GDT: Florida Panthers @ Arizona Coyotes - 10/25/14 - 9PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
He can be effective in the top6, as long as he plays like Bergenheim. Upshall hasn't played like that this year IMO.

Gallant needs to do something to get him involved in the play again, he's just there and doesn't really do anything right now.

yeah. this makes sense tho. sort of.
i'd personally put him on the fourth line when bolland is back.

bergenheim - barkov - boyes
huberdeau - bjugstad - pirri
flash - bolland - jokinen
kopy - macK - upshall

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Refs reflex is put their arms up if they see a guy go down. Say what you want, but I dont think our players flop/embellish enough. Other teams do it all the time. If I were coach, I would spend some time teach our guys how to act on the ice when they feel a stick in their vicinity. Phoenix did a good job last night of it.

Call me old school, but I don't want to see my favorite team play like that. I'd rather be on the short end of officiating.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
1. After 7 games this team is pretty much where I thought we would be this season - we are on pace for 82 points and I see this as a 86-87 point squad. Again, hopefully the home opener is looked back on as the low point of the season... but man what a low point.

2. I was going to post before the game my three keys... 1. avoid stupid penalties, 2. need Luongo to have a big game - I couldn't think of a third good one, so I gave up and didn't post... but I could have just stopped at 2.

3. I think the penalties are a result of Gallant's emphasis on defensive responsibility and the guys reflexively using their sticks to compensate for lack of positioning. I think as they adapt to his system, the penalty numbers will naturally go down.... but for gosh sake, Gudbranson please stop shooting the puck into the stands from the defensive zone.

4. I think there is room for optimism - barring injury to Luongo it is likely that goals for will improve more than goals against will worsen.

3. Score more than 1 goal would have been a good one.

About the penalties. I can live with Gud's penalty he's not trying to shoot it out of play accidents happen.

But the lazy hooks, trips and straight up stupid plays like putting your hand on the puck in the face off circle have got to stop.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
At least we got points in all games on the road trip and we're darn solid team 5-5. The penalties is something we can improve on. Can't belive I was going to say this but I don't feel doom and gloom, pretty optimistic at the moment although cautious of course. I'm even taking 2 non hockey fans from work to the Flyers game next Saturday lol hope we win that and get 2 new fans

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Tallon complaining about all the penalties.. Hmm, ok. Hey Dale, what about the uh lack of scoring? How about you get off your complaining-a and get this team a couple complementary scorers?

I swear this is ****ing pathetic.

GUkK83x.png

Btw, one of the few guys with zero PIM's? Guess who.. Brian Campbell. The guy everyone wants traded, lol.

Last edited:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
At least we got points in all games on the road trip and we're darn solid team 5-5. The penalties is something we can improve on. Can't belive I was going to say this but I don't feel doom and gloom, pretty optimistic at the moment although cautious of course. I'm even taking 2 non hockey fans from work to the Flyers game next Saturday lol hope we win that and get 2 new fans

If Ghostisbere gets his first NHL goal against us, then I'm convinced the whole season is scripted.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Five of 7 games we've scored 1 goal in regulation.

Look no further for reasons we are not a success.

As of today, we have the lowest scoring lineup in the NHL, including the teams tanking for McDavid. Freaking pathetic. Also, it's incredible that we have 7 points in 7 games when we score less than the class nerd in high school.

anders and

Nov 16, 2013
Tallon complaining about all the penalties.. Hmm, ok. Hey Dale, what about the uh lack of scoring? How about you get off your complaining-a and get this team a couple complementary scorers?

GUkK83x.png

Btw, one of the few guys with zero PIM's? Guess who.. Brian Campbell. The guy everyone wants traded, lol.

When the penalities end, the scoring will come. This is a causal effect. Staying out of the penalty box will give more 5vs 5 time = increase chance of scoring.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
As of today, we have the lowest scoring lineup in the NHL, including the teams tanking for McDavid. Freaking pathetic. Also, it's incredible that we have 7 points in 7 games when we score less than the class nerd in high school.

We are an 80-85 point team as the roster sits. great goaltending and d. No O.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
I don't think trading Huberdeau is a good idea. Say what you want about the lack of scoring, but if you can't realize that killing penalties for 25% of these games is our #1 problem, then I don't know how to break it to you. How's Huberdeau supposed to score when he's on the bench (and occasionally in the box) for 15mins a game? I don't know the actual math, but that probably takes a good 6 mins of ice time from him as well as Barkov. Stay out of the box, and the scoring chances will come.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Lol, the 3 stars from the game...Smith is really the second star? That has to be a joke right

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yes, we obviously need more scoring, but penalties are just as big of a problem. Stupid penalties are a much easier problem to fix. That's cost us at least 2-3 pts. already. We are at the top of the league in PIMs as well as the bottom of the league in scoring.

Barkov has been playing a lot better. It's only a matter of time before it translates into points for him. Some of you guys are out of your damn minds. Some other guys who didn't come in and light the league on fire right away....Tavares, Kessel, Van Riemsdyk, Seguin, Kopitar.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
For those of you who want to move Bjugstad to the wing, I wouldn't be against trying it but I don't think you move a 6'6" forward from the center position. With his size and skating ability he can be an extremely effective two way player. Slotting him on the wing will take away from that benefit a bit. Part of why we've been so successful 5 on 5 has been the strength of our 2 way play by the centers.

Pirri also sucks defensively. He'd make a much better winger than Bjugstad IMO. Pirri doesn't really care about playing defense at all. All he thinks about is offense. I might be OK with moving Bjugstad to wing if we had a legitmate option to replace him as a #2 center. And no, that's not Trocheck or Shore.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Pirri also sucks defensively. He'd make a much better winger than Bjugstad IMO. Pirri doesn't really care about playing defense at all. All he thinks about is offense. I might be OK with moving Bjugstad to wing if we had a legitmate option to replace him as a #2 center. And no, that's not Trocheck or Shore.

Pirri sucks defensively??? Pirri played really well on both sides of the ice! Especially against Arizona last game. Was even at Luongos goal

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I wouldn't bench anyone for the penalties but if they persist in the next game as well, then some actions are required. Only a handful of players are safe from any accusations of not doing their job. Thus, the blame initially goes to the coach and benching certain players doesn't fix immediate situation with the penalties. That being said, I would scratch Upshall and Kopecky for their overall performance and put Trocheck and Hayes to the lineup (if Bolland stays sidelined):

Bergenheim - Barkov - Boyes
Flash - Pirri - Jokinen
Huby - Trocheck - Bjugs
Thornton - MacK - Hayes

I'd imagine that Bjugstad would be better off as a winger since he's able to battle in the corners. As much as I don't like the perimeter play of Jokinen and Flash, for some reason they are still able to make their line work.

Why? He's been very good. One of our best PK players, and a good 4th line energy player

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't trade Hubs for Yak since that his value is lower than that of Hubs because the difference of being a major defensive liability overrules his value as a sniper. Furthermore, the dump 'n chase tactic wouldn't do any favors for Yak since it's would make him look like a lite-Huby. So in my mind the trade would end up being Huby and something for Huby-lite.

That's true. Yakupov would probably fail miserably here.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Upshall brings absolutely nothing to the top 6. Once Bolland is healthy, I really hope Pirri plays the wing with Huby and Bjugs.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Pirri sucks defensively??? Pirri played really well on both sides of the ice! Especially against Arizona last game. Was even at Luongos goal

I only saw half the 3rd and OT, but traditionally Pirri has not been good defensively. Gallant said that's why he held him out of the lineup the first few games. I'm glad to hear that though.

Why? He's been very good. One of our best PK players, and a good 4th line energy player

I agree. I was for scratching him before the season, but he's been great on the PK and a big reason we are a top 5 on 5 team. He's not going to be scratched anytime soon.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

GUkK83x.png

Less penalties - more 5 on 5 - more scoring chances - more goals.

Oh and the PP really has to improve.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I only saw half the 3rd and OT, but traditionally Pirri has not been good defensively. Gallant said that's why he held him out of the lineup the first few games. I'm glad to hear that though.

Pirri was great defensively yesterday. Excellent positioning.

Having watched him closely he really isn't a liability. He's impressing, and surely has to stay in the lineup when Bolland returns. 2 goals in 2 games. At this pace he will have over 70 goals!

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I believe only one of the penalties out of the eight last night were weak calls. The team just played completely undisciplined and I am honestly shocked that we made it to overtime. You can credit Mr. Luongo for receiving the one point. I felt so bad for the guy after the game. This is a large factor to our awful offense when you're on the penalty kill for 1/3 of the game.

I think if the discipline can gradually get better, we are really not a bad team and could challenge until the end of the season for a playoff spot. Thinking back of how many times we were in the box throughout the road trip, I'm pretty damn happy with six out of eight points. Of course, one would wonder if we could have won all four games had we played more disciplined. I'm hoping the team has a fire lit under their ass from this game and they have plenty of time off to prepare themselves for Thursday.

Pirri once again showed why he needs to be in the lineup and since he's not a penalty killer, it's why he had diminished ice time. I know Jokinen and Flash have gotten votes to be sat, but my vote still goes to Upshall despite making a few good defensive plays.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Just for the sake of noting, Jacob Markstrom has given up 1 goal in 4 starts in the AHL, and has 3 straight shutouts. Definitely not regretting the trade, just thought it was worth bringing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad