The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: Hiding David Backes: Bruins may not be able to shelter their right wing much longer

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Backes seems like he's good for about one good shift a game and then he disappears. Probably more due to his injury history than to his age. The guy has been a warrior. But I do not believe he is a better player than Acciari now. Acciari seems to get places a bit faster and have more staying power. That (fourth/third) line he's on has some chemistry going.

I don't see how the B's could trade Backes, even if they ate up a lot of salary. Probably best to rest him a lot and use him for spot duty as the extra forward. Send JFK down when Nordstrom returns.

I am guessing that he retires from injury before the end of that contract. He is working hard and his head shows flashes of thinking the game at a high level. Then it all seems to go away. I still hold out hope that his thought speed return to normal over time as his brain heals. I just dont know if it can.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I am guessing that he retires from injury before the end of that contract. He is working hard and his head shows flashes of thinking the game at a high level. Then it all seems to go away. I still hold out hope that his thought speed return to normal over time as his brain heals. I just dont know if it can.

He'll go on LTIR before he retires. Think Savard. Hes a PA guy they don't like it when each other 'retire' and leave money on the table. Nash wouldn't have 'retired' if he was under contract he'd be LTIR like Horton or Clarkson.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
It bothers me that management is typically about 12 months or more behind general HFBoards understanding of the personnel situation. It feels like this article could/should have been written two years ago.

Backes is aweful, no shit!

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Backes is so done, he was done, when he came here, even though his 1st year was ok (not by his salary standards, but ok)

Well if he done with rest of this year and 2 more full years after this at 6 million then Bruins GM is out of touch.He give him 5 years at 30 million.:amazed:Does not say much for his brains then.:loony:Here is hoping Backes takes that 4th line role and runs.Expensive 4th liner but least Bruins be getting something for it.Might as well root him on cause stuck with him.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Got himself a goal and didn’t look out of place on that 4th line.

He wouldn’t be my first choice but I can understand why they like him in front of the net on the PP.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
....Here is hoping Backes takes that 4th line role and runs.Expensive 4th liner but least Bruins be getting something for it.Might as well root him on cause stuck with him.
Exactly right.

We are gonna need him in the playoffs, because that Heinen-JFK-Donato line isn't going to cut it, come post-season.

Reactions: minpind

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Exactly right.

We are gonna need him in the playoffs, because that Heinen-JFK-Donato line isn't going to cut it, come post-season.
May well be Frederic and Senyshyn with Backes, If things work out. That is a real size improvement for the 3rd line.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
How rude david backes is... so many fans begging him to roll over and die. Famous media people saying there is no where to hide

Its disgusting he will score 5 goals and post 12 points in his 22 games as a hard hitting defensive responsible team leader

Each time some poor fan comes and is forced to choke out an acknowlegement he had another good game, i feel bad

Thank god hes still getting back to speed with concusion recovery or this could be ugly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad