GDT: Florida @ Toronto - April 1st 7 PM- Sportsnet "Fool me once, strike one. Fool me twice, strike three."

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Just remember.

Leafs win. Well let's see them do it in the playoffs.

Leafs lose. It will be exactly 100% indicative of what will happen in the playoffs.

Sorry I had to.
I hate contradictions, but, in this case I will make an exception. They haven’t proven anything in the playoffs, and until they do, this will be the mindset with the consensus of Leafs fans.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think we will see the Leafs be more physical than Florida tonight, for whatever that is worth (and I think it's debatable at this stage of the season). I think the Leafs will sweep both Florida games this week to make things interesting in the standings, but then probably fall short by the end of the season and finish in third.
So the opposite happens then? :laugh::sarcasm:

• Love
Reactions: HolyCrap

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Panthers look like they want to start a brawl. They're dressing both Gadjovich and Lomberg who have both been healthy scratches the last few games

Wouldve liked to have Edmundson this game
Both have been out sick, and have been chomping at the bit.

We have had a flu going through the room. Tonights lineup gives Cousins, Lorentz, and Okposo the night off up front.

We are fully healthy with Ekblad now back for a couple games.

Should be a barn burner either way. Cheers!

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Numbers for the projected lines so far this season:

Bertuzzi/Matthews/Domi:
xGF%: 66.27
GF%: 53.92

McMann/Tavares/Nylander:
xGF%: 58.83
GF%: 74.87

Knies/Holmberg/Robertson:
xGF%: 52.31
GF%: 65.66

Dewar/Kampf/Reeves:
xGF%: 58.22
GF%: 100.00

Limited minutes for this setup but pretty good results so far.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Panthers look like they want to start a brawl. They're dressing both Gadjovich and Lomberg who have both been healthy scratches the last few games

Wouldve liked to have Edmundson this game

That's a good sign if Maurice feels he has to dress a tougher lineup tonight.

I've always been of the frame of mind of letting the other coach spend his time figuring out the best lineup, then I (if I was a coach that is) just send out my usual group. Same goes with line matching, for the most part. Send the message that you're comfortable sending anyone of your lines against any of theirs.

Sometimes it can backfire but if nothing else it shows deep confidence in your entire lineup, something I wish Sheldon would show more of with this roster.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Numbers for the projected lines so far this season:

Bertuzzi/Matthews/Domi:
xGF%: 66.27
GF%: 53.92

McMann/Tavares/Nylander:
xGF%: 58.83
GF%: 74.87

Knies/Holmberg/Robertson:
xGF%: 52.31
GF%: 65.66

Dewar/Kampf/Reeves:
xGF%: 58.22
GF%: 100.00

Limited minutes for this setup but pretty good results so far.
I'd be very interested to see how this would work with Marner in Nylander's spot and then Willy on line 3. You'd have three very balanced lines with a major threat on each one.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
That's a good sign if Maurice feels he has to dress a tougher lineup tonight.

I've always been of the frame of mind of letting the other coach spend his time figuring out the best lineup, then I (if I was a coach that is) just send out my usual group. Same goes with line matching, for the most part. Send the message that you're comfortable sending anyone of your lines against any of theirs.

Sometimes it can backfire but if nothing else it shows deep confidence in your entire lineup, something I wish Sheldon would show more of with this roster.
Lomberg Stenlund and Gadjovich ARE the regular 4th unit. They are just healthy enough to start again.

Since they went down we gave Okposo and Lorentz some run, but this is the normal squad, lol.

In the last 30 days we had Barkov, Tkachuk, Forsling, Ekblad, and many bottom sixers out. With the exception of maybe Cousins this should be our lineup in the playoffs.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Just like the first game in Boston.
Let’s see if McCabe pulls everybody into the fight again.

Maybe he doesn’t want to see Knies get angry.
Maybe he won’t like him if he gets angry.
I fully expect we'll find out one day. He's a big solid boy and is getting more comfortable with the physical/intimidation level of pro hockey. One of these days somebody might regret lighting his fuse.

Reactions: aingefan

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I'd be very interested to see how this would work with Marner in Nylander's spot and then Willy on line 3. You'd have three very balanced lines with a major threat on each one.
i still would keep bobby with willy and knies with marner

Reactions: 1specter

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Panthers GDT is sad, some really stupid posts in there. Got a guy celebrating Bennett cross checking Bunting in the head last playoffs and when he grabbed Knies by the neck and hit his head on the ice. They're also wondering why people think they are the dirtiest team in the league.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

The rise of McMann (and the chemistry he has with Tavares) may make a Marner return work (Marner/Tavares have been pretty bad for a while now otherwise) but my only issue with that is that the most glaring stat when it comes to Matthews in the playoffs is:

Playoffs from 2020-2023:

5v5 Matthews/Marner lines:
TOI: 404:21
Goals scored: 18
Goals against: 10

Matthews without Marner lines:
TOI: 133:37
Goals scored: 0
Goals against: 4

The fact Matthews, one of the greatest 5v5 goal scorers in history, hasnt scored a 5v5 goal without Marner on his line since the 2018-2019 playoffs in a pretty big sample size scares really scares me into keeping them together. One can even make the argument that had they been glued to each other, the team would have had far more playoff success.

Another glaring issue is that Willy has been abysmal 5v5 away from Matthews/Tavares this season:

Nylander when not playing with Matthews or Tavares this season:
Ozone faceoff% 62.75
Shot differential: 46.78
High danger chance differential: 31.86
xGF%: 33.51
Goal differential: 43.90

He's had flashes (most notably with Bert/Domi for a bit) but has otherwise suffered bad from the lack of a quality center that can handle even middling QoC. I actually wonder what would happen if we were to slot him in the C role and give him Jarnkrok and another guy who has a strong 2 way element to his game though, maybe Knies? Gotta get Jarnkrok back first though and no time to get him settled. Can also just rerun the Bart/Domi/Nylander line as they already have familiarity and throw Knies/Jarnkrok up top while trying Marner on the 2nd.

Lots of options. Just gotta get healthy.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Panthers GDT is sad, some really stupid posts in there. Got a guy celebrating Bennett cross checking Bunting in the head last playoffs and when he grabbed Knies by the neck and hit his head on the ice. They're also wondering why people think they are the dirtiest team in the league.
We don't wonder, its just hilariously overblown.

Games are decided on the ice not on the message boards, people get a little too worked up.

Previous matchups have no bearing on what's to come. Strap in and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
McMann/Tavares playing together on a line:

TOI: 165:30
xGF%: 58.33
Goals for/60: 4.37
Goals Against/60: 1.44

McMann without Tavares on a line:

TOI: 342.10
xGF%: 46.22
Goals for/60: 2.63
Goals Against/60: 2.26

I'd keep these two stapled together.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
We don't wonder, its just hilariously overblown.

Games are decided on the ice not on the message boards, people get a little too worked up.
It's really not, your organization employs arguably the dirtiest player in the league. A guy who routinely targets players heads and necks and throws punches at the other player before his opponent gets both gloves off and pretends to be tough lol

• Haha
Reactions: FinlandPanther
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad