Florida Panthers Officially Name Joel Quenneville Their Next Head Coach

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Damn, Buffalo is screwed.

Toronto no doubt will go big again and get a Dman to make them more balanced.

Tampa retains most of their core pieces if not all.

More growth and progression in Boston, they no doubt will be a slightly better team.

Montreal will no doubt improve, they fix their hole on LD and their forwards (youngest in the league) take a step forward

Florida goes from being a borderline team to a legitimate playoff team practically overnight.

Buffalo sinks under the weight of the Atlantic. Looks like they are at least a few years away from playoffs

Reactions: Rob Brown

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Damn, Buffalo is screwed.

Toronto no doubt will go big again and get a Dman to make them more balanced.

Tampa retains most of their core pieces if not all.

More growth and progression in Boston, they no doubt will be a slightly better team.

Montreal will no doubt improve, they fix their hole on LD and their forwards (youngest in the league) take a step forward

Florida goes from being a borderline team to a legitimate playoff team practically overnight.

Buffalo sinks under the weight of the Atlantic. Looks like they are at least a few years away from playoffs
I do t see Toronto improving at all.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
But Quennville was on record apparently saying that he was looking for a team with a clear path to cup contention. They don't have Panarin or Bobrovsky yet. If he signs there under the assumption those two players are joining the club wouldn't that fall under some sort of collusion? It would mean the two players have reached some agreement with the club (negotiated) before their current contracts expired. That would raise some serious questions.

They do have Barkov, Trocheck, Huberdeau, Dadonov,(Hoffman) locked up at F, with plenty of quality prospect to go with them, and a lot of cap space.

That's a pretty nice group to start building with.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The atlantic division has its 3 playoff berths set up for the foreseeable future in Tampa, Boston, and Toronto.

Florida was supposed to be that 4th team this year, but now they look like they will make a more serious push for it. The habs came in this year with 96 points and emphasized that they are also going to push for the postseason. Buffalo has to turn it around eventually as well, maybe as soon as next year.

This division seems like it's getting even tougher to succeed in.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
They do have Barkov, Trocheck, Huberdeau, Dadonov,(Hoffman) locked up at F, with plenty of quality prospect to go with them, and a lot of cap space.

That's a pretty nice group to start building with.

They're not starting from scratch, but it's a group that hasn't shown it's remotely close to cup contention. And, if Joel goes there under the assumption that the CBJ players are on their way, that's a serious breach on the part of the Panthers.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Good luck Q. Appreciate everything you did.
Funny that hes bringing along kitch though, guy sucks at his job.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The atlantic division has its 3 playoff berths set up for the foreseeable future in Tampa, Boston, and Toronto.

Florida was supposed to be that 4th team this year, but now they look like they will make a more serious push for it. The habs came in this year with 96 points and emphasized that they are also going to push for the postseason. Buffalo has to turn it around eventually as well, maybe as soon as next year.

This division seems like it's getting even tougher to succeed in.
I could see Boston dropping quickly. It hasn't happened yet, but their #1 is still over 40 years old, two of their top forwards are over 30 (as is their second-line center), and their goalie is most known for being crazy even among goalies.

They've brought in some nice pieces, but they're still going to have some big holes when Chara retires, and if Marchand and Bergeron slow down.

Toronto is also kind of interesting. They have a big hole in their D, and they're probably not going to be able to fill it through FA with the money they're going to have to pay Marner.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Wouldn't be that hard to do for them, just needs to make a trade to add a RD. Even if they don't, that's still a rough road for Buffalo to fight.

Why is it a rough road for Buffalo but not Montreal? Why is Montreal guaranteed to improve but Buffalo sink’s after firing their high school level head coach.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That would be awesome for the Panthers if this is true. Q seems like a great fit there and should do well.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They're not starting from scratch, but it's a group that hasn't shown it's remotely close to cup contention. And, if Joel goes there under the assumption that the CBJ players are on their way, that's a serious breach on the part of the Panthers.

They've fixed their F group during the last few seasons, and could be adding a big piece in Panarin.

That's not a problem for them, D-zone play has been killing them, including Luongo being abysmal.
With the right coach+ improvements in the D-zone they have potential to make a major jump in the standings, that offense is high end.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I could see Boston dropping quickly. It hasn't happened yet, but their #1 is still over 40 years old, two of their top forwards are over 30 (as is their second-line center), and their goalie is most known for being crazy even among goalies.

They've brought in some nice pieces, but they're still going to have some big holes when Chara retires, and if Marchand and Bergeron slow down.

Toronto is also kind of interesting. They have a big hole in their D, and they're probably not going to be able to fill it through FA with the money they're going to have to pay Marner.

Sure, but for the foreseeable future. I'm not looking too far ahead.

I think for Boston, the biggest task would be to find someone to fill Bergeron's shoes. Marchand should have a few more years of good hockey. Chara seems more like a symbolic figure in terms of what he brings now. So yes, they do risk falling, but I don't think it's quite the same level epidemic, and I think they are a safe bet for the next year or two.

Toronto is a team that should out score its holes in the regular season in that same time frame too.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Chara hasn't been their number 1 d though. Other than that, yeah I get what your saying. Still a big ask for Buffalo to beat them or Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad