The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: ‘A tough deal to do:’ Charlie McAvoy’s next contract could be for big money

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
There are reports out there that teams will try to offersheet Marner in the offseason. I'm worried other teams may try to do so as well with McAvoy.

Marner could get targeted because (IMO) Toronto just doesn't have the cap space to keep everyone. Boston isn't in the same boat, nor is McAvoy the caliber of player Marner is (yet). Don't forget Marner is also Toronto's leading point getter right now in Toronto. Marner since joining the league in 2016, Marner ranks 21st in the entire NHL in points and he's had 60+ points every year of his career.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don`t know what number McAvoy`s contract will come in at but I don`t think he`ll be in the spot to command a price tag that breaks the bank. Would likely have been a different story had he not battled with some health and injury issues IMO

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I like him, but he is still riding a reputation. This can happen especially with big and talented defenseman. The prime example of this is Dion Phaneuf. A guy who has always been paid based on a #1 guy reputation, but has sort of been a disappointment everywhere he has gone given those expectations.

Reactions: BMC

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Young defensemen of similar talent to McAvoy have been getting 6.5%-7.5% of the cap with a 6 year contract. That's just been the going rate for several years now. With $83 million the projected cap max for next year, that means you could project him to get somewhere between $5.4 and $6.3 million per year for 6 years.

I wouldn't be against a bridge contract, but then you're looking at a worse cap hit on his next contract. I think you do it if you're really concerned about the injury history. You could also push the injury history as a reason to sign a long term deal at a lower cap hit to protect his financial future.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Defensemen are harder to place a value on than forwards.

You can look at a forward and assess the body of work based on the numbers.

Points, goals, plus/minus, advanced statistics and so on can draw parallels to other forwards.

With defensemen, sure you can look at offensive production, plus minus and time on ice, but there’s so much more to it than that.

All things being equal, a franchise defenseman is probably the most difficult asset to acquire in the NHL. Look at the struggles that the Bruins had on the blue line in the interim betweeen Bourque and Chara.

What might things have looked like had Z not fallen into their laps in ‘06?

Question is, what is Charlie now and what is his ceiling? Is he a top 15, franchise centerpiece defenseman?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Defensemen are harder to place a value on than forwards.

You can look at a forward and assess the body of work based on the numbers.

Points, goals, plus/minus, advanced statistics and so on can draw parallels to other forwards.

With defensemen, sure you can look at offensive production, plus minus and time on ice, but there’s so much more to it than that.

All things being equal, a franchise defenseman is probably the most difficult asset to acquire in the NHL. Look at the struggles that the Bruins had on the blue line in the interim betweeen Bourque and Chara.

What might things have looked like had Z not fallen into their laps in ‘06?

Question is, what is Charlie now and what is his ceiling? Is he a top 15, franchise centerpiece defenseman?
Is he a top franchise defenseman? No not right now. I know many want him to be. His rep doesn’t match his play. I hope it will in time. To give this kid anything close to what some want is crazy. 96 games played gets him 6mil? That’s nuts.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I'd be shocked if Charlie comes in under 6M.

The Bruins are the #1 team in goals against over the past 2 seasons and no player on the team plays as many minutes as he does and he's a +31 over that time frame, Carlo is close in TOI/game but McAvoy obviously scores about 3-4x more points in a season. Chara is having his minutes reduced this season and spread around so even more ice time for McAboy.

Guess we will see but I suspect this might be a long drawn out negotiation process.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
McAvoy is from NY and would bring a huge return if his salary demands are over the top. He has big time solid value as a trade chip.

Would fetch a top three forward in a package such as Taylor Hall.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Lauzon is not as good and doesn't play the right side so I don't see how he replaces McAvoy
Lauzon will be just as good by next year and we have JZ ready to step up on the right side.

I know the two mentioned here are not as good as CM but you're getting Taylor Hall in return!

Hall and JL or JZ are better than simply having McAvoy on the team.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Lauzon will be just as good by next year and we have JZ ready to step up on the right side.

I know the two mentioned here are not as good as CM but you're getting Taylor Hall in return!

Hall and JL or JZ are better than simply having McAvoy on the team.

JZ is a leftie also is he not?

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I always got the impression that they took TK and R.Smith aside when they bridged them and told them the plan.
If the Bruins land Stone, I could see them having that conversation w a couple of the kids. And it might behoove Charlie to take a 1-2 year deal now anyway, get the bigger payday w more games under his belt. .02

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
McAvoy is from NY and would bring a huge return if his salary demands are over the top. He has big time solid value as a trade chip.

Would fetch a top three forward in a package such as Taylor Hall.
Only way I'd remotely think of moving McAvoy would be returning a young #1 potential center.

And that's assuming we think we have RH defensemen in the system that we think are going to be able to step up. I don't think we do, but... I'm not moving McAvoy unless the offer seems stupid from the other perspective.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Only way I'd remotely think of moving McAvoy would be returning a young #1 potential center.

And that's assuming we think we have RH defensemen in the system that we think are going to be able to step up. I don't think we do, but... I'm not moving McAvoy unless the offer seems stupid from the other perspective.

Honest question- which do you think is harder to come by-a 1c or a 1d? I'd say the 1d, especially if we are talking about a legit 1d not just the best defenseman on a team. Charlie might be that guy. I'd be real hesitant to give up on that as I think finding a center might be easier.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Honest question- which do you think is harder to come by-a 1c or a 1d? I'd say the 1d, especially if we are talking about a legit 1d not just the best defenseman on a team. Charlie might be that guy. I'd be real hesitant to give up on that as I think finding a center might be easier.
I think a 1d is harder to find, but a 1c is probably the next on the list... I'm still not moving McAvoy, if it were up to me at least.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Isn’t it 27 or 7 years to be UFA? Even though 1st year was burned off entry level from playoff run, does it count towards the 7 in UFA

Believe you have to play 10 games as a 18 or 19 year old for it to count as a year of experience towards your UFA. Didn’t Charlie jump in at playoffs for one round against Ottawa?

This would make 4 year deal possible and still
be RFA. To me a 4 year deal makes most sense if this is the case.
Someone might already have answered this, but if not:

It's 27 (by June 30th, I believe) and 7 accrued seasons.

An accrued season is one where the player is on the NHL roster for 40 or more games (30 or more for a goalie).

So yes, McAvoy still has 5 seasons to go before becoming an UFA.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

1D by a landslide. 1Cs are plentiful in comparison.

The concern I have with McAvoy is his health- he's had a heart issue and it took a long time for him to truly recover from that concussion, IMO he's just coming out of the fog so to speak after spending the bulk of the season in it.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->