move not trading carl too by petey

Yeah, the Peter Chiarelli approach to trading Lucic would be to:

(1) Have a press conference where the GM questions Lucic's drive and compete level, and then admonish him for being too lazy. Just in case no one noticed Lucic's bad season last year, this presser will effectively reduce Lucic's value.

(2) Trade Lucic for the first offer that comes in.

(3) Tape an episode of Behind the B, elaborately staged to justify #2 to fans.

(4) Miss the playoffs, get fired, head to Edmonton

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
[/B]

I just also started to think that could Cam say yes to Lucic trade?
and if they are thinking about it are/would they move up to land Crouse?

Bidding war for Lucic at the draft could be pretty good for us.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario

Not sure what his contract states now for trading but teams are always looking for true centers and Krejci fits that to a T.

One team that comes to mind is the Yotes...

But I do agree that they could start a bidding war at the draft for Lucic, but I also feel the same can be done with Krejci. Would the return be the same...who knows, everyone will have a different opinion.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Not sure what his contract states now for trading but teams are always looking for true centers and Krejci fits that to a T.

One team that comes to mind is the Yotes...

But I do agree that they could start a bidding war at the draft for Lucic, but I also feel the same can be done with Krejci. Would the return be the same...who knows, everyone will have a different opinion.

I know teams are looking at true centers but there are problems, every team that needs one has 1 big C on heavy contract that they can't move or won't move and that's bad for your cap situation.
Also Yotes would have to give up too much to get Krecji and it would really hurt their rebuild, they are going to need those young top players when they are finished rebuilding.

Examples of the teams that need true C.
Minnesota= They have Koivu at 6.75M, he is their captain, trade protection and has a family, also they have to re-sign almost every in a year/new contracts will kick in in that time frame.

Nashville= They need a true C and the only ones we'd want are FF and Jones and we won't get them, also I have a feeling that they would rather go after ROR because he is cheaper to get+ younger.

Edmonton has assets we could really use but they have no need for expensive C, McDavid, RNH and Draisaitl. Chia would definitely make an offer for Lucic.

STL= They'd ship Backes to us and that kills the value for that trade, Backes is older, not as good and we'd have to re-sign him after next season.

But you say Lucic is available and create a bidding war and lots of teams are starting to throw offers and we would get high value back, this team can't survive from a trade where we trade talent for nothing, that would set us too far away from top teams and teams behind us have much much better prospects growing up and they'll again get huge prospects from this years draft.
Also this team would be better with Krecji-Bergeron duo in the future, I believe Krecji will keep his form better because he doesn't use his body to make an impact, he uses his vision/passing/faceoffs, he will always have these.
If Lucic can't be a beast powerforward in his later years then we are paying for average 3rd liner 7M.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
I know teams are looking at true centers but there are problems, every team that needs one has 1 big C on heavy contract that they can't move or won't move and that's bad for your cap situation.
Also Yotes would have to give up too much to get Krecji and it would really hurt their rebuild, they are going to need those young top players when they are finished rebuilding.

Examples of the teams that need true C.
Minnesota= They have Koivu at 6.75M, he is their captain, trade protection and has a family, also they have to re-sign almost every in a year/new contracts will kick in in that time frame.

Nashville= They need a true C and the only ones we'd want are FF and Jones and we won't get them, also I have a feeling that they would rather go after ROR because he is cheaper to get+ younger.

Edmonton has assets we could really use but they have no need for expensive C, McDavid, RNH and Draisaitl. Chia would definitely make an offer for Lucic.

STL= They'd ship Backes to us and that kills the value for that trade, Backes is older, not as good and we'd have to re-sign him after next season.

But you say Lucic is available and create a bidding war and lots of teams are starting to throw offers and we would get high value back, this team can't survive from a trade where we trade talent for nothing, that would set us too far away from top teams and teams behind us have much much better prospects growing up and they'll again get huge prospects from this years draft.
Also this team would be better with Krecji-Bergeron duo in the future, I believe Krecji will keep his form better because he doesn't use his body to make an impact, he uses his vision/passing/faceoffs, he will always have these.
If Lucic can't be a beast powerforward in his later years then we are paying for average 3rd liner 7M.

Can't remember where I heard it or read it, but there was thought of Montreal approaching Minny about Koivu.

As for the Yotes, no one knows what could be had if Boston approached them about Krejci. I read an article where Doan said he didn't want a repeat of last year and said the team needs to turn it around right away.

Phoenix will not last through a so called rebuild. Fans will go golfing and the team will move.

For me there are 3 untouchables on this team...Bergeron, Rask and Chara. But even those you'd have to listen if someone came calling.

Lastly on Krejci...yes he has the vision and such, but if he can't skate because of his hip trouble then we are paying him for nothing also.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Can't remember where I heard it or read it, but there was thought of Montreal approaching Minny about Koivu.

As for the Yotes, no one knows what could be had if Boston approached them about Krejci. I read an article where Doan said he didn't want a repeat of last year and said the team needs to turn it around right away.

Phoenix will not last through a so called rebuild. Fans will go golfing and the team will move.

For me there are 3 untouchables on this team...Bergeron, Rask and Chara. But even those you'd have to listen if someone came calling.

Lastly on Krejci...yes he has the vision and such, but if he can't skate because of his hip trouble then we are paying him for nothing also.

About Montreal, the rumour was that they would send Plekanec back, and that's not a great trade for Minnesota and Montreal would be taking more cap in when they need to shred cap.

That Yotes thing is a bad one, they went for rebuild and then saying they should fix if fast and they should.

I'm hoping one of them won't be in the lineup when the next season begins but I'm scared that they end up trading Lou for basically nothing which would be a horrible mistake. Those 2 will have huge contracts and we don't know how good they will be in few years due to different reasons.

Also if we think about what Sweeney is saying, that he wants a faster game, create more offense and then we would have Chara-Krecji-Bergeron-Rask-Lucic-Hamilton on huge contracts, 1st) that is way too many on a team that has holes in the lineup and 2nd) only Hamilton is a player who is build for that style, 3rd) those others than Hamilton will be near the end of their primes in 2-3 years and how can Sweeney's style work then?
They aren't the fastest skaters now and what will happen when they lose their prime form? Is Sweeney trying to bring a style in Boston which can't work if he doesn't realize to do bigger roster changes?

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
About Montreal, the rumour was that they would send Plekanec back, and that's not a great trade for Minnesota and Montreal would be taking more cap in when they need to shred cap.

That Yotes thing is a bad one, they went for rebuild and then saying they should fix if fast and they should.

I'm hoping one of them won't be in the lineup when the next season begins but I'm scared that they end up trading Lou for basically nothing which would be a horrible mistake. Those 2 will have huge contracts and we don't know how good they will be in few years due to different reasons.

Also if we think about what Sweeney is saying, that he wants a faster game, create more offense and then we would have Chara-Krecji-Bergeron-Rask-Lucic-Hamilton on huge contracts, 1st) that is way too many on a team that has holes in the lineup and 2nd) only Hamilton is a player who is build for that style, 3rd) those others than Hamilton will be near the end of their primes in 2-3 years and how can Sweeney's style work then?
They aren't the fastest skaters now and what will happen when they lose their prime form? Is Sweeney trying to bring a style in Boston which can't work if he doesn't realize to do bigger roster changes?

Montreal wants that big center and Koivu gives them that. I believe they do have cap room, just not a lot.

The Yotes are the Yotes...still believe something could be done there.

Everything else you said I agree with. The Bruins have some big contracts and you can add one more with Hamilton. I believe Chara has this year and next and then they have to decide to keep him or let him walk.

But like DKH said, they put up 96 points last year and it's not like this is an overly bad team. Factor in the new approach and things should be different this year.

It's going to take some good drafting in the next two years and some amazing trades for the Bruins to fill the spots that are going to be needed to be filled as trades are made, be it Krejci, Lucic or anyone else, and guys are not resigned.

Without a major overhaul right now this team has to potentially stay as is for it to be wear teams like the Hawks are.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Montreal wants that big center and Koivu gives them that. I believe they do have cap room, just not a lot.

The Yotes are the Yotes...still believe something could be done there.

Everything else you said I agree with. The Bruins have some big contracts and you can add one more with Hamilton. I believe Chara has this year and next and then they have to decide to keep him or let him walk.

But like DKH said, they put up 96 points last year and it's not like this is an overly bad team. Factor in the new approach and things should be different this year.

It's going to take some good drafting in the next two years and some amazing trades for the Bruins to fill the spots that are going to be needed to be filled as trades are made, be it Krejci, Lucic or anyone else, and guys are not resigned.

Without a major overhaul right now this team has to potentially stay as is for it to be wear teams like the Hawks are.

Koivu has a family in Minnesota and I/minnesota fans doubt that he wants to go to Montreal and follow his brother for different reasons. They also signed Petry which means they have to move few weaker contracts.

I agree that this team can be strong enough to challenge and we don't have to rebuild, that's why I'm saying we should move 1 big contract.
Like you said we need new strong players, those take assets and our current roster isn't made for Sweeney's style.

Chara has 2 years left with 7M, Krecji-Lucic-Hamilton-Rask-Bergeron= that's a huge amount of cap for players who don't fit into his style, those are our best assets to get value back, I don't know how Sweeney can demand a different style if he doesn't give Julien the players and I don't know how they can deman a cup if he doesn't build a roster that is good enough to win.

We need 1 top player who fits into Sweeney's system, someone who can be a game changer, again not saying rebuild, just move one of those contracts for that player, and draft well this year so we can be like the Hawks. They know when to say goodbye to players who are asking for too much.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Sweeney has to know before the draft what Lucic demands are so he either has an agreement on a deal to be signed on July 1st or he knows that he will never sign him at that Cap number so he can already see if there is a deal that make sense at the draft.

If not, revisit the offer/trade at the deadline and pull the trigger on either.

If it's a new contract, the lowest the Cap hit can be with Lucic is on a 8y deal, Go that route. If it's a trade, the return better be very good...

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Sweeney has to know before the draft what Lucic demands are so he either has an agreement on a deal to be signed on July 1st or he knows that he will never sign him at that Cap number so he can already see if there is a deal that make sense at the draft.

If not, revisit the offer/trade at the deadline and pull the trigger on either.

If it's a new contract, the lowest the Cap hit can be with Lucic is on a 8y deal, Go that route. If it's a trade, the return better be very good...

Best case scenario for a trade would be at the deadline. In a contract year, I will put anything on Lucic moving his legs and playing a gritty game more than he has in years which will drive his stock up.

If we traded him now, teams will look at last year and be very underwhelmed.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
In fact, Boston is deep at LW: Lucic and Marchand, along with Eriksson and Smith, who are both left shots and who should be LW, anyway. Trade Lucic and the Bruins are still fine on that side. Even more, if Lucic can be traded for Taylor Hall (LW), that would be ideal.

I hate to say it boys, but there is no chance the oilers move hall for Lucic, let alone with Lucid ufa at year's end.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
More and more headlines about the possibility of a Lucic trade. If we do trade him, I'd love to be on the definitive winning end of it for longer than 2 years.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I have zero problems with a Lucic trade. I've been disappointed in his play and frankly I think he's already over paid for what he does. I also think the Bruins need Hamilton a lot more than they need Lucic. Forwards are relatively easy to find but #1 defensemen are few and far between in comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad