The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: Hiding David Backes: Bruins may not be able to shelter their right wing much longer

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
There was a reason St. Louis let their captain walk away without a fight.

Hiding David Backes: Bruins may not be able to shelter their...

upload_2019-1-16_7-53-36.png

upload_2019-1-16_7-54-51.png

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Backes at this point in his career wasn't a top 6 option anyway. And I like David.

But I'm also trying to not get my hopes up too high about Celharik being back. It may change nothing...or maybe it works and we'll happy?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
True, but he also wasn't worth four years in hindsight either.

As for Backes, even at his "condition" now I don't see Cehlarik being his equal in the NHL right now.

I like Backes, always have, but I can't believe Cehlarik isn't an improvement on the second line at least in terms of ability to skate with Krejci and JDB and keep up with play. The rest of it, well, Cehlarik is young and improving. He may or may not turn out to be anything, but Backes at this point in his career is way out of his depth on the top 6, maybe even, sad to say it, top 9.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I like Backes, always have, but I can't believe Cehlarik isn't an improvement on the second line at least in terms of ability to skate with Krejci and JDB and keep up with play. The rest of it, well, Cehlarik is young and improving. He may or may not turn out to be anything, but Backes at this point in his career is way out of his depth on the top 6, maybe even, sad to say it, top 9.

I don't see either as 2nd line wingers, but I know Backes can be counted on to compete and be in the right spot. Cehlarik is slow as well. Hoping for the best, and expect an initial jolt but don't see it long term. To me it's almost like they are out of ideas and Cehlarik is what, tenth on the totem pole to be in that spot. Smart move though because after this season he needs to clear waivers so see if you have something.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Putting Backes with Krejci is a disservice to everyone - especially Krejci and DeBrusk. The guy is a complete anchor there. He is slow as molasses and has zero offensive instincts anymore. I would so much rather Cehlarik play there. I don't even think he is going to be great or anything but he can at least keep up if nothing else. Already more than Backes can offer.

At this point Backes is a meat and potatoes bottom 6 guy - ideally 4th liner. I'm not going to harp on the contract: it's been done. We all know. It was a terrible contract the day it was signed. Oh well.

But trying to play this guy in the top 6 is not acceptable. This team has scoring issues as is. Just bury him in the bottom 6 or scratch him I don't really care it basically has the same result either way.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't see either as 2nd line wingers, but I know Backes can be counted on to compete and be in the right spot. Cehlarik is slow as well. Hoping for the best, and expect an initial jolt but don't see it long term. To me it's almost like they are out of ideas and Cehlarik is what, tenth on the totem pole to be in that spot. Smart move though because after this season he needs to clear waivers so see if you have something.

He was last time we saw him, but still faster than Backes, and faster than Noel Acciari too. We'll see how it goes :dunno:

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
What are the odds he somehow gets moved as a salary dump on or before the deadline? Or do they suck it up till the offseason? I would think the latter because of the prices at the deadline compared to the offseason.

I can’t imagine he’s on the roster at the start of next season though. Even with the decrease in cap hit.

I feel for the guy. He’s a warrior

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Better than Backes

But you maybe right

We will see how much Celly has improved since the last time

Reactions: Dr Hook

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
What are the odds he somehow gets moved as a salary dump on or before the deadline? Or do they suck it up till the offseason? I would think the latter because of the prices at the deadline compared to the offseason.

I can’t imagine he’s on the roster at the start of next season though. Even with the decrease in cap hit.

I feel for the guy. He’s a warrior

Yeah... guessing a buyout?

Backes has been all over the lineup and could be black sheep causing chemistry issues etc

Leave the 3rd and 4th line alone. This was the right move....finally

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Yeah... guessing a buyout?

Backes has been all over the lineup and could be black sheep causing chemistry issues etc

Leave the 3rd and 4th line alone. This was the right move....finally

No use buying him out, cap hit in year four would be 5.67 mil, then 3.7 year 5 and then two years at .667

Would only cost them 2.67 mil over all though real money so you never know.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Good for Cassidy for having the stones to sit him, this signing and the Beleskey signing were absolute disasters from Sweeney, from the moment the ink dried honestly. He's a 4th liner at best and the Bruins should consider buying him out this offseason (or packaging him with a high pick or prospect to unload him at 50% retained).

Reactions: rocketdan9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
No use buying him out, cap hit in year four would be 5.67 mil, then 3.7 year 5 and then two years at .667

Would only cost them 2.67 mil over all though real money so you never know.

True

If Backes rides the bench for a long period of time...he may request a way out

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Good for Cassidy for having the stones to sit him, this signing and the Beleskey signing were absolute disasters from Sweeney, from the moment the ink dried honestly. He's a 4th liner at best and the Bruins should consider buying him out this offseason (or packaging him with a high pick or prospect to unload him at 50% retained).

Backes is a fringe 4th liner actually

He just doesnt have the "youth" or energy that even Acciari brings

Backes was a pain in the butt, finished heavy checks, chipped in dirty goal when he first joined

Its too bad due to poor health and increase speed of game that hurt his game by alot

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
Agree with a lot of what was written here but one thing to remember is that he was playing much better just prior to his 3 game suspension.

With older, slower players (Backes, Chara), it does seem to take them longer to reacclimate to the pace of the game following any sort of prolonged absence off the ice. Hoping that that is the case here.

Reactions: TaroTsujimoto

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

it's a good shit or get off the pot moment for cehlarik. if he's as good as everyone believes, he'll stick and be
a top 9 guy for years. or convince another team that he's worth it in a deal. if he doesn't deliver, he'll end
up back in providence, then with another team here or in europe.

lots of stones to sit backes, even more stones if they sit him tomorrow vs the blues.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->