Speculation: Florida's pick - Watch thread - (Upon request, thread title change lol)

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Toronto traded two unprotected 1st round picks (and a 2nd round pick) to Boston for Phil Kessel. Those first round picks ended up being 2nd overall and 9th overall.

At the same time, Kessel was a darn good hockey player. Not a Chiarot at all, or wven a Duchene for that matter.

A bit unlucky for Toronto that these two picks netted really good players (Seguin and Hamilton), but in hindsight, still a decent gamble imo.

Chiarot though... yikes

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
It was the Duchene trade (Avs to Sens one)

* Sens trade their 2018 1st with protection for Duchene. Due to protection, they kept the pick and took Tkachuk.
* In the following season, they finished last but Avs own the pick. It didn't win the lottery and Avs took Byram 4th.

Or the Karlsson trade for Tierney Balcers Demelo Norris + 1st round pick (end up being the 2nd overall ->Stutzle)

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
At the same time, Kessel was a darn good hockey player. Not a Chiarot at all, or wven a Duchene for that matter.

A bit unlucky for Toronto that these two picks netted really good players (Seguin and Hamilton), but in hindsight, still a decent gamble imo.

Chiarot though... yikes
and not too bad for Toronto as Seguin and Hamilton became Loui Eriksson, Reilly Smith and Senyshyn (+ shit) for the Bruins not even 5 yrs later.

Reactions: abo9

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
This is still the best swindling of a GM ever for a draft pick...

Jean Beliveau was nearing the end of his career with the Montreal Canadiens, and general manager Sam Pollock knew he needed a superstar to replace his team's aging legend.
He wanted Guy Lafleur. He manipulated the expansion Oakland Seals and managed to get their No. 1 pick in the 1971 draft by trading their top pick in the 1970 draft and winger Ernie Hickey.
Pollock figured the Seals would be an awful team, but as the 1971 season got underway, the Los Angeles Kings were playing even worse than the Seals. That meant they might be in a position to have the No. 1 pick and take Lafleur or trade his rights. Pollock knew that was not in the Canadiens' best interest, so he traded forward Ralph Backstrom to Los Angeles. Pollock figured that Backstrom would make the Kings stronger and they would not finish in the basement.
Pollock was right, as usual. Instead of ending up with the second pick—which could have been Marcel Dionne—they had the No. 1 pick and selected Lafleur.

Let's see what kind of magic Hughes has up his sleeve.

sj315

Dec 5, 2017
1671718526041.png

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
id prefer Fantilli but whats that russian report?

That the Habs and Philly won't be selecting Russians in the NHL Entry Draft. Hughes didn't deny the report he just said that they interviewed a russian player in the combine.

Very interesting deflection since the only russians in the combine are those already in North America. They had a bevvy of picks and many instances where a russian on the board was better than who they did select, and they didn't select one Russian.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Given the geopolitical developments in Eastern Europe not picking Russians is the correct move. Regardless of what one thinks of the morality of the different agents of the NATO-Russia proxy war in Ukraine, the situation is clearly likely to worsen.

Is Russia even sending a team to the 2023 world juniors?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Given the geopolitical developments in Eastern Europe not picking Russians is the correct move. Regardless of what one thinks of the morality of the different agents of the NATO-Russia proxy war in Ukraine, the situation is clearly likely to worsen.

They are indefinitely banned from IIHF events.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I can’t believe Chiarot landed us an unprotected 1st. This while time I thought it was top 10 protected…what a fleecing by Hugo
And FLA lost in the first round...AND he's not even on the team anymore.
Lmao.
I wish we could do the same with Edmundson but odds are, 2nd or 3rd pick

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Lmao.
I disagree. I think HuGo will end up landing a 2024 1st for Edmundson. That or a former 1st round pick. Top 4 D on caps under 2 AAV for two playoff runs are extremely valuable. TDL is the perfect opportunity to behold the stupidity and desperation of GMs in the league. Case and point, Florida and Chiarot

Reactions: sj315 and Runner77

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022

Seems like leaving money on the table but I fear it's the right move with a high-value draft pick -- you don't gamble on those ones and picking a player out of Russia has a heightened risk of failure now even though it's not those players' fault whatsoever. I feel bad for them.

Reactions: DAChampion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lmao.

I think we can get two 2nd rounder for Eddy but we will hold out as long as we can for the 1st.

Is the Chiarot unprotected 1st the fist one we have ever seen? If not, what are the other trades?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad