The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Benchings, meetings, dismissals: The inside story of the Bruins’ midseason revival

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Feb. 24 trade deadline is approaching. Sweeney’s primary target is a No. 2 right wing. He would like depth at forward and defense.

It might be, however, that the six internal transactions Sweeney executed in January have a greater influence than any acquisition. This is team-building in the cap era.

Fluto cites these 6 moves

By moving Backes, Ritchie and Kampfer out and bringing in Kuhlman, Blidh and Lauzon, Sweeney gave Cassidy the tools he needed.

For Matt Grzelcyk, it would have been uncomfortable enough to sit in front of a laptop, with Bruce Cassidy at his side, to review the sluggish feet, passive play and hiccuping breakouts that had burrowed into his game.

What made it worse was when these shortcomings were broadcast for all of Grzelcyk’s teammates to watch.

“When you get called out like that in video in front of the team,” Grzelcyk said, “you want to respond.”

The session occurred when Grzelcyk’s performance mimicked that of the team. When they gathered at Warrior Ice Arena on Jan. 16 prior to a home game against Pittsburgh, the Bruins were stuck in a 7-6-7 stumble.

Grzelcyk was coming off a healthy scratch in a 3-0 loss to the Blue Jackets. Tuukka Rask was suffering from headaches and severe motion sickness, the consequences of an Emil Bemstrom sideswipe in Columbus. The Bruins could not answer Bemstrom’s blow or make life otherwise difficult on the Blue Jackets.

Grzelcyk’s scratch and the open-doors critique were two indications that the bosses were not messing around. It didn’t matter that the Bruins were six points clear of Tampa. They didn’t care that postseason qualification was all but guaranteed.

Change was coming.

“Was I losing sleep at night? No,” Bruce Cassidy said. “I had confidence that guys in the room would get it corrected. But you just don’t know in this business. It happens. It can happen quick. It’s sometimes tough to correct.”

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Cassidy definitely stepped up here and I’m guessing this was right about the time when Laviolette and Gallant got canned and we were all wondering if a change was due...

It was a bit of an eye-opener for me. I get as down on him as anyone for some of the apparent head-scratchers he comes up with, but after reading this, and some other things over his time here, I am starting to believe he has a really good sense of which players need what kind of treatment to get the best out of them.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
It was a bit of an eye-opener for me. I get as down on him as anyone for some of the apparent head-scratchers he comes up with, but after reading this, and some other things over his time here, I am starting to believe he has a really good sense of which players need what kind of treatment to get the best out of them.

What you posted in the Heinen thread shows he’s a guy who is absolutely in charge and knows how to push the right buttons

Reactions: Dr Hook

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Cassidy definitely stepped up here and I’m guessing this was right about the time when Laviolette and Gallant got canned and we were all wondering if a change was due...

I'm pretty certain the dreaded SCF hangover hit them as well.

The real challenge will be in April as Tampa and Washington both have six fewer weeks of wear and tear on them.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Fine with it.I was pissed though at the perceived favortism to vets till he scratched Bergeron off the powerplay after the disallowed goal vs Wings.Then I knew he was playing no favs and I respect that.Heck the team should respect that.Doing good job.

Reactions: Dr Hook

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

The real challenge will be in April as Tampa and Washington both have six fewer weeks of wear and tear on them.

More reason to add some help.Give the boys a boost and let them know you believe in them

Reactions: Strafer

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I think Don Sweeney is f***ing terrible and Bruce Cassidy is f***ing amazing. we have a good coach that is doing his best with the pathetic drafting (2015) and complete inability to plug holes through free agency. Anybody that thinks Cassidy is anything but heroic doesn’t understand the game in my opinion.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I think Don Sweeney is ****ing terrible and Bruce Cassidy is ****ing amazing. we have a good coach that is doing his best with the pathetic drafting (2015) and complete inability to plug holes through free agency. Anybody that thinks Cassidy is anything but heroic doesn’t understand the game in my opinion.
Sweeney's not a top GM but he's also not terrible. He's drafted decently aside from 2015 first round (how about his 2015 2nd round btw??), and free agency is a crap shoot. True, impact players generally don't make it to free agency. Tarvares is the only one recently, and Sweeney did everything he could to get him, the dude just wanted to go to Toronto. I'm confident in Sweeney's GMing, I don't see many other GMs doing any better.

Reactions: bme44

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Sweeney's not a top GM but he's also not terrible. He's drafted decently aside from 2015 first round (how about his 2015 2nd round btw??), and free agency is a crap shoot. True, impact players generally don't make it to free agency. Tarvares is the only one recently, and Sweeney did everything he could to get him, the dude just wanted to go to Toronto. I'm confident in Sweeney's GMing, I don't see many other GMs doing any better.

In what way is Sweeney not a top GM?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

This is why, as important as a second line RW is, I’d almost rather see a Peverley type who can play center and wing rather than a sniper.

The versatility will be key as they’re long in the tooth up front with Bergeron and Krejci being leaned on heavily.

Anything that can be done to spell those two or, God forbid, slot in in the event of injury is immensely valuable.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
In a cap league, you’re going to have holes.

It’s just the way it is.

All things considered, it could be much worse.

As the old saying goes, the grass ain’t greener.

The dead spots of grass on our own lawn are more glaring than the other lawns in the neighborhood because we know this one the best.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
I think Don Sweeney is ****ing terrible and Bruce Cassidy is ****ing amazing. we have a good coach that is doing his best with the pathetic drafting (2015) and complete inability to plug holes through free agency. Anybody that thinks Cassidy is anything but heroic doesn’t understand the game in my opinion.

Dont know how Sweeney can be terrible with the extensions he gave out to his to players. Not even in the ballpark of that. He has his fair share of mistakes like every gm does but he surely isnt one in the league you have to be embaressed about.

Reactions: Chief Nine

member 96824

In a cap league, you’re going to have holes.

It’s just the way it is.

All things considered, it could be much worse.

As the old saying goes, the grass ain’t greener.

The dead spots of grass on our own lawn are more glaring than the other lawns in the neighborhood because we know this one the best.

Our lawn just happens to be the greenest of all the lawns in the 31 house neighborhood too:)

member 96824

Sweeney came out of the gates really poorly. -Didn’t get enough for Dougie, the threat was offer sheet, so he traded Dougie for less than an offer sheet would have returned..hmmm
-Executed the Lucic deal masterfully(including Jones) but then botched it days later by giving Backes what Lucic would have gotten here.
-Didn’t pull the trigger on Tuukka
-The 2015 1st round was a mess because a trade fell through and they seemingly didn’t have a plan. (The rumor that we picked Senyshyn because another team wanted him is grade A rookie mistake stuff)
-Rinaldo, Beleskey, Hayes
-not dealing Eriksson just a year after the B’s messed up not dealing Soderberg
-adding at the 2016 deadline(cost us a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th)

But Sweeney has really come into his own. Really really come into his own, and has executed wonderfully the last couple of years. He deserved GM of the year last year no doubt.

Cassidy, well, reading these boards I expected him to be the devil reincarnated but he’s been incredible getting the best out of these groups since he took the bench. I’m unsurprised to hear these stories...he deserves all the praise he gets.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Sweeney came out of the gates really poorly. -Didn’t get enough for Dougie, the threat was offer sheet, so he traded Dougie for less than an offer sheet would have returned..hmmm
-Executed the Lucic deal masterfully(including Jones) but then botched it days later by giving Backes what Lucic would have gotten here.
-Didn’t pull the trigger on Tuukka
-The 2015 1st round was a mess because a trade fell through and they seemingly didn’t have a plan. (The rumor that we picked Senyshyn because another team wanted him is grade A rookie mistake stuff)
-Rinaldo, Beleskey, Hayes
-not dealing Eriksson just a year after the B’s messed up not dealing Soderberg
-adding at the 2016 deadline(cost us a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th)

But Sweeney has really come into his own. Really really come into his own, and has executed wonderfully the last couple of years. He deserved GM of the year last year no doubt.

Cassidy, well, reading these boards I expected him to be the devil reincarnated but he’s been incredible getting the best out of these groups since he took the bench. I’m unsurprised to hear these stories...he deserves all the praise he gets.
IIRC he got more than an offer sheet would have returned for Dougie. Given Dougie's cap hit, I think it would have been a 1,2,3 set of picks from Calgary if they'd offer-sheeted him, and Sweeney got a 1st and two 2nds. In that sense he did OK in the Dougie deal, but ideally he'd have gotten immediate help instead.

I think a lot of his mistakes right after he became GM can be chalked up to the entire organization believing the team was closer to competing again than they really were. I think if they'd know then were a couple years out they'd have done things differently (especially the Backes & Beleskey deals)

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

This is quite possibly the worst post I've ever seen on here. Sweens has slowly become one of the most respected GMs in the game. Big time overreaction. Look at all teams across the league the last 6-7 years and show me a team that aced every draft and every pick. I'll save you the time. You won't.

Your bang on with Cassidy, he deserves credit and is a great coach, but dead wrong on Sweeney.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

member 96824

IIRC he got more than an offer sheet would have returned for Dougie. Given Dougie's cap hit, I think it would have been a 1,2,3 set of picks from Calgary if they'd offer-sheeted him, and Sweeney got a 1st and two 2nds. In that sense he did OK in the Dougie deal, but ideally he'd have gotten immediate help instead.

I think a lot of his mistakes right after he became GM can be chalked up to the entire organization believing the team was closer to competing again than they really were. I think if they'd know then were a couple years out they'd have done things differently (especially the Backes & Beleskey deals)

The frustrating part was we all saw the team was what it was and were screaming pack it in. Oh well, can’t change the past, just can learn from it and it looks like Donny has done just that.

I also think a certain someone has stopped muddling in affairs so much

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014

This is fascinating and confusing, but most of all it's just absurd.

Terrible GM's don't run teams that sit atop the standings and go to cup finals, no matter how good the coach is. Absolute garbage statement with no base in reality.

Say you don't like his style, his team build or his teams persona...but "****ing terrible" only describes your hot take.

Reactions: Chief Nine

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
5 ****** years without a second line RW is a pretty good place to start. Small soft team. Poor free agent evaluations. He isnt terrible but he is a long, long way from being a "top" GM
Even Fenian, who has trouble being objective about soft teams, can admit he is not terrible...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad