Pre-Game Talk: Florida vs. Ottawa Dec 19th

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
And people wonder why Filatov bolted. Paul MacLean treats young players like crap. He doesn't even give them a chance to prove themselves.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
Kassian is likely in the lineup to give the team an energy guy. Too often this year has the team started and stayed flat througout games. Kassian knows his role - he'll drop the gloves if needed, he'll forecheck hard, and he'll finish his checks. These are things the team sorely lacks right now, especially a physical presence. Even the bigger Sens are passive and not aggressive.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
And people wonder why Filatov bolted. Paul MacLean treats young players like crap. He doesn't even give them a chance to prove themselves.

Pretty much this. The young players have a very short leash with MacLean. On the opposite side, the older players seem to have the leash too long.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

This has been evident since day 1 though. Filatov, Da Costa, Hoffman, Zibanejad, Stone, Pageau all had call-ups and very short leashes so far under Mac. He brought the Detroit line of thinking with him.

Whether or not you agree with it is another thing entirely.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008

Karlsson, Turris, Smith, and Greening have developed under MacLean. Ceci is getting a ton of ice time right now. Some youngsters have been moved around this year and have had inconsistent ice time (notably Z-bad, but many agreed that he's been erratic), but many have also excelled under MacLean.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Interesting to note that Ryan was the only top six forward on the ice for the optional skate today according to Garrioch.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
This has been evident since day 1 though. Filatov, Da Costa, Hoffman, Zibanejad, Stone, Pageau all had call-ups and very short leashes so far under Mac. He brought the Detroit line of thinking with him.

Whether or not you agree with it is another thing entirely.

Seems to work great for Detroit.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Great example! I mean, Filatov NEVER had issues with any other coaches before he got here.

Also, Karlsson, Greening, Condra, Cowen say hello.

I think what you meant to say was: "Maclean never gives the young prospects I LIKE a chance to prove themselves!"

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Who gives a crap about Filatov? He will never be an NHLer, let alone a good one. I don't think anyone actually "wonders" why Filatov bolted. It's like wondering why Petr Schastlivy bolted.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Kassian is likely in the lineup to give the team an energy guy. Too often this year has the team started and stayed flat througout games. Kassian knows his role - he'll drop the gloves if needed, he'll forecheck hard, and he'll finish his checks. These are things the team sorely lacks right now, especially a physical presence. Even the bigger Sens are passive and not aggressive.

He's sure going to provide the team with MORE ENERGY when he gets his traditional 1 minute of icetime, forcing the other players in the lineup to PLAY MORE SHIFTS, making them MORE TIRED, by the time the 3rd period and possible overtime come around.

I sure like your way of thinking.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Waive Kassian.

Trade Wiercioch for anything.

Bring up Stone.

Trade Conacher or keep him around as a 13th forward.

This team needs guys that can handle a puck and forecheck. We are the WORST team in the league on the forecheck bar none. Everyone gives up.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
He's sure going to provide the team with MORE ENERGY when he gets his traditional 1 minute of icetime, forcing the other players in the lineup to PLAY MORE SHIFTS, making them MORE TIRED, by the time the 3rd period and possible overtime come around.

I sure like your way of thinking.

If he uses his 2 or 3 shifts to make a big hit or gets into a fight, which ends up getting the team going, then he has done his job. Other than Neil, there really isn't another guy on the team that could fill that role.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Great example! I mean, Filatov NEVER had issues with any other coaches before he got here.

Also, Karlsson, Greening, Condra, Cowen say hello.

I think what you meant to say was: "Maclean never gives the young prospects I LIKE a chance to prove themselves!"

You make a good point but if MacLean doesn't like Gryba, Weircioch, and Conacher they should be traded while they still have value. Again I ask the same question I've asked since last year. Why trade for Conacher if you have no real desire to play him ? Why acquire a guy that is clearly not a MacLean type player ? Why make Jason Spezza captain when he clearly doesn't play the style that you the coach prefers ? Why keep going to the same players over and over again when they are not listening, and it is not working ?

Last edited:

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

Because Filatov couldn't do his job on the breakout without shoulder checking both ways multiple times and sharting his pants in fear.

Which has strangely been Zibanejad's problem over the past few games when facing top line competition; I can't be the only one who noticed his inability to break out as a winger lately...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad