GDT: Florida Panthers @ Colorado Avalanche - 10/21/14 - 9PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
3rd Panthers-game for me this year and by far the best. Seems like you team is finally finding some chemistry. Still too much dump & chase for my liking but it's getting there.

Ekblad is really really good, he's the real deal. Thought Bjugs and Bergie were the best forwards. And you could see the relief on the faces of Barkov and Jokinen when they finally got their first points of the season :laugh:

I like the way 90% of the lineup is.

Killer Bees are a well oiled line. Everyone knows where the other 2 will be at all times. Grit, puck possession and shot on that line.

The Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Upshall line would be good if Uppy stopped taking dumb penalties. I like his effort, but he needs to keep his discipline. Would love if Pirri could replace him on the second line, but, I think Gallant likes his hustle paired with Hubs and Bjugs.

Even the third line of Jokinen-Pirri-Flash looks good out there. While Flash is still trying to find his scoring touch, he isn't useless out there. Even when Bolland gets healthy, I think that line will be solid.

The fourth line is grit and hustle. Love it. Kopecky is playing very well, and is productive on the PK. Love the way D-Mac is playing. Hard working bottom six guy that is fearless. Even Thornton is playing solid hockey.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
This team needs two things:

1. An above average top line scoring winger.

We really need one legit goal scorer that can really take the pressure off of some of the youngsters. I think a guy like Eberle would be ideal for Barkov's line, because Barky is so good defensively, he can cover Eberle's miscues.

2. A veteran Dman to pair with Gudbranson.

I like Olsen, but we need a vet to play with Guds. You see what a vet like Soupy can do with Ekblad, and Mitchell can do with Kuli, so I think a vet paired with Guds would work out for him better.

I think its time Tallon starts mortgaging part of our future. Our 1st next year, and a handful of prospects, are off limits, but anything else should be in play. If we can add those two pieces to this team, I don't see why we couldn't compete for a playoff spot.

I dont have a problem trading that pick if it means we will be competitive till April this year.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Its so awesome that Sasha and Ekblad are roommates.

I was not aware of this and that bathroom photo made my morning.

We may have a young Fry and Laurie on-ice blooming.

Ekblad will short his sheets next.

As much as I enjoy their personalities, as long as they keep deconstructing PK's like they did last night they could be Marleau boring and I'd learn to live with it.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I must say our defense 5 on 5 has been outstanding. Good support by our offense guys supporting our defensemen with easy breakouts. The amount of turnovers compared to last year is way way down.

Still concerned about our PK not doing enough. To much room for opposition to do whatever they want, need to block shots, get aggressive.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
I like that Barkov and Ekky are roommates. It helps Barky learn english and it gets him out of his 'comfort zone' from being all the time with finnish guys and spesking finnish all the time.

Edit: do the roommates change oftenly? Do they get pick who to room up with or do the coaches have the say? Just wondering.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I must say our defense 5 on 5 has been outstanding. Good support by our offense guys supporting our defensemen with easy breakouts. The amount of turnovers compared to last year is way way down.

Still concerned about our PK not doing enough. To much room for opposition to do whatever they want, need to block shots, get aggressive.

It's not like we're the 3rd most penalized team or anything :sarcasm:

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
This team needs two things:

1. An above average top line scoring winger.

We really need one legit goal scorer that can really take the pressure off of some of the youngsters. I think a guy like Eberle would be ideal for Barkov's line, because Barky is so good defensively, he can cover Eberle's miscues.

2. A veteran Dman to pair with Gudbranson.

I like Olsen, but we need a vet to play with Guds. You see what a vet like Soupy can do with Ekblad, and Mitchell can do with Kuli, so I think a vet paired with Guds would work out for him better.

I think its time Tallon starts mortgaging part of our future. Our 1st next year, and a handful of prospects, are off limits, but anything else should be in play. If we can add those two pieces to this team, I don't see why we couldn't compete for a playoff spot.

100% agree! the hard thing is to part with whatever it is we're gonna have to give up in that case cuz i do think eberle is gonna be pricey. after yesterdays game i would, for example, never trade bjugs for eberle. he's sort of player is just to rare.

edit: but a decent/good veteran d-man to play with guddy is realistic and acually pretty vital for his development

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I like that Barkov and Ekky are roommates. It helps Barky learn english and it gets him out of his 'comfort zone' from being all the time with finnish guys and spesking finnish all the time.

Edit: do the roommates change oftenly? Do they get pick who to room up with or do the coaches have the say? Just wondering.
I guess it depends team wise. Veteran players (I think it was 600 or 800 games) can get their own room however if they want it.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Still "buzzin" after last nights game. Makes workdays better, doesn't it?

Again kudos to the kids, AND the vets. kopy was awesome (sorry Erick) and flash was giving it all. Kuli ( a vet at 300 games?) is really becoming what we all hoped and prayed.

Pirris's shot was the lst threatening shot in 6 games.

Not that I condone it, but a few even went on the avs site and trash talked. Shocked the crap out of em... LOL.

We still maybe that sniper away from the playoffs, but so happy there is a compete level.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Even after a theatrical win like last night, I'm still cautiously otimistic about this team. But, I will say that if we play like last night, we will win more than we will lose. All depends on health, our powerplay clicking and staying out of the box. By the way, Barkov did end up making a lateral pass, but Gallant didn't bench him. Great decision! Hope the team can play like last night on most nights.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Assuming Bolland is back for Arizona, Upshall has to be the one who sits at this point right?

I wouldn't change a thing going into the Arizona game.

The reason to leave Pirri in the lineup is what happened in the first period. Pirri set the tone last night with a first period snipe. Gallant would be insane to take him out. ESPECIALLY against a stingy team like the Yotes. We need all the finishers in the lineup to capitalize on limited opportunities.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Him or Flash IMO. Upshall brings energy but keeps taking dumb penalties which is inexcusable. Flash just can't score. I don't see Bolland being on the bench and he's been ok anyway.

but you know gallant. pirri could be the odd man out :shakehead

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I wouldn't change a thing going into the Arizona game.

The reason to leave Pirri in the lineup is what happened in the first period. Pirri set the tone last night with a first period snipe. Gallant would be insane to take him out. ESPECIALLY against a stingy team like the Yotes. We need all the finishers in the lineup to capitalize on limited opportunities.

Bolland doesn't deserve to sit.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I haven't been that happy to get a win in a damn long time. If we would have lost, I think half of our fanbase might have wanted to fly to Denver and strangle Ian Walsh. This had to be one of the worst called games I've ever seen and rivals the Buffalo game from last season. I didn't understand how Patrick Roy got a job being a referee along with being the Avs Head Coach and that call on Bjugstad was absolutely bogus. It was indeed nice to see a coach that got absolutely angry at the officials instead of shrugging it off.

The team themselves completely carried the play until they went into penalty hell, which changed momentum. There were a few good rushes for the Avs 5 on 5, but overall the Panthers definitely deserved to get that victory in regulation. I loved the pass from Ekblad to Barkov to get him on the scoresheet for the first time this season. I can see why Jackets fans told us we'd love MacKenzie has he had a fight and tried his best to get into the mix the best he could as well. Just a great overall game from everyone and I wouldn't change anything going into next game.

I will be furious if Pirri doesn't play in Arizona. The kid was in the play nonstop during the game and got a nice goal out of it. I understand not sitting Bolland either, but maybe move Pirri to wing and sit Kopecky? Gallant's going to have his hands full with that decision all season unless someone gets traded.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I will be furious if Pirri doesn't play in Arizona. The kid was in the play nonstop during the game and got a nice goal out of it. I understand not sitting Bolland either, but maybe move Pirri to wing and sit Kopecky? Gallant's going to have his hands full with that decision all season unless someone gets traded.

Nah, Kopecky has been a positive this year.

IMO Thornton should sit next game if Bolland comes back.

Don't think Coyotes have any heavyweights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad