The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: ‘A tough deal to do:’ Charlie McAvoy’s next contract could be for big money

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Makes me really wonder about the Stone trade validity. Ifnhenis going to trade for him, I assume they sign him. Leaving less for Carlo McAvoy Debust etc. Tricky navigation..

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Do 2-3 year bridge for $4-$5 million and then give him a pay day when guys like Chara/Krejci/Backes/Rask are potentially coming off the books.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Matt Dumba to me is a good comparable.

Coming off a 50 pt. season logging 24 mins. a night, this past summer Dumba signed his 3rd contract after his ELC and 2-year bridge deal for 5 years at 6 million per which also bought a few UFA years.

So does McAvoy, coming off his ELC contract on a lesser year, warrant more than Dumba? I don't think so.

Agreed. To go 7 or 8 this early is insane.

Reactions: BruinDust

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Whatever happens he will get paid. They have to find a way to get rid of Backes over the summer to make room for Mac's increase.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Do 2-3 year bridge for $4-$5 million and then give him a pay day when guys like Chara/Krejci/Backes/Rask are potentially coming off the books.

I think this makes the most sense. Can't see Bruins wanting to go long term at the money McAvoy probably thinks he deserves, just because of the injuries. And McAvoy seems like he would be confident taking the two years and having a monster year like Subban did. Especially if Krug is no longer on the team by then and he is getting more powerplay time.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
The Florida front office (and their brief less than a year analytical management team led by Tom Rowe) gave Ekblad the albatross contract that was ridiculed by the rest of the league. Chiarelli is the only one who would start out at $7m per for McAvoy and he is never getting another GM job. We have seen the flashes for sure. But start with Seth Jones etc. in the $5m+ range and take it from there.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State
If they turned down a long term deal id guess it was probably 8x6ish he wants the ekblad contract bad

If I'm his agent I recommend 6x5.5 or 6x6, Charlie knows hes getting Doughty money when its done (or whatever stupid contracts they hand out at that time). And assuming he can be a healthy contributor I don't see a world hes not worth it.

When would his UFA start, in 4 years? You need to protect yourself as a team and buy into some of those...

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Exactly. This is how you build and maintain a winner.

Now I will say, if McAvoy didn't have as many injuries and was healthy...I probably have a different tune. Then again he's probably putting up better numbers. What could throw a wrench in things is how McAvoy does the rest of the season + playoffs. He's starting to heat up again with 5pt in his last 6gp, while averaging 22 minutes a night. Even with his injuries start to his career his P/GP put him at a 42pt player over 82 games. Since the start of last year (first full year), Charlie ranks 32nd among NHL d-men win P/GP.

IDK maybe if your Boston you say screw it and give him an 8yr/$7 million deal and hope he stays healthy and his contract because great value in 2-3 years. An 8yr deal puts McAvoy at 29yr old, so you'd be buying 2 years of his UFA.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Now I will say, if McAvoy didn't have as many injuries and was healthy...I probably have a different tune. Then again he's probably putting up better numbers. What could throw a wrench in things is how McAvoy does the rest of the season + playoffs. He's starting to heat up again with 5pt in his last 6gp, while averaging 22 minutes a night. Even with his injuries start to his career his P/GP put him at a 42pt player over 82 games. Since the start of last year (first full year), Charlie ranks 32nd among NHL d-men win P/GP.

IDK maybe if your Boston you say screw it and give him an 8yr/$7 million deal and hope he stays healthy and his contract because great value in 2-3 years. An 8yr deal puts McAvoy at 29yr old, so you'd be buying 2 years of his UFA.

I honestly don't think I will ever look at mac and say 7 mil per is great value unless he really becomes the sum of his parts and then some.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I can’t believe the amount of people that think this kid is worth anything over 3 million. He hasn’t been the Norris trophy D that people here want him to desperately be. He’s been hurt and had medical issues. His play has suffered tremendously because of it. He should’ve been sitting quite a few times this year due to bad play. I see him getting burned all the time. He isn’t great yet people. He’s going to get a bridge and anything past 3 mil is over payment. Same thing was being mentioned with Pasta.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I honestly don't think I will ever look at mac and say 7 mil per is great value unless he really becomes the sum of his parts and then some.

Players that McAvoy has a better P/GP than since going full time last year

OEL got $8.25 million a year
Trouba got $5.5 million a year
Hamilton got $5.75 million a year
Schmidtt got $5.95 million a year

These are just a few guys. Now is G/GP the end all be all? no, but in today's NHL is pretty important to get scoring from the backend and it's not like McAvoy is a scrub defensively. I mean $6 million doesn't seem like it's out of the question based on some of these guys above. What's another $1 million to lock the guy up for say 8 years. Even if he stays at a 20+ minute d-man with 40+ point production, $7 million is a pretty fair number.

Reactions: LouJersey

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I can’t believe the amount of people that think this kid is worth anything over 3 million. He hasn’t been the Norris trophy D that people here want him to desperately be. He’s been hurt and had medical issues. His play has suffered tremendously because of it. He should’ve been sitting quite a few times this year due to bad play. I see him getting burned all the time. He isn’t great yet people. He’s going to get a bridge and anything past 3 mil is over payment. Same thing was being mentioned with Pasta.

With Pasta talk was $8 million and he signed for nearly $7 million. McAvoy will get more than $3 million, I mean Carlo will get $3 million at minimum.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The guy is tough to peg. For the past two weeks he's looked like an all-star but for the rest of the season he has been really mediocre, to the point where I was thinking Gryz was better. I'll peg it at somewhere around $5m but you need to put together a full season to get anything higher ... but who knows with the way the NHL is going.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Free agency is 27 years old or 7 seasons. An 8 year deal would buy 4 years of free agency.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Free agency is 27 years old or 7 seasons. An 8 year deal would buy 4 years of free agency.

Actually I think were both wrong, it's 3 years HAHA

I don't think his playoff time counts as a "year of service"

With that, he's got 2 years of service and 5 remaining before he hits UFA. 8 years deal leaves 3 years of UFA you're buying.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The guy is tough to peg. For the past two weeks he's looked like an all-star but for the rest of the season he has been really mediocre, to the point where I was thinking Gryz was better. I'll peg it at somewhere around $5m but you need to put together a full season to get anything higher ... but who knows with the way the NHL is going.

I think a lot of that meh feeling is just him trying to come back from injuries. I posted this in the McAvoy thread:

McAvoy's numbers on the year with injuries:

7GP - 1G / 5A

15 missed games - Concussion

10GP - 0G / 5A

7 missed games - Lower Body

10GP - 0G / 1A

Seems like he's really struggled to get going after returning from injuries. I have to wonder if he (like DeBrusk) is still not 100% from the concussion. Head injuries can be very very tricky.

Now since posting this in the McAvoy thread, he's gone off for 5pts in 6gp lol. I really have to think that his issue this year as been the start and stop playing due to injuries.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Maybe. But maybe you're committing too much to a guy who is just inconsistent and struggles with confidence. End of the day if you go out and pay guys based on their best two weeks of play, you're going to be in a cap problem in a hurry.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
This is going to drag out cause Bruins are going to dig their heels in .No way they are paying him more then Pastrnak.Spitballing here but i am guessing he is getting something like 6 × 5 when all said and done

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
There are reports out there that teams will try to offersheet Marner in the offseason. I'm worried other teams may try to do so as well with McAvoy.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
4 years isn't a solution - you don't walk the guy right into UFA. it's either 2-3 year "bridge" or long term.

I agree with you, and think it’s either a 2 year “bridge” deal, similar to Trouba’s in WPG, but more because the Cap has gone up...or a long term deal.

Two other things I disliked about the article:

1) Citing contracts to F’s like Matthews and Nylander as precedents.

2) Alluding to Krug not reporting to Camp on time as a potential “tactic”, but then saying Krug got a $1.4m deal. That really worked out well for him :laugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad