Pre-Game Talk: Florida vs. Ottawa Dec 19th

agent2421

Feb 3, 2008
Ottawa
I think this team is in trouble, and it really really sucks.
Maclean says to the media that the team lacks leadership. That's a pretty bold statement to make, even if it is obviously true. This is the sort of last ditch move that a coach makes to save his job.
Lehner says they are too non-chalant.
Maclean's ridiculous line juggling. Bobby Ryan getting 12 minutes of ice time? Not going out for power plays? Condra getting 16+ minutes? What the actual **** is going on?

I've been quiet for the season so far but I find myself disagreeing with Maclean on many of his decisions. Yes, he won the Jack Adams, but his decisions this year sure arent' leading to any results, so what's his deal then? Blame needs to be shared, but he cannot be held above the blame becuase he won an award. He's been markedly sub-standard in my opinion this season.

I've had this conversation a few times now, and no other name has come up.
In recent memory...say since 2000, Kassian is the worst player to suit up for the Sens. McGrattan was a better fighter and a better skater.
Konopka won faceoffs. More of a wrestler than a fighter.
Francis Lessard could actually skate decently well and went all out each shift to lay big hits.
Kassian is the worst skater ever. Way behind the play, so he's too late to deliver any hits, and he's not really a great fighter. He's just good at not getting tagged by a heavy punch. His puck skills are brutal as well.

But hey, let's put him in. What a joke.

100% agree.... Maclean has made god awful decisions but he's been our best coach in years so I'd judge him after taking a few more seasons into account. He's still frustrating as hell though. Leadership is a problem and we ****ed up in the off season when we gave Spezza the C. Not running him out of town or anything but where does the team go from here if Spezza shouldn't be captain? We strip the C off him and he's got hurt feelings against Ottawa. We let him be C for the next 6-7 years, if he doesn't live up to the captaincy, then the jokes on us. I think Karlsson should have gotten the captaincy, and let the kid run with it. Now, no matte which direction we go, it's either Spezza has to be traded or we deal with a pissed off Spezza if he loses his C.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Conacher COULD make a difference out there.

Kassian definitely can't.

Waste of a roster spot. Of course his 1:05 TOI could make the difference.

I don't think you have any idea what does or doesn't make a difference on the ice.

This team has a better record with Kassian in the line-up than with him out of it (this year).

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
These pre-game threads need a poll asking which opposing player will score the first goal of the game

That's to easy, either the guy with the longest scoring draught or the rookie who has yet to score in the league

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I honestly don't know what to think about this team anymore. I put my 50 renewed VChips on the Sens out of force of habit, but I am not confident that we will come out with any points. Hopefully the big message from management last night will make an impression, but I am even doubtful of that because the team meeting earlier in the season did nothing.

If there is a team in the league right now that desperately needs a trade to shake things up it is the Sens.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I think this team is in trouble, and it really really sucks.
Maclean says to the media that the team lacks leadership. That's a pretty bold statement to make, even if it is obviously true. This is the sort of last ditch move that a coach makes to save his job.
Lehner says they are too non-chalant.
Maclean's ridiculous line juggling. Bobby Ryan getting 12 minutes of ice time? Not going out for power plays? Condra getting 16+ minutes? What the actual **** is going on?

I've been quiet for the season so far but I find myself disagreeing with Maclean on many of his decisions. Yes, he won the Jack Adams, but his decisions this year sure arent' leading to any results, so what's his deal then? Blame needs to be shared, but he cannot be held above the blame becuase he won an award. He's been markedly sub-standard in my opinion this season.

I've had this conversation a few times now, and no other name has come up.
In recent memory...say since 2000, Kassian is the worst player to suit up for the Sens. McGrattan was a better fighter and a better skater.
Konopka won faceoffs. More of a wrestler than a fighter.
Francis Lessard could actually skate decently well and went all out each shift to lay big hits.
Kassian is the worst skater ever. Way behind the play, so he's too late to deliver any hits, and he's not really a great fighter. He's just good at not getting tagged by a heavy punch. His puck skills are brutal as well.

But hey, let's put him in. What a joke.

Maclean doesn't sign the players, he has to play the guys the GM brings in. Kassian is a player on this team and he has to be played at some point. He certainly isn't over played.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
i'm surprised wiercioch is sitting and not corvo after last night. I like joe, but he had a bit of a rough game last night as compared to patty. if you're going to send a statement to players that the best players play, hard to justify joe over patty tonight.
Hope its not a pending trade for Weircioch..
Though showcasing Corvo would be nice.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
I wonder if the guys actually like having Kassian in the lineup because it means more icetime for them?

John Holmes*

He has zero skill, and hardly fights.

He should have to buy a ticket to see NHL hockey.

i wonder what bench seats cost...

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
nor is he the reason we lose games :)

Agreed......He doesn't play enough minutes to be a difference maker either way. I'd rather dress Wiercioch as a 7th defenseman just to use him on the pp. At least those 3 minutes would be of use.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I dont mind Kassian, and its not cause I like Kassian..I just like how were able to double shift our best players when hes in the lineup.

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
He has zero skill, and hardly fights.

He should have to buy a ticket to see NHL hockey.

i wonder what bench seats cost...

He plays his few minutes a night, finishes his checks whenever he has the chance, and makes simple plays. In the past few games he's played he actually threw some nice hits and had a few decent scoring chances. Unfortunately the team is having a lot of problems this year(Kassian being the least of them) and as a result he is not getting a lot of ice time. People are therefore writing him off and don't even bother to pay attention to how he plays, and simply scoff at him and say he's useless. In reality, he's not as bad as people make him out to be. He's a fourth liner and that's it, not sure what else people are expecting of him?

I'll take a heavyweight on the 4th line who plays a few minutes a night and can at least provide some toughness and some energy if needed over some midget who plays a few minutes a night and provides nothing at all.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I don't think you have any idea what does or doesn't make a difference on the ice.

This team has a better record with Kassian in the line-up than with him out of it (this year).

PLEASE :shakehead Do you think the line up is better with Kassian in it ? Anyhow Kassian, Conacher not part of the BIG issue's here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad