Speculation: Florida's pick - Watch thread - (Upon request, thread title change lol)

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I don't know about everyone else but the Panthers 1st rounder is looking decent now at the quarter way of the season.

I remember during the off-season people were tossing it in deals to improve the team.

I was of the mindset their defense is alot weaker this year. Knight seems to be their go to guy. They got the Staal brothers playing decent minutes. Plus the biggest thing that got me more excited about the pick was they brought Maurice in at coach.

Currently sitting out of the playoffs and losses to Columbus again tonight. The team was playing on a huge high last year they just don't look or feel like the same Panthers of last year.

I feel like Hughes might have gotten another theft of a deal possibly here, where everyone was portraying the Panthers as the same squad which they are not and thought the pick would be 27-32.

I know it's still early but I got a really good feeling about that pick.

How does everyone else feel about it?

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

2woUjog.gif

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know about everyone else but the Panthers 1st rounder is looking decent now at the quarter way of the season.

I remember during the off-season people were tossing it in deals to improve the team.

I was of the mindset their defense is alot weaker this year. Knight seems to be their go to guy. They got the Staal brothers playing decent minutes. Plus the biggest thing that got me more excited about the pick was they brought Maurice in at coach.

Currently sitting out of the playoffs and losses to Columbus again tonight. The team was playing on a huge high last year they just don't look or feel like the same Panthers of last year.

I feel like Hughes might have gotten another theft of a deal possibly here, where everyone was portraying the Panthers as the same squad which they are not and thought the pick would be 27-32.

Like you said it's early. There's potential there. I'll follow it pretty closely, but only start to believe around trade deadline time if they're still out of the plsyoffs.

Being able to root for both us and them to get down to a top 5/10 pick would be twice as fun as only rooting for us.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
They are 2 pts from a wildcard spot. Still early to tell.

I'm more curious if we can get more picks from Monahan, Dadonov, Drouin who are UFA and maybe Hoffman who has a year left.

I don't expect much but Monahan is quietly producing good support numbers so who knows.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We can hope they continue to struggle...............but it's early folks.

They are 2 pts from a wildcard spot. Still early to tell.

I'm more curious if we can get more picks from Monahan, Dadonov, Drouin who are UFA and maybe Hoffman who has a year left.

I don't expect much but Monahan is quietly producing good support numbers so who knows.
Monahan maybe.................Dads and Drouin, we wont get our pick of sandwiches from any one let alone Subway.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
We can hope they continue to struggle...............but it's early folks.

Monahan maybe.................Dads and Drouin, we wont get our pick of sandwiches from any one let alone Subway.

I did single out monahan since he's a center which adds some value. Drouin and Dadonov aren't really selling themselves right now.

Reactions: BLONG7

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I called it early on and was called delusional.

Ive watched many panthers games this season and even tho its still very early and much can change. They are a much weaker team with huge holes. The only reason they have any hope this season is bcuz of Barkov (whos been underwhelming), Ekbald (whos been struggling defensively) and Tkachuk (whos bee amazing and prob wont be able to maintain his pace for much longer).

Tho at the same time, they are too good to be bottom 10 bad unless they implode after giving up hope for the playoff chase.

Lets hope for a 12 to 16 pick and enjoy the same success we've had with mid round picks (caufield and guhle) which have turned out much better than the top 2 to 5 - 10 picks.

Reactions: BigHabs

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
They actually out performed my expectation without Ekblad… but this team is a playoff bubble team. We should be trading some player to the NYR, PIT and DET to insure that FLA can’t catch them…
they were bad without Ekblad and he isnt the same from last season. He seems off

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

They are also going through a rough stretch, next 2 games at home vs Boston and St-Louis (who are back on the right track after an aweful start), then 5 games on the road vs EDM, CGY, VAN, SEA, WPG.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Panthers team had a ridiculous shooting % last season, there was always going to be a reversion to normalcy

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I did single out monahan since he's a center which adds some value. Drouin and Dadonov aren't really selling themselves right now.
Monahan os on pace for just a little over 40 points, all while playing with a myriad of so-so players. If Hughes puts Slafkovsky with Monahan and Anderson, things could get interesting for the veteran C and he might be closer to 50+ point pace come the trade deadline.

Should that be the case, he'll definitely be able to fetch a first round pick. Whether it is in 2023 or in 2024 will depend how money he is at that point and the situation at C for pretenders/contenders either looking to get into the playoffs or go far in the playoffs.

Personally, I'd rather trade Monahan to a team looking to guarantee a spot in the playoffs than one looking to piggy back off of Monahan to go the furthest possible in the Spring Dance.

The lottery pick can be top-10 protected, but a team hoping to make the playoffs can always just fall short and land us a pick between 10 and 16. That would be huge!

Edmundson might also be worth a 1st round pick if he stays healthy until the trade deadline as he's built for the playoffs and has already shown he can be. Montreal holding back 1.75M for this playoff run and next season raise the value for Edmundson.

So, potentially, the Florida pick (20ish, under the best of circumstances, I believe), another pick between 16 and 20 for Monahan, let's say and a late 20s pick for Edmundson would give plenty of valuable cards for Hughes to play with.

Even if we stay near .500 and end up picking between 11th and 14th, for example, the Habs' GM could probably bundle picks to move up between 8th and 10th if they can target a player they really want.

Montreal's 12th OA, let's say, plus another first round pick between 16th and 20th and our 44th OA pick (second round pick) for a pick between 8th and 10th OA.

It all depends who has that pick and how they hold up down the middle. Allowing Montreal a stab at Dvorsky withy then 8th OA, for example, in exchange for two 1st round darts and a 2nd round dart to land wingers, in an extremely deep draft, may be tempting for someone.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I called it early on and was called delusional.

Ive watched many panthers games this season and even tho its still very early and much can change. They are a much weaker team with huge holes. The only reason they have any hope this season is bcuz of Barkov (whos been underwhelming), Ekbald (whos been struggling defensively) and Tkachuk (whos bee amazing and prob wont be able to maintain his pace for much longer).

Tho at the same time, they are too good to be bottom 10 bad unless they implode after giving up hope for the playoff chase.

Lets hope for a 12 to 16 pick and enjoy the same success we've had with mid round picks (caufield and guhle) which have turned out much better than the top 2 to 5 - 10 picks.

Segachev and Price turned out pretty well at #5 and #9.

Let's just not draft for need and choose the center over BPA and we should be good.

Reactions: BLONG7

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Segachev and Price turned out pretty well at #5 and #9.

Let's just not draft for need and choose the center over BPA and we should be good.
Price is distant memory. Sergs turned out ok but we traded him.

yup lets draft BPA and ,make sure we properly develop them. One or two years away from the big club and then see from there. Just like we did with Guhle and Caufield

Reactions: calder candidate

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Wow we may be ahead of them by next game.

Would you rather pick 9 and 25 with the 2 picks or 15 and 16?

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Wow we may be ahead of them by next game.

Would you rather pick 9 and 25 with the 2 picks or 15 and 16?
I think I usually I would prefer 9 and 25 since the difference from 9 to 15 might be bigger than 16 to 25 but this year I think that the tier from 9 to 15 is pretty close + you have to roll the dice at having 2 balls the lottery.

Reactions: McGees

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I figure it be around 20th. Habs could trade it at draft. In another Dach type trade.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Just touching back on this threat again, Florida lost again tonight and are completely struggling even to string any wins together let alone win here and there.

Almost into the new year and it's looking better since I've started the thread. It's exciting the possibility have to already great picks potentially. Hughes being on record trying alot to try to obtain another 1st rounder this year.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Florida is not making the playoffs, but they are unlikely to be a bottom 10 team. Buffalo and possibly Detroit will finish ahead of them in the Atlantic (aside from the big three currently at the top of the division). In the Metro, Washington will likely take the last spot in the playoffs in the East, with the Islanders fighting until the end and finishing just out of the race. Florida will finish with the 11-13 worse record in the league, unless the team completely gives up in the second part of the season.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad