The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Benchings, meetings, dismissals: The inside story of the Bruins’ midseason revival

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Sweeney came out of the gates really poorly. -Didn’t get enough for Dougie, the threat was offer sheet, so he traded Dougie for less than an offer sheet would have returned..hmmm
-Executed the Lucic deal masterfully(including Jones) but then botched it days later by giving Backes what Lucic would have gotten here.
-Didn’t pull the trigger on Tuukka
-The 2015 1st round was a mess because a trade fell through and they seemingly didn’t have a plan. (The rumor that we picked Senyshyn because another team wanted him is grade A rookie mistake stuff)
-Rinaldo, Beleskey, Hayes
-not dealing Eriksson just a year after the B’s messed up not dealing Soderberg
-adding at the 2016 deadline(cost us a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th)

But Sweeney has really come into his own. Really really come into his own, and has executed wonderfully the last couple of years. He deserved GM of the year last year no doubt.

Cassidy, well, reading these boards I expected him to be the devil reincarnated but he’s been incredible getting the best out of these groups since he took the bench. I’m unsurprised to hear these stories...he deserves all the praise he gets.

The offer sheet comp for Dougie would have been 2016 picks. Probably would have been best to match, but if you arent going to do that, better to take the immediate 2015 picks (remember, he was starting a retool right then) in what was thought at the time to be a really good draft class.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I agree with the sentiment of this article, but slightly disagree with grouping Kampfer with Backes and Ritchie as being part of the problem.

The other 2 underperformed tremendously compared to expectations, and Backes at a high price.

Kampfer is a 7th defensemen at best, only used in case of injury or someone higher on the depth chart needing a wake up call.

In that role he performed admirably.

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad