GDT: Florida Panthers @ Arizona Coyotes - 10/25/14 - 9PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
That's why I posted in the Pirri thread about how I appreciate his selfishness on the ice. Love it. I hope he keeps it up. He's got a nice NHL shot and being selfish in the O zone is paying dividends for him and the Panthers. Him and Luongo were big reasons why we earned a point Saturday night. Pirri scored, without his goal, we wouldn't have had a shot at the 2 points.

We need a couple more Pirris on the team that's for sure. I was really impressed with his D in the last game. For as much as hype as our other high draft pick forwards get Pirri has the best shot, offensive instincts, O aggressiveness and just a sheer lust for wanting to score on every shift compared to the way Huby, Bjugs and Barkov play the game.

I think if either Bjugstad or Barkov had Pirris brain in there bodies we would have a superstar on the team.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah, Barkov played his best game last night IMO. It didn't show up on the score sheet but he looked real good to me. First and foremost lead by his defense.

And speaking of defense, Bjugstad has looked really good on d as well. When he uses his long stick when closing in on the defensemen on the forecheck, you can see them get flustered a little, they feel a little cornered. The Arizona defense didn't turn it over because they are really good (OEL/Yandle). But I believe he is going create a lot of turnovers with his forecheck. Barkov and Bjugstad could become like Bergeron and Krejci, except bigger. Hint hint, it would be a crime to move Bjugstad wing. Screw that.

Any team with two big talented centers has a lot of success. Especially when they are good two-ways. I agree. It is too good of a thing to split up.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I agree completely that Barkov needs to shoot more. It's a mentality though, one he doesn't quite have. He's always been a pass first guy and likely always will be. He needs to realize he is the best offensive player on this team though. I agree. As much as we say the onus is on our vets to perform, the onus is also on Barkov. Without him firing on all cylinders, this is all hopeless.
We can't put the blame solely on Barkov here, since Bergy and Boyes are the designated shooters of that line and their playmaking skills are average.

There's a thing Gretzky has said about playing with Kurri, the reason why it worked so well was that Gretzky knew he could get the puck back from Kurri and vice versa. It was kind of selfish, but yet at the same time it wasn't.

IMO the same can be applied here, but in a different way. Barkov passes the puck to Bergy/Boyes, but he never really expects to get it passed back, nor do Bergy/Boyes expect to do so. The roles of that line are set too much on stone.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
bergenheim's aim is terrible tho. :laugh: pathetic in lack of a better word. he's good at other things tho but barkov's point totals would get crazy if bergenheim could just work on his shooting :naughty:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I can't be too upset looking at the W-L column for these first 7 games.

2-2-3 could of been 1-2-4 or 5-2. Penalties in OT really killed any chances of pulling out a win in two of the three OT losses. However, even in those losses we received a point, which is huge.

New system, new lines(for the first 4-5 games), and new faces in the lineup, so it's hard to expect any success right away.

The main issue has been our nemesis it seems like since 2001, which is goal scoring. Keeping Pirri in the lineup is a good start, but we desperately need 1-2 more scorers.

I think the best way of acquiring 1 would be to go after guys on so-so contracts where the team wouldn't mind moving them to retool or get some cap room. So that the asking price won't be an arm and a leg, Just a leg.

Been impressed with the play of the defense, and I think a lot of the credit goes to Morris.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I can't be too upset looking at the W-L column for these first 7 games.

2-2-3 could of been 1-2-4 or 5-2. Penalties in OT really killed any chances of pulling out a win in two of the three OT losses. However, even in those losses we received a point, which is huge.

New system, new lines(for the first 4-5 games), and new faces in the lineup, so it's hard to expect any success right away.

The main issue has been our nemesis it seems like since 2001, which is goal scoring. Keeping Pirri in the lineup is a good start, but we desperately need 1-2 more scorers.

I think the best way of acquiring 1 would be to go after guys on so-so contracts where the team wouldn't mind moving them to retool or get some cap room. So that the asking price won't be an arm and a leg, Just a leg.

Been impressed with the play of the defense, and I think a lot of the credit goes to Morris.

I think that's the most likely scenario. We aren't going to give up our 1st(especially when hosting the draft), any top prospects, or Bjugs, Hubs, Guds, etc. Unless there is some blockbuster trade presented but that's unlikely. Hopefully in a month or two we can move Flash in a change of scenery type trade.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
There should be absolutely no question that Brandon Pirri is the lineup every single night until he loses focus or his production dips. If they want to fit a healthy Bolland in the lineup, then look at someone else. How about a guy with no goals or assists to this point? There's plenty to choose from. It was irresponsible of the coaching staff to keep Pirri out of the lineup earlier on. Judging by the preseason team totals, it's no secret we have trouble scoring. Everyone in the friggin' league knew it last year and they know it this year.

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I don't think keeping Pirri in the lineup is an issue, it's what happens with the chemistry that the third line has had with him. Neither Flash or Jokinen have scored so far, is that line going to regress back to being useless with Bolland?

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
I don't think keeping Pirri in the lineup is an issue, it's what happens with the chemistry that the third line has had with him. Neither Flash or Jokinen have scored so far, is that line going to regress back to being useless with Bolland?

it would be a blessing if pirri could play lw. didn't he play rw a couple of games last season? jokinen played lw on the barkov line didn't he? haha man im confused. anyways, some installation of this would be solid i think:

pirri - bolland - jokinen
(sniper) - (grit) - (playmaker)

WESEERED

#CatsAreComing
Apr 20, 2012
it would be a blessing if pirri could play lw. didn't he play rw a couple of games last season? jokinen played lw on the barkov line didn't he? haha man im confused. anyways, some installation of this would be solid i think:

and where do u put flash

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL

Pirri played on the wing on both sides last year. Tallon said he would be given a look at left wing during the offseason and I remember him on the wing for a preseason game or two. And the Barkov line was Huberdeau-Barkov-Jokinen. He can play both right and left wing so that's not a big issue.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
These line problems point to the fact we simply have too many contracts. Trade one of the scrubs for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I'm looking at you flash.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
These line problems point to the fact we simply have too many contracts. Trade one of the scrubs for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I'm looking at you flash.

The Panthers would be lucky to get a 5th round pick for him. If they could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad