The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: ‘A tough deal to do:’ Charlie McAvoy’s next contract could be for big money

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As we approach the deadline next week, Sweeney also has to factor in how much Charlie will be making starting next season. This is going to be tricky.

‘A tough deal to do:’ Charlie McAvoy’s next contract...

upload_2019-2-19_20-25-40.png

upload_2019-2-19_20-27-5.png

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
4 years isn't a solution - you don't walk the guy right into UFA. it's either 2-3 year "bridge" or long term.

Isn’t it 27 or 7 years to be UFA? Even though 1st year was burned off entry level from playoff run, does it count towards the 7 in UFA

Believe you have to play 10 games as a 18 or 19 year old for it to count as a year of experience towards your UFA. Didn’t Charlie jump in at playoffs for one round against Ottawa?

This would make 4 year deal possible and still
be RFA. To me a 4 year deal makes most sense if this is the case.

Last edited:

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Give him
2x5

I’d like to see him play a full season...and see if it’s been bad luck or if he is prone to injury ...and I’d like to see more consistency before I’m handing out 8 year deals

He would be 23 at the end of the bridge contract and if he proves he’s the man I’ll gladly give him a blank check and have him be the face of our D for the next 10 years

Reactions: HuskyBruinPride

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The situation with McAvoy is scary because it feels like he’s going to get a reputation contract. As of right now, can anyone really argue he has proven he deserves a long-term, big money deal?

I certainly want him hanging around, but I don’t want to make a mistake there. I trust him and the FO are both going to respect the process and get it done. I know that we are rich with defensive young players right now and that it’s something that should not be taken for granted. But there is certainly a “too far” with this type of situation. Last thing I want to become is the Leafs will all these guys “earning” big money contracts which doesn’t actually amount to the elite team that everyone imagines.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
The situation with McAvoy is scary because it feels like he’s going to get a reputation contract. As of right now, can anyone really argue he has proven he deserves a long-term, big money deal?

I certainly want him hanging around, but I don’t want to make a mistake there. I trust him and the FO are both going to respect the process and get it done. I know that we are rich with defensive young players right now and that it’s something that should not be taken for granted. But there is certainly a “too far” with this type of situation. Last thing I want to become is the Leafs will all these guys “earning” big money contracts which doesn’t actually amount to the elite team that everyone imagines.

McAvoy has had his fair share of setbacks but the sky is the limit with his God-given talent.

Although I understand your concerns, Charlie is gonna be an elite player in this league and we need him to be wearing the spoked B for many years.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don't trust our organization to not do something dumb here apart from Backes they haven't been to willing to pay market value. McAvoy might have to miss time to get over 7 mil per.

If he isn't taking a discount I don't see why it has to be that long. Let him earn the next. 4 years 30 mil won't be the end of the world. I just hope we move on from Chara and don't give him another year at big money.

Games changed if we just gave him his ask last offseason we'd have saved a bundle. I don't think hes that good yet but I am pretty sure he will be by year 2 or 3 of this deal.

Signing Carlo last summer would have been smart too but our GM sucks.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Holy shit people are saying 7 mil per? 8 per? Really?

I think I'd rather bridge. Might bite us in the ass but I'm not 100% sold on him being an 7 mil per dman. I think he has 100% potential but oof. Idk if I want to commit that much right now. If over the next two year he becomes what I think he can be I'll give him 10 mil a year - happily.

Maybe I'm just skeptical...everyone else in here seems okay with a big number so might just be me.

Reactions: b in vancouver

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Missed a quarter of last season. Will have missed more than that this season. His health issues are not exactly minor, and he has already had several in less than two seasons. He has had some great games this season, and some stinkers. No way in hell I would throw big money at him on a long-term deal. Sure, he looks like he may very well be a stud d-man, but by the same token we don't have much idea what his ceiling is since he has missed a lot of games in both his seasons, and has not been consistently great in the time he has been healthy. Hopefully Don and Charlie can come to a reasonable agreement and he can prove he's a stud, then get paid when the time comes. Makes no sense to lock him in at big bucks at a significant term at this point. A bridge deal is what I would pursue if I were Sweeney.

Reactions: chizzler

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Carlo really has not been the better player and I like Carlo a whole lot.
I disagree. Charlie has had some better moments, but Carlo to me has been more consistent and overall collectively better. Just hope he don’t get hurt before playoffs.

Had Charlie been healthy may be a different story.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
McAvoy seems slightly underrated now I think, he plays the highest amount of minutes per game on the team and we're a top 5 team in the league, he is also good for around 0.5 points per game without any PP1 time, and this is only his second full season, there's no reason to assume he won't improve his production as well.

The injuries are no doubt concerning but he's so young that I feel like guys bounce back super quick at his age.

I'd be perfectly comfortable up around the 6.5-7 mark.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I think we all see the potential. But I don't feel he's 100% proven that he'll deliver it consistently. Yet. He's shown flashes of greatness, then some dubious play. Lately, he's been great. Just seems like he's still establishing what he is. Maybe he's just recently shaken off the post-concussion effects? Hard to know.

He may deserve $6/7/8 mill+ after the next few seasons, but I don't feel he should get that money right now. Maybe if the team goes on a deep playoff run this season, and he completely dominates and becomes a difference-maker throughout the playoffs?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Give him
2x5

I’d like to see him play a full season...and see if it’s been bad luck or if he is prone to injury ...and I’d like to see more consistency before I’m handing out 8 year deals

He would be 23 at the end of the bridge contract and if he proves he’s the man I’ll gladly give him a blank check and have him be the face of our D for the next 10 years

I would love to sign him for 8. But, in two years, Krejci, Backes and Rask all come off the cap. Lots of $$ to make the deal easier and a lot more security in knowing what Charlie is.

5 million might be high on only two year deal. He doesn’t even have arb rights for the first year.

Still...I hope for 8.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Market was set last year for these type players...5-6 years 5 mil per. You want to go 6 per be my guest but anything more is nuts at this point IMO.

Matt Dumba to me is a good comparable.

Coming off a 50 pt. season logging 24 mins. a night, this past summer Dumba signed his 3rd contract after his ELC and 2-year bridge deal for 5 years at 6 million per which also bought a few UFA years.

So does McAvoy, coming off his ELC contract on a lesser year, warrant more than Dumba? I don't think so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad