Speculation: Florida's pick - Watch thread - (Upon request, thread title change lol)

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I can’t see FLA passing BOS, TOR or TB and there is 6 teams battling for those 2 wildcard spot NYR, NYI, WSH, BUF, and all in better situation even DET, OTT and MTL have game in hand and could past them…
That FLA D is pretty bad can’t see them turn it around. It is still very early but it look like they are missing the playoff and we are aiming for #7 with our pick and we likely get 8-12 with the FLA pick.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I don't know about everyone else but the Panthers 1st rounder is looking decent now at the quarter way of the season.

I remember during the off-season people were tossing it in deals to improve the team.

I was of the mindset their defense is alot weaker this year. Knight seems to be their go to guy. They got the Staal brothers playing decent minutes. Plus the biggest thing that got me more excited about the pick was they brought Maurice in at coach.

Currently sitting out of the playoffs and losses to Columbus again tonight. The team was playing on a huge high last year they just don't look or feel like the same Panthers of last year.

I feel like Hughes might have gotten another theft of a deal possibly here, where everyone was portraying the Panthers as the same squad which they are not and thought the pick would be 27-32.

I know it's still early but I got a really good feeling about that pick.

How does everyone else feel about it?
They lost some great depth. They miss Jason Marchment alot, great energy player, they miss Duclair and Weager as well. Team is fighting every nght from what Ive seen, but they just struggle to keep the head out of the water.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
The crazy thing is if they are a bubble team again next year we can decide not to take Calgary's pick and defer it to 2025 where we get the better of Florida and Calagary top 10 protected.

So we could end up with a pick in the 10-20 range because of Florida again.
If Florida misses the playoffs in 2025, the Calgary pick is only first OVR protected. If they get #2 or anything else, we get it.

Reactions: calder candidate

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The crazy thing is if they are a bubble team again next year we can decide not to take Calgary's pick and defer it to 2025 where we get the better of Florida and Calagary top 10 protected.

So we could end up with a pick in the 10-20 range because of Florida again.
Yes we can call it in to Calgary right now we will defer to 2025 these two team aren’t getting any better… even if the protection kick in the better of Calgary or Florida pick in 25 or 26 will be the better that a late 2024…

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I said this when he was the coach of the Jets and didn’t win anything with the amazing roster he had - Paul Maurice is terrible.

It simply blows my mind how this man keeps finding work

The NHL recycling coaches over and over again and paying them ridiculous salaries is a market inefficiency, I'm convinced. Paul Maurice being a head coach yet again, while Jukka Jalonen can't get a job offer is proof positive.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I see the East lower standings finishing in this order:

13.Florida
14.Philadelphia
15.Montreal
16.Columbus

Bodes well for us, we can realistically envision adding Barlow/Stramel with these 2 picks to our talent pool come this June!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Im not sure it matters but they have the 6th hardest schedule left....

Habs have the hardest btw.

It's a factor among many other factors. Each team has up/downs in the season with momentum/confidence and they will face injuries at bad times. I wonder if that hardest schedule factors in if we are facing teams on a back/back?

I'm expecting the Habs pick to be 5-10 range and the Panthers pick 8-16 range. I can see the Panthers slipping more or making a push and falling short.

Reactions: jaffy27

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Does anyone remember a year when ottawa traded a first rounder that won the lottery and became a 1OA pick?

I’m trying to find out which team and who was the pick

Reactions: abo9

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ottawa traded a first rounder that became Bowen Byram.

But they also acquired a first rounder that became Tim Stutzle or Jake Sanderson.

Everyone said the Rysn O'Reilly trade from Buffalo to st. Louis was highway robbery for St. Louis. But one of the many pieces Buffalo got was Tage Thomoson.

Futures are good. Trading vets for futures is good, on top of hopefully pushing us into the top 6 pre-lottery. We're a much weaker team without Monahan and Savard in the lineup.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I said this when he was the coach of the Jets and didn’t win anything with the amazing roster he had - Paul Maurice is terrible.

It simply blows my mind how this man keeps finding work
People here complaining about how French requirement prevent the Habs to hire the best coach, yet teams continue to recycle guys who have been outcoached by Dom Ducharme.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Unless they go on a pretty awesome run, Florida is looking like they are going to miss the playoffs. From 5th last to 16th last is wide open at this point.

I can truthfully see a scenario where we finish in the 4th or 5th last and Florida around 8-10.

I don't see anyone catching Hawks, Ducks or Jackets. Coyotes are a wild card.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does anyone remember a year when ottawa traded a first rounder that won the lottery and became a 1OA pick?

I’m trying to find out which team and who was the pick

It was the Duchene trade (Avs to Sens one)

* Sens trade their 2018 1st with protection for Duchene. Due to protection, they kept the pick and took Tkachuk.
* In the following season, they finished last but Avs own the pick. It didn't win the lottery and Avs took Byram 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad