Speculation: Florida's pick - Watch thread - (Upon request, thread title change lol)

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Bob just released his mid season rankings. Lots of centers available and it's shocking to see the first D man ranked 17th.

Yeah, this is a really center loaded draft. I’m sure a team will reach for a defenceman as there’s a few rated for the first round, but I’d be stunned if any are picked in the top-10. Things can change of course, but that’s my opinion based in data today.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, this is a really center loaded draft. I’m sure a team will reach for a defenceman as there’s a few rated for the first round, but I’d be stunned if any are picked in the top-10. Things can change of course, but that’s my opinion based in data today.

I don't recall a draft where a D didn't go top 10 but this draft might happen. U18's usually change things a bit so there is still some hockey left to play for the draft year.

Imagine what Bedard does at the U18's? Other teams will be like... :help:

Reactions: sandviper

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Panthers taking on the Penguins tonight. I'm not 100% confident in Pittsburgh.

That's because Pens have been playing shit!

However, there are now 5 positives:

1. They have good goaltending. Jerry is solid.

2. Crosby has picked it up last few games. He was looking a little old, but he brought better energy against the Sens and was a massive factor.

3. Petry is back. He's helped their backend for sure. He's put up points in all 3 games he's played, and played well overall.

4. Letang is apparently back tonight. Should give them another offensive boost which is where they've been struggling.

5. Panthers are playing Knight, who is coming off an injury, and didn't play in his previous 4 starts prior to injury. Bennett is out. Ekblad is definitely playing with something. The only offense they're getting right now is Barkov-Tkachuk and mostly their PP.

I expect the Pens to know what the stakes are & play their best game. Go Pens!

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Florida getting the loser point in OT against the Pens.

But..... Pens move another point ahead of them for the final wild card spot with multiple games in hand.

Sabres currently winning.
Wings won
Flyers got an OT point

Need the caps to salvage a point.
Coyotes and Ducks go to OT.
Blackhawks beat the Canucks

Reactions: WinterLion

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

But..... Pens move another point ahead of them for the final wild card spot with multiple games in hand.

Wings won
Flyers got an OT point

We want the Canucks to win. We can't catch Chicago realistically.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Wings won
Flyers got an OT point

Canucks need to win more than Chicago does. They're 4 pts behind MTL. They win, they're 2 pts back with a game in hand. Chicago is 11 pts behind. They'll have 2 games in hand after tonight.

Canucks with a more legitimate chance of passing Habs. So Canucks need to win. Hoping for a VAN OT/SO win.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Canucks need to win more than Chicago does. They're 4 pts behind MTL. They win, they're 2 pts back with a game in hand. Chicago is 11 pts behind. They'll have 2 games in hand after tonight.

Canucks with a more legitimate chance of passing Habs. So Canucks need to win. Hoping for a VAN OT/SO win.
I just have a feeling the ship with right itself in Vancouver with Tochett bring new life into the locker room.

But I do get the idea for Vancouver to start getting points.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I just have a feeling the ship with right itself in Vancouver with Tochett bring new life into the locker room.

But I do get the idea for Vancouver to start getting points.

It will be good to see Blackhawks pick up points along the way. So if by any chance they get tighter behind Habs, we can really root for them to win. It's just that Vancouver is in a more immediate spot to pass Habs.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Great night last night.

Washington and Pittsburgh going to the S/O.
Buffalo winning.

All the teams below the Habs winning that need to.

Reactions: Rob Sense

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Imagine the race there would be if there was no lottery and it was changed to points accumulation in wins after being officially eliminated? Teams were tanking anyways so saying they would tank earlier is not accurate. What more could the Blackhawks have done?

Teams in the bottom 10 could be buyers at the deadline? Could be some games at the end of the season where one team is going after Bedard and the other is going after a playoff spot. There would be no tanking then, That's for sure!

Last edited:

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Imagine the race there would be if there was no lottery and it was changed to points accumulation in wins after being officially eliminated? Teams were tanking anyways so saying they would tank earlier is not accurate. What more could the Blackhawks have done?

Teams in the bottom 10 could be buyers at the deadline? Could be some games at the end of the season where one team is going after Bedard and the other is going after a playoff spot. There would be no tanking then, That's for sure!
While this is a noble idea that I see bandied about every once in a while its not as feasible as it first seems. Hypothetically, being "officially eliminated" would take quiet a long time and end up with 15 games deciding who gets top pick.

Let's say a team Lost every game for 40 games we'd say they we're eliminated right? Not really, because if they won the remaining 42 they'd still end up at 84. Mathematical elimination doesn't usually happen until about game 65-70. Lets use Columbus as an example today they're at 33 pts with 34 games remaining, so if they won all of them from here till the end of the year they'd end at 101. Right now a team in 8th has about a 0.600 record, if columbus kept losing every game from now forward they wouldn't get mathematically eliminated until about 20games left. If you assume they follow there similar trend, they'll be mathematically eliminated with 15 games remaining. Montreal wouldn't be "eliminated if they lost every game untill 20 games remaining. If they followed the same trend as today they'd be eliminated with about 10 games to go. All this would do is interfere with playoff races because the race for Bedard would occur at the same time as the playoffs.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
kings just won in regulation in florida
33F61338-47EF-4322-82AA-7E633BA76D68.gif

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Curious, as to what site, is the best site to read up on the upcoming draft, and ranking of the top players in the draft?
Was hoping the Habs would have two top 10 picks, but FLA has other ideas...
Tank a thon

Reactions: Kojo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad