The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: ‘A tough deal to do:’ Charlie McAvoy’s next contract could be for big money

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Someone might already have answered this, but if not:

It's 27 (by June 30th, I believe) and 7 accrued seasons.

An accrued season is one where the player is on the NHL roster for 40 or more games (30 or more for a goalie).

So yes, McAvoy still has 5 seasons to go before becoming an UFA.

Believe for 18 & 19 year olds it’s 10 games, 20+ a season is 40 or more. Charlie played 6 NHL games his first season (playoffs) and 4 AHL games. So I’m not sure if AHL counts or not?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Believe for 18 & 19 year olds it’s 10 games, 20+ a season is 40 or more. Charlie played 6 NHL games his first season (playoffs) and 4 AHL games. So I’m not sure if AHL counts or not?
Article 1 of the 2013 CBA:

"Accrued Season" means any League Year during which a Player was on a
Club's Active Roster for 40 (30 if the Player is a goalie) or more Regular Season Games,
provided that, for the purposes of calculating an Accrued Season under this Agreement, games
missed due to a hockey-related injury incurred while on a Club's Active Roster shall count as
games played for purposes of calculating an Accrued Season but only during the League Year in
which the injury was incurred and a maximum of one additional season."

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
He had the typical sophomore slump and injuries but now coming out of the other side of both. This is the same thing with DeBrusk. I think it really helped both to admit they had a concussion and needed time to recover. Any GM considering trading either player needs to be fired on site.
An interesting stat mentioned during last night's game is that McAvoy became the first Bruins defenseman to score a game winner in back to back games since Bourque. Yes, that's kinda fluky but also kinda what you are getting with him. He's definitely not perfect but he is the best Dman on the team in just his 2nd year.

Best bet is to offer him the Pasta contract. 6x$6.666m. He can't argue he's worth more than one of the top 5 RWs in the league at this stage of his career--unless he just goes off in the playoffs with Bourque like numbers at over a PPG and he gets the MVP when they win the cup. If that happens, sure, pay him more. lol Everyone on this board would be demanding he get paid more than even he wants.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
He had the typical sophomore slump and injuries but now coming out of the other side of both. This is the same thing with DeBrusk. I think it really helped both to admit they had a concussion and needed time to recover. Any GM considering trading either player needs to be fired on site.
An interesting stat mentioned during last night's game is that McAvoy became the first Bruins defenseman to score a game winner in back to back games since Bourque. Yes, that's kinda fluky but also kinda what you are getting with him. He's definitely not perfect but he is the best Dman on the team in just his 2nd year.

Best bet is to offer him the Pasta contract. 6x$6.666m. He can't argue he's worth more than one of the top 5 RWs in the league at this stage of his career--unless he just goes off in the playoffs with Bourque like numbers at over a PPG and he gets the MVP when they win the cup. If that happens, sure, pay him more. lol Everyone on this board would be demanding he get paid more than even he wants.

But Pastrnak is grossly underpaid. I don't see that argument holding much weight at all, unfortunately.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Article 1 of the 2013 CBA:

"Accrued Season" means any League Year during which a Player was on a
Club's Active Roster for 40 (30 if the Player is a goalie) or more Regular Season Games,
provided that, for the purposes of calculating an Accrued Season under this Agreement, games
missed due to a hockey-related injury incurred while on a Club's Active Roster shall count as
games played for purposes of calculating an Accrued Season but only during the League Year in
which the injury was incurred and a maximum of one additional season."
Looks like your correct. CBA has special clause in almost every FA category as more than 10+ games for 18&19 except
Group 3UFA which is uses its standard definition of accrued season of 40+

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Looks like your correct. CBA has special clause in almost every FA category as more than 10+ games for 18&19 except
Group 3UFA which is uses its standard definition of accrued season of 40+
The 10+ games for 18 & 19 applies to determine if they have burned a year of their ELC.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
The 10+ games for 18 & 19 applies to determine if they have burned a year of their ELC.
Read the actual section in CBA on free agents, restricted free agents and UFA with less than 80 games, an accrued season is 11 games of pro hockey for 18&19 just not Group 3 UFA.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Group 6 Free Agents.
(i) Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three (3) or more professional seasons, whose SPC has expired and: (i) in the case of a Player other than a goaltender, has played less than 80 NHL Games, or (ii) in the case of a goaltender, has played less than 28 NHL Games (for the purpose of this definition, a goaltender must have played a minimum of thirty (30) minutes in an NHL Game to register a game played). For the purposes of the foregoing, the term professional season shall: (A) for a Player aged 18 or 19, mean any season in which such Player plays in eleven (11) or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff games, and games played in any European professional league, while under an SPC), and (B) for a Player aged 20 or older, mean any season in which such Player plays in one or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff games, and games played in any European professional league, while under an SPC).

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Group 5 Free Agents.
(i) Means any Player who has completed ten (10) or more professional seasons (minor league or NHL seasons, but excluding any season in Major Juniors), and who did not earn in the final year of his SPC more than that year's Average League Salary, provided that such Player has not previously elected to become an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to the terms of Section 10.1(b)(ii) below or the terms governing Group 5 Free Agents in any collective bargaining agreement preceding this Agreement. For the purposes of the foregoing, the term "professional season" shall: (A) for a Player aged 18 or 19, mean any season in which such Player plays in eleven (11) or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff games, and games played in any European professional league, while under an SPC), and (B) for a Player aged 20 or older, mean any season in which such Player plays in one or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff games, and games played in any European professional league, while under an SPC).

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
At end of day Charlie can sign a 4 year deal and still be a RFA. This is exactly what they should do... maybe 5.5 x4 or at most 6x4, barring an incredible playoff with B hoisting cup and McAvoy winning the con smyth. If that happens pay the man.

Last edited:

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
But Pastrnak is grossly underpaid. I don't see that argument holding much weight at all, unfortunately.
Bruins are not overpaying an RFA. As others have mentioned in this thread, GM DS's best days as GM are his reupping contracts to current roster players like Marchand, Pastrnak, even Grzelcyk. He holds the line and at the end of the day, other teams are not going to spend 4 1sts and $10.5m on your player so he holds the cards. McAvoy is trending towards a guy that could earn that much in 3-4 years but not right now unless he goes on an incredible hot streak to end the year.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Bruins are not overpaying an RFA. As others have mentioned in this thread, GM DS's best days as GM are his reupping contracts to current roster players like Marchand, Pastrnak, even Grzelcyk. He holds the line and at the end of the day, other teams are not going to spend 4 1sts and $10.5m on your player so he holds the cards. McAvoy is trending towards a guy that could earn that much in 3-4 years but not right now unless he goes on an incredible hot streak to end the year.

Agreed. For this reason, I'd be surprised if we don't see a 3-4 year bridge deal. If he becomes a superstar in that time, then he gets a superstar deal.

Still, after the underpayments of Marchand and Pastrnak, it'd almost provide a sense of balance to overpay McAvoy. It can't go on forever.

Reactions: 00BW

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I can’t believe the amount of people that think this kid is worth anything over 3 million. He hasn’t been the Norris trophy D that people here want him to desperately be. He’s been hurt and had medical issues. His play has suffered tremendously because of it. He should’ve been sitting quite a few times this year due to bad play. I see him getting burned all the time. He isn’t great yet people. He’s going to get a bridge and anything past 3 mil is over payment. Same thing was being mentioned with Pasta.

3M might be a little low but the rest of your post is bang on.

Not sure if we should be to concerned that he turned down a contract offer without knowing what that offer was.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
4 years isn't a solution - you don't walk the guy right into UFA. it's either 2-3 year "bridge" or long term.

I have heard so many talking heads say this as a gospel... and I think its a common thought among gms too... but why?

lets say you pee off your player sticking him with a short offer and short term deal that dead ends 1 year before ufa… then what?

the player will have arbitration rights at that point and is going to be wanting ufa. so they take you to arbitration... jam up the money... and go poof

how is that better than giving him the generous offer that dead ends in ufa and use it to create a good feeling... if the player is going to resign, its much more likely if he feels you negotiated 'fair'

at this point if you got a 'kid' who has demonstrated he can play you really only got 2 choices... pay him or trade him. trying to get creative in ways that are intended to screw the player over just ends badly.

players/agents have just gotten a new education the past 2 years. they went from a mindset of getting the 6-7-8 year guaranteed deals to now realizing that upper end contracts have broken wide open. around the nhl you see guys like makinnon, gaudreau, pastrnak having now cost themselves 5-10 million dollars by locking into these longer term deals the model for new deals is going to look a lot like what Austin Matthews just signed for... front loaded/full of bonus money... no measurable discount for 'a bridge' and a low term so if the cap does go up again, the player wont be screwed.

it sounds like it sucks for the teams... and yes it does

unfortunately teams have allowed these 21-22 year old kids to have this bargaining power. all this talk 'build through the draft' Now a team is screwed if it lets its young stars walk over money that the competition is willing to pay.

a labour stoppage is coming in the new cba… not many see it yet, but I don't mind being a lone voice in the wind telling you all to take cover. of course, no one will remember I was saying it 2 years before anyone else when it does eventually roll around.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Bruins hold all the cards and should play them. Need to see more to demand a huge payday based on his stats

Stats, and play. He is good, but still a bit up and down. Maybe it is the shaking off the injuries and all, but he needs to be more consistently beast mode along with putting up the numbers for the kind of deal Fluto thinks he is looking for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad