Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs. Canucks - time to make Vancouver rainier than usual

Victor?

• Total voters

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
I have heard they want to switch with different players (not only Janmark) for Henrique`s spot.
Maybe with an extra forward or with a different line.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I do agree that you shouldn't be called out for having an opinion that differs from the majority of the board but that Flames team was definitely better than this Canucks team, their top line in particular was dominant, their forecheck was ferocious and they had a Vezina caliber goalie. I truly didn't think the Oilers had much of a chance in that series.

I don't think this Canucks team is as good as that team although I do think they present matchup problems for the Oilers with their speed and forecheck, the Oilers defense struggles with heavy forechecks which is why it was baffling that the Kings stuck with the passive 1-3-1 outside of Game 4 but I'm glad they did.
I'm not picking the Canucks to win the series but I think this will be a much stiffer test than the Kings were especially for the defense. I actually think they'll be in for a rude awakening in Game 1 handling Vancouver's aggressiveness.
I specifically stated:
Not calling out with this"

It was just odd that only 3 posters here selected the Nucks. In the case of @Sra1974 I thank him for his answers. Which is what I wanted to here. For the posters to elaborate on their predictions.

Sorry but the bolded is odd. You feared that Flames team? Several of us here were saying the Flames were paper tigers at the time.

Even the Flames headcoach felt that the Oilers were clearly the better team. If you were surprised by that series you seem to be shorting the topguns we have here while giving the flames far too much credit.

The problem with the Flames is that Gaudreau and Pettersson will predictably disappear in playoffs. Small and soft doesn't do it in playoffs. Those players typically don't prevail. That means immediately that in playoffs everything fell on Tkachuk or with the Nucks on JT Miller.

The Canucks are a bit better than that Flames team because they play a bit more modern system and are coached well. They have a coach in his zenith. By Sutters last time in Calgary he wasn't really in it anymore. Further the Oilers have never had trouble solving Flames goaltending. If anything they've shredded it.

Nucks will be on pucks and outnumber in situations better than the Flames would.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Crap. Henrique was so good on first line and affording Nuge being on 2nd. This throws a wrench in that. Didn't note when Henrique was injured.

I could do without Brown being the one coming in. In the pace of this series I don't think he would add much.

I think the Oilers win in 6 truthfully. I did put money on Nucks in 7 as as hedge. I feel like if we lose it's most likely in 7 and the odds are better

Damn tho, I didn't think voting Nucks in 7 on a message board would put your panties in a bunch. ( I changed my vote)

Everyone is overrating the Oilers and its nauseating. I miss when the oilers were +1800 to Win the Cup and everyone said they were cooked.
Odder still you would find support of a homeside nauseating. Your shits f***ed up. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think I chose Oilers in 5 or 6 in round 1. Was pretty confident of that.

As for your question if they get past this round, I would still think I would vote for them to likely lose, barring a rash of injuries in the other side. I think this series contains the 7 and 8th best teams left unfortunately. Doesn’t mean they can’t win Them, or won’t win, but I can’t consider them favourites.
Wanted to thank you for all your answers on this. Not that you had to. I was genuinely curious in your case.

I think theres nothing to where teams place. This doesn't define anything because some teams will play all out in regular season and some won't. NHL history is full of Presidents Trophy winners not winning and lower placed clubs winning. AV's placed third in Central while still being the favorite.

As for the rest of playoffs its a harder row this postseason than last. All the better teams advanced which is diametrically different than last season where it was very possible if we just got by Vegas. All of the contender teams are bringing their game better and unpacking it this playoffs. Would've been easier to win last season but the Oilers seem to be feeling it now. Its the best they've ever played against LA for instance.

Reactions: Sra1974

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I hope the team isn’t as overconfident as some of the fans seem to be. Vancouver has the Oilers’ number and when we had the chance to redeem ourselves late in the season and potentially take the division lead the Canucks prevailed. That has to be in the Oilers heads even if they’ll deny it.

For me 3 things need to happen for the Oilers to win:
1) Skinner needs to maintain a svp of .900 or better over the course of the series
2) Special teams need to continue operate at at least a combined 105% or better, ie 25% PP/80% PK
3) McDavid’s line needs to outscore Miller’s line at even strength. He was often stifled at 5v5 vs LA with only 3 ES points, and the Canucks will be studying the tape thoroughly.

If these 3 things happen the Oilers will win, if not the Canucks will take this series.
This view though is created by 3 of the games being in the Oilers first 11 games where they struggled under Woodcroft/Manson. We'd since heard Manson was dealing with the recent death of his wife (RIP)

That is too much to endure in pro sports and he ought to have had time off. There is no way the team was adequately prepared to start season and it showed early on, not just against the Canucks. Sure the Canucks beat us the 4th time but two of the games we outplayed the Nucks, badly imo. I do think by the 4th game the Oilers weren't too inclined not to play possum. The Oilers seemed OK this season with finishing first, and especially with LA being the likely matchup.

I disagree most with the bolded. This would not be the case and the Oilers do veer to confidence. They would not be prone to thinking Canucks have their number. The Oilers are more resilient core than that.

Nucks are a non premium club. Clearly the worst first place club in the league that got as much as they did through bizarre PDO, unsustainable shooting percentage and HDSC save percentage.

The Nucks had immense trouble against the Nashville Preds and could have lost that series.

Reactions: barry halls

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Didn’t Rico have some nagging injury when we traded for him? I can’t remember what it was but maybe that’s bothering him again. I liked him in that line so hopefully he’s good to go.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It's comical how they're pre-baking the excuses. They're a bunch of overgrown children. The level of emotional and intellectual maturity from Nuck fans is appallingly low.
They want to act confident and throw out how they beat up on us in the regular season but everything gets qualified with the “house money” argument because they know they haven’t faced the best version of the Oilers yet and they’re scared.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
They want to act confident and throw out how they beat up on us in the regular season but everything gets qualified with the “house money” argument because they know they haven’t faced the best version of the Oilers yet and they’re scared.

I was at the game here a few weeks ago, and I can tell you that "sweeping" the Oilers in the regular season was a HUGE deal for them. Saw a lot of clowns taking videos of each other flashing 4 fingers followed up with a 0 for the socials, etc. It was equal parts hilarious and pathetic.

Funny how things change a few weeks later.

ManOfSteelI

Nov 5, 2018
I think the main reason you'd see Janmark on that LW would be because he's defensively responsible. So, you probably see him out there when that line starts in the DZ. Also, as that tweet from Spec says, there'll be rotation with others - Holloway obviously makes the most sense.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I was at the game here a few weeks ago, and I can tell you that "sweeping" the Oilers in the regular season was a HUGE deal for them. Saw a lot of clowns taking videos of each other flashing 4 fingers followed up with a 0 for the socials, etc. It was equal parts hilarious and pathetic.

Funny how things change a few weeks later.
When you have literally zero history in 50 years regular season wins are a big deal.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I don't even remember a riot around this time. What was the context?

Wasn't really a specific thing. Basically a ton of drunk people all got out of the bar at the same time, some fights broke out and then it went downhill from there.

The "Doug Weight trade caused the riot!" theory is totally out of left field, and probably shared by nobody other than the poster pushing it.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Wasn't really a specific thing. Basically a ton of drunk people all got out of the bar at the same time, some fights broke out and then it went downhill from there.

The "Doug Weight trade caused the riot!" theory is totally out of left field, and probably shared by nobody other than the poster pushing it.
Oh yeah, the Canada Day "riots."

I vaguely recall that but never did anything for Canada Day so it was a bit off my radar.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't even remember a riot around this time. What was the context?
Whyte Avenue being a drunken shithole at the best of times. If people wonder how much try going for a walk there any Saturday or Sunday morning before they have to spray or shovel last nights vomit off the sidewalks. A bizarre amount.

Last edited:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Team did a great job of showing me they weren't the same old team from years before repeating the same mistakes.

Three things I loved about the L.A game that I'm hoping carries forward into this one.
1. They won game f***ing 1.. wow
2. Leon was a monster and his defensive game was almost as good as his offensive game.
3. Didn't give up the equalizer after getting a lead that I recall.

I'm looking forward to game 1 as this is where they historically really shit the bed. They've played 3 game 1's after wining a series in the last two years. They got Massacred in all 3. Calgary, Colorado, Vegas. All game 1s the Oilers couldn't find their game.

That's what I'll be watching for. Can they find their game or do they tip toe in like series past.

I think Vancouver is going to play a very conservative game like L.A does. Try and turn it into coin flip hockey. I'm prepared to curse at their lucky bounces/deflections.

UHHHH SON

Sep 29, 2010

Everyone and their dog knew Weight was priced out of Edmonton. It was no surprise. Fans that started following hockey in the salary cap era have no understanding of the NHL prior.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Everyone and their dog knew Weight was priced out of Edmonton. It was no surprise. Fans that started following hockey in the salary cap era have no understanding of the NHL prior.

I was 11 years old at the time and even I knew that dealing him was telegraphed for at least a year leading up.

Broke this child's heart, but I knew it was coming.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oh yeah, the Canada Day "riots."

I vaguely recall that but never did anything for Canada Day so it was a bit off my radar.
Some extremely irresponsible alcohol sales also contributed. One of the Canada day riots occurred as Royal Glenora had some huge extravaganza going on and they were selling 1 buck drinks and 1buck beer all day. Have no idea why they were doing that or who thought that was a good idea but 10K cheap people showed up to get absolutely shitfaced all day long. by 11 there were a lot of young people around that had more to drink than ever. Combine that with the alcohol sales on Whyte and the two large factions merged into one right out of control Canada day party.

Things like Proserve liquor regulations and recommendations sprung out of the mess.

Something too was different in years from around 94- to early in this millenium. Seemed to be a lot of youth anger just looking for a match. Things seem calmer now. But even in Woodstocks 99 was the one that went completely sideways and so it seemed all over that was an edgy time for some reason.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think Tocchet saying the league reached out about embellishing is hilarious. If they were reaching out wouldn’t it be to warn teams that are known for diving?

I’m guessing a lot of Tocchets game plan is going to be built around obstructing Mcdavid as much as possible so he’s trying to plant the seed that Mcdavid doesn’t fight through checks.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
oddly enough the one I had was Habs vs. Canucks. Must have been a Consumers' Distributing mega sale
Consumer distributors reminds me of the old Sask Liquor store when I went with my dad. Write the stock number on a slip of paper with a pencil and the union paid dude would walk into the storeroom, show you the bottle and quickly hide it in a paper bag and take your money.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Gotta finish the Nucks before Demko is ready

The Canucks asked the Knights for the secret to Stones magic timely healing. After finding out the magic is just lies, Pettersson is trying to dive himself in to the future for an instant cure…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad