Pre-Game Talk: Florida @ San Jose "like a cat out of water"

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Props to Howden using his speed to get the goal. The 2 on 1 looked the the Sharks D had the passing lane blocked and was ready to clear the rebound by Howden got 2 steps on him immediately and got to it first.

Hockeycast

Aug 31, 2011
Finland
Could be. Who would make a better winger though, Pirri or Troch? I think Troch is more dynamic and therefore would be better at wing... who knows in the end though

This isn't going to happen but I'd like to see both move to wing in the future.
Barkov - Bjugstad - Shore - 4th line UFA should be our centers IMO.
Put Trocheck or Pirri on the 2nd line and the other one on the third line.
I'd like for DT get 2 UFA D-men and only one UFA forward, rather than the other way around.
I don't want Shore to play with 4th line scrubs all of his career.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Pirri would seem to be a case just like Grabner...if you use him right, he'll be a great player for you. If you expect 2-way play out of him and demote him accordingly for not giving it, he'll be a waste of a roster spot.

Technically, that was our problem with Pavel Bure, too. Only difference is Bure could play defense if he had a mind to...he just wasn't inclined to bother. That one game where he tried to make a point to his coach (I forget if it was Terry Murray at the time) who had berated him on his one way play, where he was throwing his body around and delivering crushing checks despite his 5'11" 190lbs. frame, proved that.

I agree, Pirri to me seems like more of a playmaker version of Brad Boyes, I think he has a good shot at an NHL career if he's used on the first 2 lines and coaches don't expect him to be lights out on the back check.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Despite this being an overall disappointing season, we've had some great instances where you can't help but say to yourself "I am damn excited for the future!" This was by far the biggest one I've seen yet.

In the 2nd Period, Howden, Trocheck, and Pirri absolutely made my jaw hit the floor with the effort they were giving against the Sharks and were giving them fits. Then, in the 3rd, I guess our defense decided to disappear, but my god did Luongo save the day. No disrespect to Tim Thomas, but I don't think the Panthers would have won that game with him in net.

Obviously, that 3rd Period also showed that our defense still needs some major upgrades. I know we had Gudbranson out, but we can never let up 29 shots in a period again. We're so lucky that only one goal was scored thanks to Luongo. However, nevertheless, that was an amazing game and I am so excited from what I've seen from these prospects. We really do have a lot to look forward to in a few years :)

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Based on watching Pirri and what other's have been saying about his game, I think he could be a Stu Barnes type of player. Right now, he has caught lighting in a bottle with Hayes and Howden. Lets just see how that line finishes the season out. Pirri has been really good on the Power Play, especially on the side boards.

I agree with the Grabner comparison. I think its a waste to make Pirri play on the bottom lines. If you had to put him at center you could make the 2nd line center. Put Bjugsad at 3C and try to make a physically dominant shut down line.

Or maybe we are going to be the type of team that rolls four lines, in that case you keep Hayes-Pirri-Howden as the 4th line, except they get increased minute (Pirri and Hayes on the PP, Howden on the PK)

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Based on watching Pirri and what other's have been saying about his game, I think he could be a Stu Barnes type of player. Right now, he has caught lighting in a bottle with Hayes and Howden. Lets just see how that line finishes the season out. Pirri has been really good on the Power Play, especially on the side boards.

I agree with the Grabner comparison. I think its a waste to make Pirri play on the bottom lines. If you had to put him at center you could make the 2nd line center. Put Bjugsad at 3C and try to make a physically dominant shut down line.

Or maybe we are going to be the type of team that rolls four lines, in that case you keep Hayes-Pirri-Howden as the 4th line, except they get increased minute (Pirri and Hayes on the PP, Howden on the PK)

There is no way you can put Bjugs on the 3rd line.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Yah there is NO WAY you bury a talent like Bjugstad on the 3rd line. No chance at all.

I don't think a lot of you are getting the big picture here. Howden-Pirri-Hayes is a great 3rd line. The wingers have size, one has incredible speed, the other has grit. Both have a strong presence in front of the net. Pirri is also a good skater and watching him last night, defensively he really is good enough. Howden is very responsible on the backend and Hayes is constantly hustling out there non-stop. I think the 3 of them could be a solid 3rd line for us. They have speed, grit and scoring ability. I don't think having Pirri on the 3rd line is wasting him, especially if that line continues with this sort of chemistry.

Not every 3rd line is 3 defensive, checking forwards. Sometimes having a scorer like Pirri on a line like that adds another dimension and creates more success for all 3.

Erick*

I think that this is sort of irrelevant because I see Pirri as a winger long-term. Trocheck seems like the perfect 3C. His game is so well-rounded. Barkov, Bjugstad, Trocheck, I think is an ideal 1-2-3 at C after watching all these guys play this year.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Makes more sense to put Shore at 4C slot next year vs offensive guys in Trocheck/Pirri. One of those three will start in AHL

Makes even more sense to trade ONE of the three in package deal for Eberle/E Kane/Statsny etc.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Makes more sense to put Shore at 4C slot next year vs offensive guys in Trocheck/Pirri. One of those three will start in AHL

Makes even more sense to trade ONE of the three in package deal for Eberle/E Kane/Statsny etc.

IIRC Pirri would have to pass waivers.

And Shore might too.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice

I think rolling 4 lines is always the best way to go in a 82-game season.

Hockeycast

Aug 31, 2011
Finland
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind hanging on to Upshall for a little while longer.

He's been pretty good this year but where do we put him?
We just re-signed Boyes and we've got guys like Pirri, Hayes, Trocheck, Howden who all deserve roster spots. Maybe if we'd trade one of the young guys for a d-man but then again I don't want to trade any of our young forwards as they've all been playing well :D

Gordonx11

#CatsAreComing
Jan 21, 2013
Kansas City, MO
We just re-signed Boyes and we've got guys like Pirri, Hayes, Trocheck, Howden who all deserve roster spots. Maybe if we'd trade one of the young guys for a d-man but then again I don't want to trade any of our young forwards as they've all been playing well :D

So our leading point scorer doesn't deserve a roster spot?

Olax

Jun 15, 2009

Upshall seems like a pretty good leader for the young guys. I think we will be team rolling four lines next season so I can't see why we couldn't keep him? You need guys like him to play with the young talent if you wan't to succeed. Boyes is a veteran sure but not excactly true leader material from what I've seen and heard. A healthy Upshall is pretty much a perfect 3rd line energy player who can score 30-40 points per season.

I know his value is pretty much as high as it has ever been but I still don't think we'd get anything valuable enough in return for him to justify offloading him. If some of the other GM's happen to have a man-crush on him and overpay for him at the draft, I might reconsider. Plus I don't even want us to overpay for another borderline 2nd liner who might or might not fit in well with our young core. Rather just keep him and try to get rid of at least Fleischmann somehow.

Hockeycast

Aug 31, 2011
Finland
So our leading point scorer doesn't deserve a roster spot?

Not saying that we shouldn't keep him but I'm just curious on seeing what DT is going to do. I'd like to keep him on the 3rd line.
I'd also like to see some of the young guys in the NHL though.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
upshall will definitely play out his last year here, on the 3rd for sure. kopecky will stay too unless someone is willing to take him. he'll play 4th im sure. then compliance buyout flash depending on who we draft/sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad