The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: Hiding David Backes: Bruins may not be able to shelter their right wing much longer

Geordie Bruin

Dec 27, 2018
Newcastle
I’ve always liked Backes, he’s one of the good guys and been an absolute warrior over the years but there’s lot of hard miles on his clock. He’s been through a hell of lot in the last year alone and it’s all caught up with him.

Its not pretty watching him struggle in today’s NHL and it must be tough for him knowing he can’t be a force out there anymore. Change of scenery might be good for him but it’s going to be difficult to move that contract.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
They are doing the right thing for the team. Will be interesting to see if Backes is part of any trade that could be happening sometime this week.

Reactions: gillesgilbert

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He was last time we saw him, but still faster than Backes, and faster than Noel Acciari too. We'll see how it goes :dunno:

I’m not sure where this idea that Acciari is slow is coming from? He doesn’t always take the best angles which may make him appear slower, but he’s fast enough to get in on the forecheck.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Black sheep?

That’s not Backes MO. If anything, it’s rhe opposite. He’s supposed to be a great guy in the room.

I don't mean locker room/attitude problems

Because of Backes and his salary .... Cassidy has to put him somewhere in the lineup mentality

when he was out due to injury/suspension

When he returned he bumped guys off the 3rd line/4th line

but then those line lost chemistry

Its good to see Cassidy not forcing a guarantee a place in the lineup due to 6 million dollar salary/vet experience or even the A on his shirt

He could have easily benched JFK/Donato or Acciari. But he didn't.... and it was the right call

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I’ve always liked Backes, he’s one of the good guys and been an absolute warrior over the years but there’s lot of hard miles on his clock. He’s been through a hell of lot in the last year alone and it’s all caught up with him.

Its not pretty watching him struggle in today’s NHL and it must be tough for him knowing he can’t be a force out there anymore. Change of scenery might be good for him but it’s going to be difficult to move that contract.

Poor multi-millionaire DB, gone through "hell"...hmmm I'll wager that we, long-suffering fans who've had to suffer through the team's mediocrity, largely visited upon it by the horrible acquisition by DS of both him and Belesky, have been forced to endured much more collective distress, frustration, and discontent.

True, it's not his fault. This is squarely on DS. Can't imagine any team even remotely interested in touching his contract.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Poor multi-millionaire DB, gone through "hell"...hmmm I'll wager that we, long-suffering fans who've had to suffer through the team's mediocrity, largely visited upon it by the horrible acquisition by DS of both him and Belesky, have been forced to endured much more collective distress, frustration, and discontent.

True, it's not his fault. This is squarely on DS. Can't imagine any team even remotely interested in touching his contract.

We long suffering fans?

2011 was not THAT long ago. Try waiting from 1972 until 2011.

Reactions: WJCJ and BMC

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I’m not sure where this idea that Acciari is slow is coming from? He doesn’t always take the best angles which may make him appear slower, but he’s fast enough to get in on the forecheck.

I think he looks better in center, maybe because he can take a shorter route to the puck if it gets dumped in from the wing? It could be deceiving to watch, but he looks slow to me. He isn't leaving anyone behind on a breakaway, we know that much :laugh: It doesn't make him ineffective necessarily, but he is not one of the speedier guys on the team.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Good for Cassidy for having the stones to sit him, this signing and the Beleskey signing were absolute disasters from Sweeney, from the moment the ink dried honestly. He's a 4th liner at best and the Bruins should consider buying him out this offseason (or packaging him with a high pick or prospect to unload him at 50%
Donny has to do a better job on his signings and I think he has turn the corner with Wagner Nordstrom and Moore signings that was magical. Backes needs to be traded for another bad contract. Wish we can flip him for loui Eriksson. That might work ?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
as of last game Sweeney still wasn't aware of this breaking news.

edit. Cassidy

I'd edit that edit. Sweeney was the one who didn't do anything in the offseason to address the top 6 issue (or 3C), and thus forced the coach to try every kid and every vet he had in that spot. And is still doing so. Surely we all know Backes isn't a top 6 forward, but not sure Cassidy has many options.

Reactions: GordonHowe

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Backes can still be an asset in the bottom 6. He is a better player than Acciari, but I guess Cassidy is rewarding Noel for the success that line has had lately.

Reactions: BBruins

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I'd edit that edit. Sweeney was the one who didn't do anything in the offseason to address the top 6 issue (or 3C), and thus forced the coach to try every kid and every vet he had in that spot. And is still doing so. Surely we all know Backes isn't a top 6 forward, but not sure Cassidy has many options.

somewhat disagree that its not also on Cassidy. I will point to our own previous Coach Julien who sat over paid/underperforming Karl Alzner at the start of the year. Who would have thought an old dinosaur like Claude would sit a vet. I think a coach needs to play the best available, when you say the team is run based on meritocracy yet don't give Cehlerik and Senyshen amongst others some kind of a chance and continue to try and plug in Backes well that's on the coach in my opinion.

that being said, I agree that Sweeney perhaps put to much into hoping his second year players and potentially rookies could grow.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Backes over Acciari is an upgrade. Otherwise he doesn't really fit and I cringe when there is a scrum because one punch can end his career/health.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I don't see either as 2nd line wingers, but I know Backes can be counted on to compete and be in the right spot. Cehlarik is slow as well. Hoping for the best, and expect an initial jolt but don't see it long term. To me it's almost like they are out of ideas and Cehlarik is what, tenth on the totem pole to be in that spot. Smart move though because after this season he needs to clear waivers so see if you have something.
Cehlarik is not slow as Fluto pointed out. He may not be a Senyshyn on skates but he can move a lot faster than Backes. Watch him tonight and tomorrow and I think you will agree.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
somewhat disagree that its not also on Cassidy. I will point to our own previous Coach Julien who sat over paid/underperforming Karl Alzner at the start of the year. Who would have thought an old dinosaur like Claude would sit a vet. I think a coach needs to play the best available, when you say the team is run based on meritocracy yet don't give Cehlerik and Senyshen amongst others some kind of a chance and continue to try and plug in Backes well that's on the coach in my opinion.

that being said, I agree that Sweeney perhaps put to much into hoping his second year players and potentially rookies could grow.

If DKH reads this he's gonna fall out of his chair, but I think we are being overly critical of Backes here.

You won't find many folks who were more critical of that signing by Sweeney, and clearly Backes hasn't been anywhere near a $6M player here, but is he really the one who comes to mind first when calling this a meritocracy? Some nights he's been the worst on the ice, sure, but not that many IMO. I look at guys like Acciari, Donato, JFK, Cave, Heinen, etc. as guys who've frequently passed the baton for worst player on the ice on a given night. And while I argue all the time that Backes wasn't worth his salary and the "leadership" argument is overrated, give me a great bench guy who does very little on the ice over a new guy who does very little any day of the week.

If the argument is that you want to see more kids over him, fine. I can live with that. But I don't think a "meritocracy" means he's the healthy scratch very often.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
This is the correct move, he has become a turnover machine and is just too slow. Perhaps he can still play on the 4th line, time will tell.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Cehlarik is not slow as Fluto pointed out. He may not be a Senyshyn on skates but he can move a lot faster than Backes. Watch him tonight and tomorrow and I think you will agree.

Was there not a comment made by Cassidy in preseason about his foot speed? I could be wrong or thinking of another player. Hope it doesn't hold him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->