The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: Hiding David Backes: Bruins may not be able to shelter their right wing much longer

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Asking too much of Backes to play on top lines better fitted for third or fourth line minutes
Now I know allot to pay this money for bottom line time but this is the situation the are in

I think it’s time to move the so called fourth line to the third line as it seems they are now and put together a good fourth line and not referring to built around JFK or Donato

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
Was there not a comment made by Cassidy in preseason about his foot speed? I could be wrong or thinking of another player. Hope it doesn't hold him back.
There were multiple comments by Cassidy, seemed to focus on his quickness and pace of his game rather than straight away speed. My main issue with Cehlarik is his habit of turning over pucks in very dangerous areas. He’s improved on that a bit this year. Has earned a chance with his overall play.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Backes seems like he's good for about one good shift a game and then he disappears. Probably more due to his injury history than to his age. The guy has been a warrior. But I do not believe he is a better player than Acciari now. Acciari seems to get places a bit faster and have more staying power. That (fourth/third) line he's on has some chemistry going.

I don't see how the B's could trade Backes, even if they ate up a lot of salary. Probably best to rest him a lot and use him for spot duty as the extra forward. Send JFK down when Nordstrom returns.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
To be fair to Fluto here, I think it less about that than about the team being about out of options for David Backes as a regular in the lineup.

It's too bad. I have great respect for Backes. It hasn't worked out from the beginning.

Beyond this, I am sick & tired of the line shuffling. It's mid January. Clearly, Sweeney's hope that the younger players would continue to improve and provide second line scoring/third line C has not worked.

I'm waiting for him to make a deal, and I don't mind if it includes some, or a good many, of the prospects we've seen thus far.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
it's a good **** or get off the pot moment for cehlarik. if he's as good as everyone believes, he'll stick and be
a top 9 guy for years. or convince another team that he's worth it in a deal. if he doesn't deliver, he'll end
up back in providence, then with another team here or in europe.

lots of stones to sit backes, even more stones if they sit him tomorrow vs the blues.

I didn't realize the Blues were up next. That would be humiliating. I feel for David.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I'd edit that edit. Sweeney was the one who didn't do anything in the offseason to address the top 6 issue (or 3C), and thus forced the coach to try every kid and every vet he had in that spot. And is still doing so. Surely we all know Backes isn't a top 6 forward, but not sure Cassidy has many options.

*Said again.*

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
There were multiple comments by Cassidy, seemed to focus on his quickness and pace of his game rather than straight away speed. My main issue with Cehlarik is his habit of turning over pucks in very dangerous areas. He’s improved on that a bit this year. Has earned a chance with his overall play.
If that's the case he should fit in perfectly with Pasta and Krejci.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Moore sitting 3 straight healthy is a crime and Backes at that price should be least on 4th line.

Moore has played well enough to be at least a 3rd pairing option on most teams but Backes really hasn’t done well enough to play at all. While he has been on the fourth line for the majority of the season he still is getting 2:03 of power play time per game and only has 12 points to show for it.

Backes is just done. Plain and simple. Moore is fine but terrible asset management by Sweeney to sign Moore when we inevitably knew he would have to sit when chara, krug and gryz were all healthy on the left side.

Signing Moore, Wagner and Nordstrom to multi year deals while not bringing in a 2nd line RW or a 3rd line center was a major mistake.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Moore has played well enough to be at least a 3rd pairing option on most teams but Backes really hasn’t done well enough to play at all. While he has been on the fourth line for the majority of the season he still is getting 2:03 of power play time per game and only has 12 points to show for it.

Backes is just done. Plain and simple. Moore is fine but terrible asset management by Sweeney to sign Moore when we inevitably knew he would have to sit when chara, krug and gryz were all healthy on the left side.

Signing Moore, Wagner and Nordstrom to multi year deals while not bringing in a 2nd line RW or a 3rd line center was a major mistake.

Your post is a homerun.Another Sweeney blunder.Its getting old fast.And we have to trust this guy to add that winger and centre now without getting robbed.Scary

Reactions: UncleRico

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Signing those guys to multi year deals this offseason has ZERO to do with them not getting a top 6 winger. They’re not being killed by the cap.

Also if you’re gonna kill Sweeney for those minor deals without pointing out that he got two of our top three players signed DRASTICALLY under market then I don’t know what to tell you

They still have time to make a top 6 addition. I’d argue it was smart to see if Heinen/Donato/Bjork could fill it without relying on giving up assets. Heinen almost had 50 points last year as a rookie.

Now it’s clear he needs the help- if he doesn’t go get it then it’s fair to criticize. But let’s chill with the MMQB

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The Backes deal is a complete bafoon move though.

Sure, welcome to pretty much every significant players UFA contract.

Also can’t predict his shitty injury luck since he’s gotten here but sure. Bad contract. Everybody knows it. Saying it over and over again doesn’t change things unfortunately (not a dig at you, it’s just the only thing that gets brought up when we talk about Backes)

I think he ultimately settles in on the 4th line. Can’t break them up now though. I just think he’s better at hockey than Acciari, plain and simple. While clearly in decline he still brings wayyy more offense and is still a positionally sound defender who goes to the dirty areas and grinds.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
it's a good **** or get off the pot moment for cehlarik. if he's as good as everyone believes, he'll stick and be
a top 9 guy for years. or convince another team that he's worth it in a deal. if he doesn't deliver, he'll end
up back in providence, then with another team here or in europe.

lots of stones to sit backes, even more stones if they sit him tomorrow vs the blues.
Betting he plays tomorrow, there are about five forwards playing below his level tonight, easy decision.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
It is no secret the Bruins and Blues are talking a major trade and I have to wonder if Sweeney is trying to send Backes back to St Louis but willing to pay the bulk of the remaining contract.
The easiest time to move Backes is probably in July after his bonus for 19-20 is paid, his cap hit is 6/6 but the actual dollars would be 1/4, or 1/2/1 if they buy out the final year. I think.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->